X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to tell if your esc is blown?

i think my esc is dead after i had a sparky mishap while plugging in my 6s lipo the esc will not make any sounds also my beastx wont power up but the RX does... thoughts?

Plug in a known good motor to the suspect ESC or plug in a good known ESC to the existing motor. A "sparky mishap" when plugging in a battery means (to me) that you reversed the polarity and this generally will blow the ESC. It's also usually accompanied by smoke and sometimes, flames.
    BTW, an ESC doesn't make any noise. It's the motor that makes the sounds when you plug a battery in.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
      Plug in a known good motor to the suspect ESC or plug in a good known ESC to the existing motor. A "sparky mishap" when plugging in a battery means (to me) that you reversed the polarity and this generally will blow the ESC. It's also usually accompanied by smoke and sometimes, flames.
      BTW, an ESC doesn't make any noise. It's the motor that makes the sounds when you plug a battery in.
      yeah i had a light crash while hovering didnt see any damage but i guess 2 wires got nicked by debris and when i went to plug battery in later that day sparky happened fused the 2 wires together now nothing... is there a way to bench test a motor without an esc?

Comment

Originally posted by dragons_rc View Post

yeah i had a light crash while hovering didnt see any damage but i guess 2 wires got nicked by debris and when i went to plug battery in later that day sparky happened fused the 2 wires together now nothing... is there a way to bench test a motor without an esc?
        Not a safe way to do it, an ESC is necessary to run the motor. If you have another plane, you could easily access the wires behind that motor and plug in the one from the "crashed" plane. Or take the motor out of another plane and plug it into the "bad" ESC. Just make sure you use the same number of cells for the battery that is meant for that motor or ESC. IE, don't use a 6s battery on a motor that normally runs on 3s. You can always use a smaller (# of cells) battery for testing.
        Shorting out the power leads likely burns out the ESC. Probably the motor is still good but not guaranteed.

Comment

this is on a trex 470 heli and unfortunately its the only one i have

Comment

Maybe you fly at a place where someone else there could loan you a spare motor or ESC. If not, take it to a hobby shop and ask them to throw on a spare motor. People in the hobby usually have these things just laying around. I've got a box full of them. You don't even need the same motor/ESC nor do you need to load it up. Just hook it up long enough to see if it turns.

Comment

ok ill see if i can

Comment

Check all the connections between the motor and esc. Especially the soldier ends. I had an issue once and it turned out to be a loose soldier joint on the esc. The wires are solid and if moved a bunch can break connection. Brand new esc and I had never flown it.
                When this happened I had a lot of the same issues you describe.

Comment

ill check all the solder joints ty i didnt even think of that

Comment

How do you tell if your ESC is blown? If it looks similar to this....it's blown! Click image for larger version

Name:	ESC blown.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	315876

Comment

Working...
                    X