X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New A3=Immediate Torque Roll!

Setup the A3 per instructions and it worked perfectly on the bench. Correct deflection of all three flying surfaces.  Reset gains to about 11 o'clock and had minimal deflection :D   Kept it turned off for take off, and when at a safe height, turned it on, and the plane did about 3 perfect torque rolls before I could turn it back off!  Landed the plane and reduced the gains to about the 9 o'clock position.  Air bourne again at what I thought was a safe height...turned it on and the result was a beautiful spiral nose down into the terrafirma! :huh:   Lots of destruction of my foamie twin Duke B60!  :@   Any thoughts??

RE: New A3=Immediate Torque Roll!

Originally posted by gary41
    Setup the A3 per instructions and it worked perfectly on the bench. Correct deflection of all three flying surfaces.  Reset gains to about 11 o'clock and had minimal deflection :D   Kept it turned off for take off, and when at a safe height, turned it on, and the plane did about 3 perfect torque rolls before I could turn it back off!  Landed the plane and reduced the gains to about the 9 o'clock position.  Air bourne again at what I thought was a safe height...turned it on and the result was a beautiful spiral nose down into the terrafirma! :huh:   Lots of destruction of my foamie twin Duke B60!  :@   Any thoughts??
    gary41, I'm new the whole gyro thing myself. I just purchased the AL-3, Still waiting to install it. But I checked out ALL the Hobby Eagle Gyros before purchasing. Being a tech savey person, the only thing I can think of that might help is check the auto level function for proper set up. What I see in your post is a confused gyro not knowing which way is up so to speak. Just food for thought from a gyro rookie. Good luck, and so sorry to hear about your crash. Happy flying from the pacific NW.
    Pacific NW Flyer  :arrow:

Comment

Originally posted by FLY BOY
      gary41, I'm new the whole gyro thing myself. I just purchased the AL-3, Still waiting to install it. But I checked out ALL the Hobby Eagle Gyros before purchasing. Being a tech savvy person, the only thing I can think of that might help is check the auto level function for proper set up. What I see in your post is a confused gyro not knowing which way is up so to speak. Just food for thought from a gyro rookie. Good luck, and so sorry to hear about your crash. Happy flying from the pacific NW.
      Thanks, Fly Boy; I'll double check everything and install it in a "dispensable" airplane.

Comment

Originally posted by FLY BOY
        gary41, I'm new the whole gyro thing myself. I just purchased the AL-3, Still waiting to install it. But I checked out ALL the Hobby Eagle Gyros before purchasing. Being a tech savvy person, the only thing I can think of that might help is check the auto level function for proper set up. What I see in your post is a confused gyro not knowing which way is up so to speak. Just food for thought from a gyro rookie. Good luck, and so sorry to hear about your crash. Happy flying from the pacific NW.
        Thanks, Fly Boy;  I'll double check everything and install it in a "dispensable" airplane.
        Hey just read on another forum, another guy had the same problem, and he found that his gyro was programmed wrong. He had his gyro installed in an upside down position but didnt switch his gyro mode into the upside down mode. This would explain the gyros confusion. More food for thot

Comment

Thanks, I'll check that also!

Just checked all the programming, and everything is correct. Stabilizer was installed right side up in the cockpit area floor, just about on the CoG, with the pins facing the tail. Maybe I have a faulty unit. I'll remount in a similar model and use only one flight surface thru the stabilizer at a time and see what happens.

Comment

Thanks, I'll check that also!  

Just checked all the programming, and everything is correct.  Stabilizer was installed right side up in the cockpit area floor, just about on the CoG, with the pins facing the tail.  Maybe I have a faulty unit.  I'll remount in a similar model and use only one flight surface thru the stabilizer at a time and see what happens.
            Oh thats a great idea, Please keep me informed. I have a SU-26 3-D plane I want to put the A3 in but I'm starting with the AL3 to hopefully get that learning curve in first.  Happy Thanksgiving to yea. :D

Comment

did you set the plane level and sync it in the programming?
              It sounds like it was set to verticle sync?

Comment

Originally posted by mflood3800
                did you set the plane  level and sync it in the programming?
                Yes, level and sync'd    did not do any vertical programming, everything done exactly as in instructions.  Gain was set at 11 o'clock positions.  Reset gains to 9 o'clock, but have not had chance to fly.  Will try again this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by mflood3800
                  did you set the plane  level and sync it in the programming?
                  Yes, level and sync'd    did not do any vertical programming, everything done exactly as in instructions.  Gain was set at 11 o'clock positions.  Reset gains to 9 o'clock, but have not had chance to fly.  Will try again this weekend.
                  One very important thing is to not move the plane when plugging it in. You will hear the esc do its regular thing but then wait a few more seconds until you hear the gyro twitch the control surfaces. This tells us that now the gyro has been initialized for the flight and is ready. Believe me it's easy to think all's well as soon as the esc chimes "ready" however, it's not. It's happened to me where I was in a hurry and began to taxi before I heard the "twitch" guess what happened plane rolled over and landed inverted. This after spending a lot of time verifying correct directional corrections and calibrating auto level. If you rush ahead of the initialization all bets are off, it won't matter how thorough you were, you will have problems.

Ryan

Comment

Thanks, Ryan....have not had a chance to fly yet, to darn cold, even here in Alabama!

Comment

not to say anything about these that,s bad but i tried had alot of problems myself finally i got a eagle tree 2d 3d stablizer and all of my problems went away works great now.
                      [hr]
                      i just could not get it too work right at all,when i switched to the other gyro i did not change anything hooked it up same as the a1 here , and it flew great i may have had a bad one.

Comment

Greetings,

UPDATE: I now have 3 of my planes with Hobby Eagle AL-3 gyros installed. All 3 fly and work great. I have had no problems at all. I did notice though that my gain settings are a little higher on my 1450mm P51 Mustang compared to my 1200mm plane which has the gain turned down a little. On my 1100mm plane the gain is down just a touch more. I think because the smaller planes are more sensitive they dont require allot of gain. Food for thought from the Pacific NW.

Comment

I screwed up once and did NOT do the initial stick centering calibration. When I switched the gyro on, it immediately threw the ailerons to max deflections. Not good to do when flying and you are not ready for that action. As soon as I performed the stick centering cal actions all was well again in the world.
                          Addicted to planes!

Comment

Working...
                          X