Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

What year was that?
    Not showing the greatest sense, I went to Lackland in mid-August, 1977, and left at the end of September. I don't recall if, at that time, they had removed the chem warfare chamber from the training, or if it was closed for maintenance during that time. Either way, I never went through it.

Not that I missed it, mind you...

Comment

I was at Lackland Wilford Hall Sept 1976 for a month getting my facial reconstructive surgery. Long month...

Comment

We went in the gas chamber in San Diego in 86.
        unbelievable how well you can breath afterwards

Comment

Went through Lackland in 69' we all got gased.

Comment

Originally posted by boomer108 View Post
            Went through Lackland in 69' we all got gased.
            I was there Feb-Mar '69. We went thru the gas chamber same day we went to the firing range, firing the M-16, and first time through the obstacle course. Was a busy, tiring day.
            Don

Currently flying FW F-4C Phantom II 8s PNP, GP Waco YMF5, GP P-6E Hawk V1, H9 Spitfire MkIX 30cc, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite 1.2M Spitfire MkIX, EFlite 1.2M F4U Corsair, EFlite 1.2M T-28, EFlite 1.2M P-47D Thunderbolt v1.

On repair bench: ASM F7F Tigercat, GP Ryan STA-M, BH P-40C Tigershark

Building HK 60cc T-6 Texan, VQ P-82 Twin Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by BigElectFlyr View Post

I was there Feb-Mar '69. We went thru the gas chamber same day we went to the firing range, firing the M-16, and first time through the obstacle course. Was a busy, tiring day.
              I thought the obstacle course (redubbed the "Confidence Course" by the time I went through) was a blast.

Comment

Originally posted by F22trainer View Post
                I was at Lackland Wilford Hall Sept 1976 for a month getting my facial reconstructive surgery. Long month...
                :(:Cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Hardway View Post

:(:Cool:
                  ...and that was how I lost my pilot slot in the USAF.

Comment

I was in the Drum & Bugle Corps during Basic. I didn't know what PT was. :)
                    Pat

Comment

Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                      I was in the Drum & Bugle Corps during Basic. I didn't know what PT was. :)
                      Where did you go to boot at?

Comment

Lackland. But then again, most of the basic trainees didn't know what PT was either. ;)
                        Pat

Comment

Lackland. But then again, most of the basic trainees didn't know what PT was either. ;)
                          Sure we did. It was the excuse they made for dragging our butts out of bed before the unholy crack of dawn.

Comment

Oh, didn't know the Chairforce did that too. Though in the Navy, the first half of boot was common core, second was specialized training if you were a drill company, like I was, and yes, I too was in drum and bugle.
                            But we still had PT, even worse, our Company Commander was a Water Safety and Physical Training instructor between companies.

Comment

80-83 USS Constellation, 83-84 USS Kitty Hawk. AG2 (that's Aerographer's Mate or weatherman) Lauched all the weather balloons, bathythermagraphs, took observations, coded weather maps. Couldn't be a pilot cause of color vision. Dropped outta school and enlisted for the fun of it! Saw a couple of WestPacs and some of the greatest Navy aircraft of all time! Been building and flying models since I was 4 and to this day can't pass by a wooden glider without giving it a toss! Currently the local club president 'cause I just can't stop flyin' and talkin' about these things.
                              Fly low, fly fast, turn left

Comment

I miss the Army at times except when my back is killing me. Then: not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by DR. Joy View Post
                                  I miss the Army at times except when my back is killing me. Then: not so much.
                                  The biggest thing I miss about the USAF is working on the airplanes. When I signed up, the recruiter asked me what career field I'd like to go into, and my main criteria was that it was on aircraft. With my ASVAB scores, he put me into Avionics Navigation Systems, more commonly called Radar/Nav. It was a pretty good field to get trained in, as it covered a wide spectrum of electronics. I've been steadily employed for over 37 years with that training.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomi View Post

The biggest thing I miss about the USAF is working on the airplanes. When I signed up, the recruiter asked me what career field I'd like to go into, and my main criteria was that it was on aircraft. With my ASVAB scores, he put me into Avionics Navigation Systems, more commonly called Radar/Nav. It was a pretty good field to get trained in, as it covered a wide spectrum of electronics. I've been steadily employed for over 37 years with that training.
                                    What I miss the most is the travel. Over the course of 20 years I made 2 1/2 WESTPACS, 1 Med Cruise, a World Cruise, and various other ports of call. But my shore duty billets got weird. Most people are in either
                                    San Diego or Norfolk. I had 2 years in Cleveland and 3 in New Orleans.

Comment

Active duty Navy 2012-Current. AME, Worked on F/A-18's (Legacy and Supers) then, Hawkeyes (E-2D) now I'm on CODs (C-2A) !

Comment

USN '88 - '96 Ret. Disabled. Fire Controlman. USS Texas, USS California, Weps and RADAR spec. Harpoon, CIWS, RIM-66 surface to air, ASROC, Tomahawk and 5 inch guns.

I wouldn't trade that time for anything. I remember like yesterday the first time I stepped out onto the weather deck at night in the clear South Pacific sky.
                                        There are hundreds of RC aviation videos viewable here; WBRC

Comment

• Originally posted by WrightBrosRC View Post
                                          USN '88 - '96 Ret. Disabled. Fire Controlman. USS Texas, USS California, Weps and RADAR spec. Harpoon, CIWS, RIM-66 surface to air, ASROC, Tomahawk and 5 inch guns.

I wouldn't trade that time for anything. I remember like yesterday the first time I stepped out onto the weather deck at night in the clear South Pacific sky.
                                          Same here about night lite ocean sky... We were in the middle of the Atlantic heading to Little Creek amphib base from the Mediterranean during the short lived Gulf war... never seen sooo many stars in my life within a flat no obstructing 360 degree horizon. Thanks for your service!

Comment

Working...
                                          X