You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valley Flyers Pizza Fun Fly, April 9 2016 at Apollo XI Field (Van Nuys, CA)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the reminder Jon. I need to add a label to the new P-38. After reading about the FAA stopping by Apollo recently, I figured I better get everything labeled properly. ;)
    Pat

Comment

Our FAA inspector is very nice. He's interested in flying RC himself. But still, it should go without saying that at an AMA field, you'll need your FAA number inside your planes. Good call, guys.

For those wanting to do the swap meet, I'll reiterate the most sellers/buyers come early. I plan to be fully set up at 7am. So you're leaving Long Beach at 5:45, Pat! I have a camper van and you're welcome to nap inside it at some point to get through the day, ha! We're flying till 7:30pm.
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I've done LB to Apollo many times on an early Sat morning. It's 45 minutes at most (no accidents of course) straight up the 405.
        Pat

Comment

Oh man! You guys are making me want to hop a flight from Texas to get to Apollo! Stop it...stop it...stop it, please!!!

Comment

C'mon Skywolf....I am flying in to Ontairio Airport Thurs night and grabbing a rental car. It was alot cheaper than flying into LAX. Little over an hour to the field and your there. I am flying back out Sun morning just in time to be back to work Mon morning. Piece o cake!!! If you decide to come, your wife will quit being mad at you in an hour, your credit card will recover in a year, but the memories will last you a lifetime!!! I am just kidding, my wife is still mad at me..Lol. Actually I think she wants me out of the house. Win...Win

Comment

Originally posted by Addison.MotionRC View Post
              C'mon Skywolf....I am flying in to Ontairio Airport Thurs night and grabbing a rental car. It was alot cheaper than flying into LAX. Little over an hour to the field and your there. I am flying back out Sun morning just in time to be back to work Mon morning. Piece o cake!!! If you decide to come, your wife will quit being mad at you in an hour, your credit card will recover in a year, but the memories will last you a lifetime!!! I am just kidding, my wife is still mad at me..Lol. Actually I think she wants me out of the house. Win...Win
              Funny Addison! I was just checking airfare, motel, and car rental. Whew...LAX is expensive! Didn't think about Ontario. I stayed at a hotel,at that airport when I went to th AMA Expo last year. I'll check the airfare there.

Where will you be staying?

Comment

I am staying at the Best Western that is just East of the field. I believe it was about 159 a night(ouch). I didnt want to drive 30 miles every night to try and save 20 bucks for a room.

Comment

I'll be having Project Excalibur at this event for anyone wanting a test drive...

Comment

I shall also be at the Pizza Fly In on the Saturday, I'm planning on driving down on early on Saturday morning. Unfortunately I can't be there on Sunday. I'm planning on bring my FMS Olympus, TechOne Yak 55 and a Dynam Meteor.

I'm really looking forward to meeting many of you I speak to on the phone each day. I'll be there to answer any questions you may have about our products and generally enjoy the day.

Martin

Comment

Looking forward to meeting you, Martin.

We had a great day flying a few maidens and lots of cool stuff at Apollo. Our group will easily fill half of the pit area. We'll be there both days!

Comment

Has anyone else been tracking the evolving weather forecast? Please tell me that I shouldn't be concerned about the rain now forecast for Saturday and Sunday?!

Comment

Yeah, does not look too good. Regardless, I am still coming.
                          Pat

Comment

Yep...Evelyn and I are committed to attending Saturday and Sunday. We toughed out the rain at CV, so we're experienced. ;)

I'll also be there tomorrow to maiden my F-14 and fly with a few of the Apollo Warbird guys.

Bob and Tsukai from NorCal are also committed both days.

See you guys in a few days! :)

Comment

It's quite funny, really, this past Sunday Tony and I were flying at Apollo and the weather was PERFECT. Today it's quite literally perfect also. How funny the weather is, that it's showing some risk of rain on Saturday afternoon. I'm 100% committed, as are Addison, Martin, Sam, Brian, and several others. Not to jinx it, but the last time the forecast called for 50% rain it was overcast all day but not one actual drop. I'll bring an EZ-Up just in case.

Comment

Hopefully the weather plays nice. Forecasts are always interesting because weather is hard to predict and changes on quickly.

There is also a TFR beginning Thursday evening and lasts through Friday afternoon, but that is subject to change as always. Hopefully it will not effect the weekend though.

Comment

Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
                                  Hopefully the weather plays nice. Forecasts are always interesting because weather is hard to predict and changes on quickly.

There is also a TFR beginning Thursday evening and lasts through Friday afternoon, but that is subject to change as always. Hopefully it will not effect the weekend though.

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_6_4910.html
                                  Sorry for the off track comment to the thread topic, but I just had to......

It is very interesting that the FAA differentiates between Model Aircraft and UAS(unmanned aircraft systems) in this NOTAM TFR under para C of the Operating Restrictions. Whereas we ALL are presently lumped into that UAS category by the latest ruling, could this be an indicator of possible relief for the future?? Keep contacting your elected officials to do the correct thing for the future of this hobby!!!!
                                  C. The following operations are not authorized within this TFR: flight training, practice instrument approaches, aerobatic flight, glider operations, seaplane operations, parachute operations, ultralight, hang gliding, balloon operations, agriculture/crop dusting, animal population control flight operations, banner towing operations, sightseeing operations, maintenance test flights, model aircraft operations, model rocketry, unmanned aircraft systems (UAS), and utility and pipeline survey operations.
                                  Best regards,
                                  Warbird Charlie
                                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by T-CAT View Post

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_6_4910.html
                                    So it looks like it starts at 2am on Friday and goes through 8pm that night. This will ground everyone that was planning to fly Friday at Apollo. :(
                                    Pat

Comment

You may be looking at Universal Coordinated Time (UTC) Pat, as it needs to be converted to local time. From the looks of it, so far the TFR starts on Thursday at 7pm Pacific Time and ends on Friday at 1pm Pacific Time.

Comment

You are correct sir!
                                        Pat

Comment

If it doesn't rain on Friday :) (or a TFR time change), at least we get the afternoon to fly. Yeehaw!

Comment

Working...
                                          X