Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got lucky. My Dad has always been a hobbyist. Plastic models, model railroading, radio control planes. So, I had a good example growing up. :) So, I always talk to him about my new toys. Anyway, now that I'm back home we do model railroading and RC aircraft together. :Cool:

Comment

I really love this hobby but I tend to over do it sometimes...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180106_205932134_iOS.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	112501

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180106_210011781_iOS.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	112500
      TiredIron Aviation
      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Lol looks like it's time to take a break and eat something TI.

Comment

Yeah, have a sandwich or somthin'. LOL

Comment

I guess Its an unwritten rule somewhere that your parents will never understand their teenager, except for the lucky few where they find common ground, be it hobbies, sports, and yes, academics. Wherever they are coming from they always want whats best for their kids, although may not seem like it at the time. Although todays generation of mellineals and gen x'ers are more responsible and selfless than my generation (baby boomer), You will always feel a need for speed (just had to do it) a need to impart their experiences and wisdom, for whatever its worth. As for parents and their children, many lessons are only learned when they have their own kids, and the light bulb suddenly goes on in their head, with an aha moment.

Comment

TiredIron, Sheeeeez! I thought I had a lot of planes. They'll probably find me like that in my shop, some day. I could be out there for months and no one would know the difference! Doc

Comment

Originally posted by doctormike View Post
                TiredIron, Sheeeeez! I thought I had a lot of planes. They'll probably find me like that in my shop, some day. I could be out there for months and no one would know the difference! Doc
                I did a time lapse of the hangar and runway...this has all taken place in less than two years, talk about out of control. My Dad a WWII Navy veteran would have loved this stuff!

TiredIron Aviation

Comment

Tirediron, I think Its time to bust the walls out!!!

Comment

Oh he's been plotting...............just trying to figure out how to convince his sweetie that her 4 Season expansion on the house is second in line of projects. LOL
                    Warbird Charlie
                    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

I did a time lapse of the hangar and runway...this has all taken place in less than two years, talk about out of control. My Dad a WWII Navy veteran would have loved this stuff!

WOW!! What a fantastic setup with the HUGE workshop, and walk right outside and fly from your own runway...I am sooo envious. Sounds like a dream come true. Enjoy it my man, you are the envy of many on this forum I am sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Loneflier View Post

WOW!! What a fantastic setup with the HUGE workshop, and walk right outside and fly from your own runway...I am sooo envious. Sounds like a dream come true. Enjoy it my man, you are the envy of many on this forum I am sure.
                        Very blessed for sure to have a place like this but even better is that I have a bunch of great flying buddies I can share it with:Cool:
                        TiredIron Aviation

Comment

It goes way beyond the runway and hangar. It is a very welcoming environment. George is an awesome host and the people who fly there have the best time together. It lacks nothing but the bickering that many clubs are plagued with. I feel very fortunate to be only a little over an hour away and make the trip up frequently. This Saturday he has a Hangar Day where we just get together to build or repair and simply help each other out. Oh and fly of course if the weather permits. The enthusiasm is spilling over to the local RC club as well which we are both officers of. ;)

Comment

Man:(by the time I drive there you'll all be gone....

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

My parents had the same response to anything I announced I was going to do, "You can't do that". I went on to build model airplanes and fly them anyway. My dad never once acknowledged any of my achievements to me but I do have his voice on a VHS video tape saying, "I'm proud of that boy" as I am climbing out on the first flight of my first homebuilt airplane. My dad has been gone for many years but I still have that tape. Your parents my appreciate things you have learned to do and accomplished but they just may not know how to say it to you.

Fortunately I learned a lot from growing up in that situation. My daughter and I enjoy a great relationship. I have always supported her in every thing she sets out to do. I was there when she soloed a RC plane, there when she soloed a real Cessna 172, and I was there most every weekend as she and her husband built their first house. Very satisfying.

The point is, unless it has become an obsession (I have seen it happen), and your kids are going hungry while you are building more airplanes, you have done nothing wrong. Don't let the wet blanket keep you down. Make it a family thing and ENJOY LIFE.
                              Last edited by rpellicciotti; Jan 16, 2018, 01:09 PM. Reason: Hit POST before I meant to.

Comment

Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                                It goes way beyond the runway and hangar. It is a very welcoming environment. George is an awesome host and the people who fly there have the best time together. It lacks nothing but the bickering that many clubs are plagued with. I feel very fortunate to be only a little over an hour away and make the trip up frequently. This Saturday he has a Hangar Day where we just get together to build or repair and simply help each other out. Oh and fly of course if the weather permits. The enthusiasm is spilling over to the local RC club as well which we are both officers of. ;)
                                Sounds like a great club. We have a couple of good clubs here in Huntsville too that I enjoy, both North Alabama Radio Controllers Association, (NARCA), and Rocket City Radio Controllers (RCRC), and great people at both fields to help out the members. Still, that workshop would be something to see, and to be able to go inside and work on a plane at the field, especially during cold weather like we are having now, well, that is nice. Wish you guys weren't so far away! According to Google maps, you are a good 4.5 hours away from here. Enjoy!

Comment

I was already married when I was bitten by the hobby ,believe me ,theres nothing like a P-ed off wife!......:Scared:

Comment

Amen brother....:corsairp38=:Angry:

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

I guess I'm lucky, my wife is OK with my planes, but she does say I have to many and just say I could be other places if you catch the drift.;)
                                      AMA 424553

Comment

I just got mine a plane and let her fly, like a fish on a hook!!
                                        (Don't tell her!!)

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

I got a bit lucky in this regard. My parents have been very supportive of this hobby and of aviation in general. My dad taught me how to build things in the shop, bought me my first RC airplane, and encouraged my passion for aviation, even up to teaching me to fly the family helicopter. Our first shop projects were scratchbuilt wooden toys of the Spirit of St. Louis, the Wright Flyer, V-22, and a Ford tri-motor, all with little electric motor to spin the props. My mom taught me the intricacies of painting and airbrushing, and put up with countless hours worth of airplane documentaries on TV throughout my childhood, and the piles of airplanes built from Knex and Legos that littered the house. The family attends EAA Oshkosh every year, and we wouldn't miss it for the world. When I went to college and found an RC field on campus, it was no surprise to them that I quickly got into RC aircraft, and now work in helicopter flight testing.

However, running the RC club in college, I worked with a lot of people who did not have similar support. It's a barrier, but certainly something that can be pushed through. And although a parent might stare at plane/heli on the bench and scoff, if you can drag them to the field to see it fly, you might get different results, especially with a Warbird. There is something universally cool about a model making a low pass that can make even the biggest critic admit that its pretty cool ;).

Comment

Working...
                                          X