X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wind when is it to much

I normally dont fly above 10mph and it really puts a limit on my flight time. What about you guys?
    AMA 1102566

Depends on what I have at the field. I don't like to fly my lightly loaded foamies around 7-8mph. I do love flying my 1/4 Cub gasser up to around 12-15mph though. Makes for some fun times.

Comment

10 is pretty much my limit. Doc

Comment

All I have is 1400mm fms birds and they seem to be all to light to fly in anything over 5-10
        AMA 1102566

Comment

Flying everyday I've gotten to the point it just doesn't matter anymore, now I don't fly my really nice planes when it's crazy windy but I just came in from flying in 15-20 mph wind and had a ball. I can say that flying everyday has greatly improved my reaction time and understanding of how wind affects a plane.
          TiredIron Aviation
          Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

All of my planes are in the 50 to 60 inch wing span class. I can fly in 15 + MPH winds but I don't enjoy it as much, so I tend to fly in 10 MPH or less when I can.

Comment

I have a few different limits depending on the model I'm flying, but generally I prefer to fly my nicer airplanes under 10 mph. Big, lightly loaded planes like the 1875mm B-17, and Hobbyking Lancaster I only fly under 5 mph. Same goes for my Helis most of the time, just because they are so expensive compared to my planes. Crosswinds also eliminate certian planes from my flight order like the 70mm F-104, or LX F-117. My go to for all higher wind conditions is the 80mm F-86, seems to cut right through the turbulence. Just have to be a bit careful on landing, especially if it is gusty.

Comment

Same here. It depends on what plane I'm flying but normally my max is 10 gusting to 15.

Roy B.

Comment

Same here. It depends on what plane I'm flying but normally my max is 10 gusting to 15.

Roy B.

Comment

Call it crazy, but if the winds are blowing the sock straight out, no flying for me. If its a bit less than that. then I take out the Pandoras and hover fly. Fun to do Harrier landings with a Pandora, just have to be quick to grab them when the wind starts pushing them backwards. If its 5-10 mph straight down the runway, then the WB's are okay to go, when it's a crosswind, not so much. I can do a crosswind landing, its just not fun, not yet anyway.
                    Check out some of the Nefi videos from last year. CB does a great vertical landing in his Dynam FW 190. There's a pro !

Grossman56
                    Team Gross!

Comment

Flying conditions are generally based on the type, size, and weight of the model you intend to fly. The light and smaller the model the lighter the wind will need to be. A model with a wing span of around 60 to 65" and weighing around 7lb would fly quite happily in a 20 MPH wind. This is also dependant on the skill level of the pilot as well.

Martin.

Comment

I luv flying my TechOne P-40 with 1000mm span in 20-30 stuff. That is what drove my skill set to the higher levels :Cool:
                        Warbird Charlie
                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

If over 15 kts I will hanger all birds. Personally I just do not enjoy flying in the wind. It takes all scale out, and are left battling the winds which are absurdly throwing the bird around as it wishes

Comment

Some of the younger guys at our field fly the little Parkzone cubs with like a 12" wingspan when the sock is straight out ! They handle it well, so I chalk it up to mindset. I don't like taking chances with a $500 bird in high winds, however, I'll take the Pandoras and have a ball.

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                              Some of the younger guys at our field fly the little Parkzone cubs with like a 12" wingspan when the sock is straight out ! They handle it well, so I chalk it up to mindset. I don't like taking chances with a $500 bird in high winds, however, I'll take the Pandoras and have a ball.

Grossman56
                              LOL! Yeah, couple guys in our club have those little UMX birds with AS3X tech and they fly them in pretty strong winds just for grins. Like you say they do extremely well.

Comment

Working...
                              X