Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amen to that!

Comment

On behalf of my Native American ancestors I wish to say this: "Go back to where you came from paleface!". Just kidding. But I remember in one of RAH's books where one character mentioned Canada, and the other asked them if it was part of the US. He said "yeah, but they got away with not having to pay taxes. But my question is how did you end up in Wyoming? No decent RC clubs in Washington State?

Comment

The abridged version of the story is that my wife, who is American, and I vacationed in Cody five years in a row and absolutely loved it. To the point of "This is where we would like to retire" The place I was working at for 25 years closed down, so retirement came early. Washington State was a little too left wing for me and besides we were looking for the cowboy lifestyle and the wide open spaces. When we found out there are no state taxes here and the cost of living, compared to Vancouver, was much lower, it was a no brainer. We have two daughters that live in Moscow Idaho and one that's in Chilliwack B.C. so no we're an international family again. Got out here and thought about getting my pilots license, but the expense compared to the ability to fly once you have a license didn't make it realistic. Then I started thinking about R/C as I had an interest way back when. Found Motion R/C online and was totally blown away with how far foamies had come. Ordered a HH Supercub and an FMS 1400mm P-51 and the rest is history....

Grossman56
        Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
          The abridged version of the story is that my wife, who is American, and I vacationed in Cody five years in a row and absolutely loved it. To the point of "This is where we would like to retire" The place I was working at for 25 years closed down, so retirement came early. Washington State was a little too left wing for me and besides we were looking for the cowboy lifestyle and the wide open spaces. When we found out there are no state taxes here and the cost of living, compared to Vancouver, was much lower, it was a no brainer. We have two daughters that live in Moscow Idaho and one that's in Chilliwack B.C. so no we're an international family again. Got out here and thought about getting my pilots license, but the expense compared to the ability to fly once you have a license didn't make it realistic. Then I started thinking about R/C as I had an interest way back when. Found Motion R/C online and was totally blown away with how far foamies had come. Ordered a HH Supercub and an FMS 1400mm P-51 and the rest is history....

Grossman56
          Well, when I was retiring from the Navy I originally planned to retire to the Seattle area since I had a 50k job offer at NUWC. But then my dad died so I had to go home when I retired instead to take care of my mom.
          Given recent events in Seattle, maybe it wasn't such a bad change for me coming home instead, since the entire West Coast now has what I call "The California Plague".

Comment

Good job Valk…. I take care of my mom too. She will be 90 in June! My Dad died and I took the reins... Dad was a WWII hero. Battle of the Bulge, Bastonge, Huertgen Forest, etc. 2 Bronze Stars, one with V..... Miss him!!! Didn't realize how bad ass he was until he was gone.... :Straight-Face:

Comment

Originally posted by Hardway View Post
              Good job Valk…. I take care of my mom too. She will be 90 in June! My Dad died and I took the reins... Dad was a WWII hero. Battle of the Bulge, Bastonge, Huertgen Forest, etc. 2 Bronze Stars, one with V..... Miss him!!! Didn't realize how bad ass he was until he was gone.... :Straight-Face:
              Oght oh, possible Batman VS Super Man Moment. What day in June? And what is her first name? Dad was in the Sea Bees and caught the tail end of Korea. Interesting sidebar, he was stationed in the Philippines for several years, and one of the projects they worked on was the carrier pier at NAS Cubi Point. Fast forward 20 years and guess who's ship used that pier?:)

Comment

Mom's name is Anita and June 13th is her BD.... Wild on the docking at that pier! Thanks for your service Bro!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                  Mom's name is Anita and June 13th is her BD.... Wild on the docking at that pier! Thanks for your service Bro!!!
                  My mom's name is Barb and she's 10 years and 10 days younger than your mom.

Comment

Very cool!!! Give her a hug for me!!! :Heart:

Comment

Grossman56
                      Bonne chance Monsieur Dan Grossman! J'esper que vous pourrez garder des bons souvenirs de votre vie passee dans le feuille d'erable rouge!

Comment

Congratulations Dan! Proud to have you as a US citizen!!!!

Comment

Airhead, of course I will, but when I left, it wasn't the country I knew any more, so sad. But you Canadians have the power to shape it into something great again, and you deserve greatness, the same as we do here in the Etats Unis!

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

Airhead, of course I will, but when I left, it wasn't the country I knew any more, so sad. But you Canadians have the power to shape it into something great again, and you deserve greatness, the same as we do here in the Etats Unis!

Grossman56
                            That's one thing I could never understand about the UK and Canadian governments. Whenever the party that was out of power got back in they'd immediately start ripping out what the preceding administration did even worse than we do here in America. And as such, some awesome airplanes were wiped from existence, such as the Arrow and TSR2

Comment

Yep, history was written by the US and Canadian Gov'ts.
                              For instance, who made the first commercial jet airliner to fly in North America?
                              Boeing right ??
                              Wrong!
                              The Avro Jetliner was the first commercial jet to fly in North America, purchased by people like Howard Hughes.
                              Terminated then destroyed in 1956.
                              Made by the same people who created the Arrow
                              Pick up a copy of Storms of Controversy by Palmiro Campagna, interesting read

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

That's one thing I could never understand about the UK and Canadian governments. Whenever the party that was out of power got back in they'd immediately start ripping out what the preceding administration did even worse than we do here in America. And as such, some awesome airplanes were wiped from existence, such as the Arrow and TSR2
                                Yeah! How is it that all these great designers; developers; aeronautical engineers; chief mechanical and technical professionals; financiers; technologists; pretty girls in the offices; test pilots and advertisers were instantly sent to unemployment offices by a bunch of rudderless; brain-dead and stupid Canadian Government executives who never had the chutzpah to take those projects to the rest of the world at any cost. My hat goes off to James C. Floyd, 104 years old! The Chief Designer and Engineer of both the Avro Jetliner and Avro Arrow who "gut wrenchingly" watched, as the Canadian Feds hit the STOP switch on both those projects and all the "best talent" left him for NASA; Rockwell; Northrop and many other southern U.S. companies who were happy to have 'em!...I'm surprised he's still alive after those two trainwrecks....

Comment

Originally posted by AirHead View Post

Yeah! How is it that all these great designers; developers; aeronautical engineers; chief mechanical and technical professionals; financiers; technologists; pretty girls in the offices; test pilots and advertisers were instantly sent to unemployment offices by a bunch of rudderless; brain-dead and stupid Canadian Government executives who never had the chutzpah to take those projects to the rest of the world at any cost. My hat goes off to James C. Floyd, 104 years old! The Chief Designer and Engineer of both the Avro Jetliner and Avro Arrow who "gut wrenchingly" watched, as the Canadian Feds hit the STOP switch on both those projects and all the "best talent" left him for NASA; Rockwell; Northrop and many other southern U.S. companies who were happy to have 'em!...I'm surprised he's still alive after those two trainwrecks....
                                  The truly criminal part wasn't just killing the project, it was destroying EVERYTHING involved in the project, from airframes, to tools and dies, to every scrap of paper even marginally related to the Arrow. They tried to totally wipe it and make it seem like it never existed. All that's left are some prints squirreled away by engineers and some test models recently recovered from Lake Ontario.

Comment

Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

The truly criminal part wasn't just killing the project, it was destroying EVERYTHING involved in the project, from airframes, to tools and dies, to every scrap of paper even marginally related to the Arrow. They tried to totally wipe it and make it seem like it never existed. All that's left are some prints squirreled away by engineers and some test models recently recovered from Lake Ontario.
                                    You're absolutely right Valkpilot! But, I do need to put an end to discussing what happened to those famed projects. Eternity seems to be good at fogging facts and memories of famous people and projects. But, there are many who remind us of Man's great achievements. War seems to be one of the best "testbeds" of all mechanical and scientific achievements. There have been many scientists, engineers and such who never wanted their discoveries turned into "War Machines"....but hey! somebody's gotta do it! I recently read that after James C. Floyd finished helping Britain and France produce the Concorde in the 70's, for some reason, he came back here to Toronto to live out his years not more than 25 minutes from the old Avro Canada plant where he created the Avro Airliner and The Arrow. I think he must have been so traumatised, that his "babies" were taken from him that he continues to support one of the most traumatic and eternal mental and emotional wounds sustainable by a person who had such profound success and was silenced by a ceiling of evil and uninformed political warlocks....This may sound heavy....But, it happened to the poor man.........

Comment

Fantastic Dan! Good for you!
                                      My YouTube RC videos:
                                      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Thanks Todd!
                                        Still thinking about that maiden flight of the Corsair!
                                        Out here, we've had literally zip for snow. Good to see you got the maiden of the 'little' Corsair in !

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

Congratulations Dan! I moved to Tennessee 21 years ago from Nova Scotia and became a U.S. Citizen in 2013. I enjoyed the ceremony seeing many people coming from countries that were impoverished, unlike the U.S. or Canada, getting the opportunity to really experience a different lifestyle. Their faces were beaming.

Comment

Working...
                                          X