X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projects underway for NASM transformation project in Washington, DC

Hi All: I had a couple of requests from folks who use Hobbysquawk a lot like I do to discuss some projects that I am doing that are a little different in nature.
    For those who have been to the National Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC on the National Mall before, you may or may not beware that since 2019 there has been a total transformation project going on. Most everything was removed or moved elsewhere outside the museum while this project is going on except for a few things like the Wright Flyer and the Spirit of St. Louis and some things like that.

I have been doing work with the NASM since 1994 and was contacted to bid on a number of projects that they need done. I had my choice of which ones I was interested in and even capable of doing (some are HUGE rocket pieces that are too large for me to have the room to do). But I did select four projects to do that I have just begun.

They are: 1) A 1/32 plastic scale model of a Me-163B rocket powered airplane
    2) A 1/32 scale plastic model of a RAF Mustang III, flown by a famous Polish ace with the RAF.
    3) Twelve (12) 1/72nd scale models of B-17Gs suspended from the ceiling by wires to mimic what the "combat box" formations were used during WWII to maximize fire power against enemy aircraft and make bomb runs more accurate by tightening up the formation.
    4) Restore and repurpose a very large (4 foot wingspan and 8 feet long) 1:15 scale fiberglass space shuttle model that has been in the possession of NASA Johnson Space Center in Houston for many years.
    The model will be modified by cutting out the top to make payload bay doors, and a scale interior with the Hubble Space Telescope inside. The model will be made to look like
    shuttle Discovery and the mission where it released the Hubble telescope into Earth orbit. In addition, I have to beef it up inside so that it can be suspended by a steel cable from the ceiling and appear "upside down" from the perspective of the viewer on the ground to show all the details therein. I haven't been sent that replica yet, but that will be the most challenging work of the things I am doing.

Anyway, for those who might like to follow along with updates, I'll supply them here with photos on a regular basis as work continues. This work project will be lasting at least a year or more but hoping to meet target dates for completion as they continue to open new galleries as they get completely redone. Before this massive renewal project, major updates to exhibit galleries had not been done since the museum opened on July 1, 1976.

Cheers

Davegee

Sound like some interesting projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
      Sound like some interesting projects.
      I had two more models, one was a Soviet SAM battery as was used in Viet Nam war, and a Mc-130U, but they were both canceled. I don't know why they dropped the missile battery model, but the MC-130U in the scale they wanted was from an old discontinued kit, probably very unlikely to get one from a collector.

Here's three pics. One shows my workshop where all this work will be going on. The other is the rocket engine in 1/32 scale for the Me-163B. Note the small size next to a pencil. You won't see this engine while on display, though. It will be configured for landing with all the hatches closed. This is a MENG kit from Hong Kong. Exquisite detail and fit. The third drawing is the Mustang III flown by a famous Polish ace with the RAF. Of course for where this and the Mustang III (also in 1/32 scale) are going, it is going to have to be absolutely perfect, or as close to perfection that I can do!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0652.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	376222Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0650.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	376221Click image for larger version

Name:	70039-profile-1-1024x507.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	376223

Comment

My big project arrived by truck last Friday. It is an 8 foot long 1:15 scale fiberglass and carbon fiber model of the Space Shuttle Orbiter. I think it was probably built by professional model makers at North American Rockwell almost 50 years ago. Back then, these big aerospace companies had their own model makers to use at sales meetings and stuff like that. The Johnson Space Center in Houston has had this model for decades, and it was selected by the NASM in Washington, DC to be a part of a new space exhibit that I am a small part of.

At some point, they started to remove the finish and it looks a little rough but is very solid and ready for modifications to eventually suspend it from the ceiling from steel cables. The payload bays will be open and I will build a scale model of Hubble Space Telescope, released by Discovery on April 24, 1990, mission STS-31.

Should be a good challenge. Even with its great size, it is hollow and I estimate the entire all-up weight will be only about 70 pounds or so.

I'll attach a quick pic of me standing next to the orbiter in my shop in Wyoming.

Cheers

Davegee

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	377872

Comment

Davegee.
          Interesting subjects. I will be watching your progress.
          Best Regards, Rex

Comment

Originally posted by jetfool View Post
            Davegee.
            Interesting subjects. I will be watching your progress.
            Best Regards, Rex
            Thanks, Rex. This particular project will take between 6 months to a year to complete before it is ready for crating and shipping to DC. Will post updates for you and any other interested people.

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

Originally posted by davegee View Post
              The third drawing is the Mustang III flown by a famous Polish ace with the RAF. Of course for where this and the Mustang III (also in 1/32 scale) are going, it is going to have to be absolutely perfect, or as close to perfection that I can do!Click image for larger version

Name:	70039-profile-1-1024x507.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	376223
              DG, your livery of the Mustang III is why I have been clamoring for a P-51B with the Malcolm Hood for so long. The RAF Mustang !!! is a beautiful airframe IMHO. Looking forward to future updates. Best, LB
              I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
              ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Originally posted by Elbee View Post

DG, your livery of the Mustang III is why I have been clamoring for a P-51B with the Malcolm Hood for so long. The RAF Mustang !!! is a beautiful airframe IMHO. Looking forward to future updates. Best, LB
                I totally agree. And I have really been getting into the history of this particular airplane and its Polish Pilot, Eugeniusz Horbaczewskiwhich I believe is pronounced: oo-GEN-oosh HOR-ba-CHEF-sky. from Polish. He was a remarkable man, RAF squadron leader, and fighter pilot. One one sortie over France, one of his squadron mates was shot down and wounded. He landed his plane nearby on a hastily built air strip by the USAAF, and went out by jeep and then by foot to find his comrade. He eventually found him and helped him get back to his airplane. In order to pull this off, he had his wounded friend sit in the only seat there was, and Horbaczewsky sat in his lap and flew the plane back to base in England. Fortunately, Horbaczewsky was a fairly small man, so somehow they made it work. On a later mission, they got into a huge dogfight with a bunch of German fighters over France. When the melee ended, their leader was no where to be found. They eventually flew back to base, brokenhearted. Not until 1947, over two years after the war in Europe ended did someone find the mangled wreckage with its pilot still inside. No one knows for sure how he met his end, whether he was jumped by an elite German pilot, or what.

I did not make the decision at all in making this airplane. This was a decision of the NASM staff, and one I wholeheartedly agree with. I am building the 1/32 scale Trumpeter plastic kit, a totally awesome model, but feel I get to know this lost airman who did so much to help win the air war in Europe during WWII.

If they ever come up with a decent Mustang III with the Malcolm Hood, I will definitely snap one up and paint up this airplane in his honor.

Davegee

Name:	view.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	378003

Comment

• Elbee
                  Elbee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Rightfully so. ;-)

I finished two of my projects for the NASM last week, being 1/32 scale models of a German Me-163 Komet and an RAF P-51 Mustang III flown by a famous Polish ace in WWII. Both great models, the Komet was made by Meng, and the P-51 by Trumpeter. Some of the tiny parts were really a pain with sometimes flying off my table with the tweezers onto the floor, where many times they were never found again. I did buy two kits of each, just to have extra spare parts which I did use a few of.

These models will eventually go into the WWII gallery displayed in small plexiglass covers as that project moves along. They'll let me know when they want me to ship them.

I'll attach a few pics of each. I apologize for the poor picture quality. We have some gawdawful lighting in my workshop!

Name:	IMG-0769 (1).jpg
Views:	201
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	379316Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0787 (1).jpg
Views:	194
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	379317Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0778.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	379318Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0773.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	379319Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0782.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	379320Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0776.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	379321

Comment

I finished two of my projects [a] 1/32 scale models of a German Me-163 Komet and an RAF P-51 Mustang III​
                  DG, at the risk of repeating myself, your RAF Mustang III is the reason I would love MRC/FlightLine to manufacture a P-51 B with the Malcolm Hood.

Tremendously great work, Sir.

Thank you for giving us a glimpse.

Best, LB
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

I shipped out the Mustang III via UPS on Friday. It should be in Washington, DC area next Wednesday and then eventually installed in the new WWII gallery when they are ready for it. The Me-163 Komet is awaiting approval from the staff at the NASM and then I hope to ship it like I did the Mustang III next week.

On Monday, my wife and I are doing our normal longterm shopping run in Billings which is about an hour and a half away from where we live. They have all the big box stores that we don't have in our little town of Cody, WY. Plus, they don't have a sales tax, so that is sweet!

I modified 15 diecast 1/72 scale B-17G bombers for a new exhibit that will be in the transformed WWII gallery probably next year. We boxed them up and will drive them to the FedEx facility at the airport on Monday.

The bombers are to show a "combat box" display of 12 bombers in tight formation as they flew during WWII in combat. They will be arranged in "threes" at various horizontal and vertical intervals from each other to simulate how they massed defensive firepower from the gunners against German fighters on missions. These formations also kept the airplanes very tight to try and put more bombs on target than if they were strung out, not to mention would increase risks to individual bombers if they strayed out of place in the formation.

I had to come up with a way of hanging all these models in formation and be absolutely sure none could fall down on visitors' heads viewing the gallery! What I came up with eventually was a one inch long threaded aluminum pin called a binding post mainly used to secure frames of windows. The interior thread is 8-32 so I was able to drill through each bomber with my drill press with each plane mounted in a special jig that I built at the exact center of gravity to insert the pin from the bottom of the airplane. Turns out this CG was right where the ball turret was located, so I removed it temporarily, inserted the pin and glued the pin in place with Hysol glue. Then I reattached the ball turret, covering everything up. The binding post sticks up through the top of the fuselage barely and can be screwed onto a long steel rod from the ceiling so that each airplane is securely mounted on the rods for the display. I'm pretty sure this method is virtually foolproof and should a model get damaged somehow and need replacement someday, we have three spares ready to go into action. Going through the CG of these steel models which each weigh 2.25 pounds, will ensure them to be in a level attitude as they would have been on the mission. Each plane should be exactly level with none tilted up or down slightly and will be positioned facing straight ahead in the tight combat box formation.

Still a lot of work to do, the biggest project for me is repurposing a 1:15 scale fiberglass model of the Space Shuttle that will be suspended upside down from the ceiling with the cargo bay doors open showing the payload inside. Not decided yet what that will be, maybe a model of the Hubble Space Telescope, something like that.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0737.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.6 KB ID:	381747Click image for larger version  Name:	unnamed.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.9 KB ID:	381748Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0743.jpg Views:	0 Size:	139.4 KB ID:	381749Click image for larger version  Name:	unnamed.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.4 KB ID:	381750Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0912.jpgadjusted.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.4 KB ID:	381751

Comment

davegee Incredible work, Dave, and clever, too. A craftsman extraordinaire. The Hubble would be definitive, wouldn't it? Best, LB
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                        davegee Incredible work, Dave, and clever, too. A craftsman extraordinaire. The Hubble would be definitive, wouldn't it? Best, LB
                        Yes, it would. Especially since closeby at Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles airport is the actual Shuttle Discovery which carried the Hubble into orbit in 1990! We haven't decided yet exactly which shuttle to replicate with this large model, or the mission, but my vote would be for Discovery and Hubble!

I didn't quite follow how to get a copy of all the work you did on your incredible Corsair build. Could you let me know by PM or responding to this thread? I definitely want to have a copy of all the work you put into it! Once again, a Hearty Congratulations on this latest project!!

Davegee

Comment

Yes, it would. Especially since closeby at Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles airport is the actual Shuttle Discovery which carried the Hubble into orbit in 1990! We haven't decided yet exactly which shuttle to replicate with this large model, or the mission, but my vote would be for Discovery and Hubble!

I didn't quite follow how to get a copy of all the work you did on your incredible Corsair build. Could you let me know by PM or responding to this thread? I definitely want to have a copy of all the work you put into it! Once again, a Hearty Congratulations on this latest project!!

Davegee

Download free Adobe Acrobat Reader software for your Windows, Mac OS and Android devices to view, print, and comment on PDF documents.

Thanks Dave, Aros noodled a way to post it like an attachment, so simply revisit the same post and 'click' on the PDF.

It will open like any normal attachment and can be downloaded from that point if you wish.

You will need Adobe PDF Reader (SEE Link Above) as a minimum to view it and if you have Adobe PDF Maker, then it's a no brainer.

Any problems, let me know.

Best, Steve
                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Today my wife and I drove the 1 1/2 hour trip from Cody to Billings and the FedEx office at the airport. The three boxes of 1/72 scale diecast steel model B-17s and their own packaging came to 78 pounds, total. Each airplane individually only weighs 2.25 pounds, so I guess a lot of the weight was in the boxing and packaging. Hopefully they will arrive in Washington, DC without any damage. They are scheduled to depart by air tonight from Billings, and arrive on Wednesday. Then the NASM staff can get acquainted with them and I hope have no problems practicing mounting them onto the threaded 8-32 rods. They'll eventually use a similar technique to attach all the bombers in the combat box formation in the gallery. That will probably be several months away, to be sure. The long threaded rods will come down from the ceiling at various lengths and distances from each other to simulate being in formation. The rods themselves will be painted black so they won't show much in the display.

My 1/32 scale plastic P-51 Mustang III flown by a famous Polish ace with the RAF in WWII is also supposed to arrive in Washington on Wednesday. I'll keep my fingers crossed that Ace Ventura didn't handle the deliveries and they will arrive in good shape!

I'm still awaiting approval to ship the little 1/32 scale Me-163 Komet model that will also be on display in the same gallery in a small clear case.

Once that one is sent in, the big job is repurposing a 100 pound 1:15 scale model of the Shuttle Orbiter for a display in a different gallery.

Davegee

Comment

Amazing work Dave . Looking forward to seeing the Shuttle take shape.
                              Best Regards, Rex

Comment

Originally posted by jetfool View Post
                                Amazing work Dave . Looking forward to seeing the Shuttle take shape.
                                Best Regards, Rex
                                Will do, Rex. Apparently several of these huge models were built by professional modelers at North American Rockwell, the maker of the Orbiter, about 40 years ago. The one that NASA sent me from storage in Houston is apparently the wrong one, and the surface looks like at some point someone started on a redo of the whole model. So it looks in pretty rough shape now. It could definitely be restored like you would an old Corvette as it is made of fiberglass. But they had a different model in mind that is in much better shape. As they sort all of this out, I think eventually the correct model will be sent to me and I can start my work on it.

The 15 1/72 scale B-17 bomber models for the Combat Box display are winging their way to Washington as I write this. Also, the 1/32 scale P-51 Mustang III plastic model is on schedule to arrive there tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything will arrive undamaged!

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

Well, I got confirmation today that the 15 B-17G models in 1/72 scale for a new display showing the Combat Box formations in WWIi arrived safely in Washington. I did a lot of mods to these diecast steel airplanes, the biggest one figuring out how to hang them on display from the ceiling so that they would not sway or move with the HVAC system or just hordes of visitors streaming through the galleries. These 8-32 rods coming down from the ceiling at various levels will attach to threaded tubes that I drilled holes through the CG of each airplane for a realistic display of bombers in flight. The rods will be painted black and they might have somewhat subdued lighting on them to make them look like they're actually flying, not sure on that.

The other good piece of news is that the 1/32 scale P-51 Mustang III flown by Polish Ace Eugeniusz Horbaczewski (pronounced Oon-GEN-oosh Horba-CHEF-ski) or something close to that arrived safely via UPS. We made up a double box to protect the model, and not a scratch on it when it arrived today. On Monday morning, I will do the same procedure with my local UPS shop here in town and have them ship the 1/32 scale Me-163 Komet model for another display in the new WWII gallery when it opens, I think next year sometime.

Comment

Well, today was a big and good day in the progress of the 1:15 scale Space Shuttle model repurposing for display at the NASM. It's been a long sojourn fraught with problems and delays. The plan was to get one of these large (8 foot long by 4 foot wingspan, 100 lbs. of weight) overhauled and made into a hanging display of the space shuttle Discovery, the real one now on permanent display at the Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles Airport in Virginia. There were several of these models built probably over 40 years ago by professional model builders for North American Rockwell (at the time). Some of these stood vertically and were connected to the External tank and the Solid Rocket Boosters sitting on a Mobile Launcher Platform (MLP). It was quite impressive to see on display. NASA sent us the wrong one and we have had to wait for a much better condition one to arrive, which did at the end of last month. Anyway, with a transformation of the entire National Air and Space Museum, the first one since it opened in 1976, most everything is being redone in one way or another. This model will have an important part in one of the new space galleries.

One of the exhibit galleries will feature among many other things, this repurposed Space Shuttle. It will hang upside down with the payload bay doors open with a satellite inside ready to be deployed into space. At first they were looking at putting a Hubble Space Telescope inside, but now they are leaning towards having a communications satellite called TDRS. The mission will dictate which orbiter and which payload to use. I am ready to make a model of either one they finally decide on. Eventually after we get everything completed, it will be put back in its crate and shipped back to Washington DC for display.

This first major step for this model was to cut out the cargo bay doors on the orbiter. I compared this to "cutting the Hope Diamond", as there was no room for a screwup! We wouldn't know exactly what lay inside until we made the commitment to those cuts. But it went very well today and we are now well underway and committed to the next step of planning out hinging the payload doors so that they can be opened for the display. We found an ancient piece of sandpaper that must have been there for over 40 years! It's still usable!

I'll attach some pics. I decided to sublet some of this delicate fiberglass work to two great guys who own and operate a body shop here in Cody. They have 30 years of experience working with things like precise cutting of fiberglass for cars and everything else. We will be working closely together over the next several months as we transform this model for a new life in the exhibit hall for many years to come.

Davegee

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-1047 (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.5 KB ID:	383896Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-1043 (3).jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.3 KB ID:	383897Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-1045.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.7 KB ID:	383898Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-1046 (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.1 KB ID:	383899Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-1044.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.0 KB ID:	383900

Comment

Been working on many issues, like getting set up on designing a hanging mechanism for this very large and heavy (135 lbs) model. It will be hanging over the heads of probably millions of museum goers over time, so ensuring an extremely reliable system was of the highest order. We got that approved recently, won't drill the hole for the eyebolt until the entire model is together to see where the exact CG is to place the hole. The eyebolt is a Crosby forged piece, in-line hanging strength of 1200 pounds, which is overkill, but I didn't want to leave anything to chance with this model.

We have completely sanded, patched, and smoothed any imperfections in this 40 year old model. We found many, including some delamination of the fiberglass at the seams in a few spots. Everything went into primer, and then sanded and checked for any small imperfections still needing a bit more work. On Monday, (this is Saturday) we will start spraying the entire model white, and after that work on all the black patterns of the model. Callie made up the graphics for me, although we are thinking we might use some of those vinyl transfers as patterns and paint all the black patterns on. Things like the USA flag, Discovery name, etc., we'll use Callie's transfers when we come to that point.

I am working on a 1/15 scale model of the Tracking and Data Relay Satellite (TDRS) that was released into space from this STS-26 mission of Discovery in October 1988. This was the "Return to Flight" mission, the first shuttle flown after the Challenger accident over 2 1/2 years previous. It had a simple job to do on this first flight, covering 4 days: Make sure everything operates normally and safely, and release the TDRS satellite into orbit. It had a booster on it that carried the satellite up to a geosynchronous orbit around the Earth at 22,500 miles high.

I'm very much looking forward to getting this last project completed that I am doing for the NASM. It's been a very busy year!

I'll attach a pic of the fuselage taken last week in primer, and a photo of the real TDRS launched on that mission. My version will be about 29 inches long in that scale.

Davegee

Click image for larger version  Name:	0.jpg Views:	4 Size:	114.7 KB ID:	389042 Click image for larger version  Name:	shuttle fuselage in primer coat.jpg Views:	4 Size:	181.2 KB ID:	389043

Comment

Working...
                                      X