X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

Chris, it would be awesome if you could make it there sometime.
    It's definitely on my bucket list. Will have to see if I can make it happen sooner than later.
    http://thercgeek.com
    http://youtube.com/thercgeek

Comment

I just ordered.my first one. Can't wait.

Comment

Hurray it arrived a day earlier than expected. Simple easy install. I configured it on a separate channel and mixed it with throttle. Works fantastic.

I will be adding this to all my future jets.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilatrout View Post
          Hurray it arrived a day earlier than expected. Simple easy install. I configured it on a separate channel and mixed it with throttle. Works fantastic.

I will be adding this to all my future jets.
          Awesome, thanks man!! :)
          http://thercgeek.com
          http://youtube.com/thercgeek

Comment

All we need is a black smoke generator for the F4s to give them that authentic trail to go with that burner light

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
              All we need is a black smoke generator for the F4s to give them that authentic trail to go with that burner light
              How cool would that be! Flashbacks oh yea!!

Comment

Ordering some of these awesome afterburners for some of my jets and have a quick question. Seems the foil tape helps a lot, but wondering if just painting it with a gloss enamel silver or even black would work. Not too keen on sticking foil tape in the exhaust nozzles cause I have a fear of it coming loose. Are you guys just using basically aluminum foil tape from Home Depot that is for AC ducts, or something special? Unfortunately I already have the nozzles on both F-4's in a sooty black and if I put aluminum foil tape in I'm wondering if it will look kind of "back woods red-neck" sitting on the tarmac (just cause I use duct tape on everything else including holding the doors to my truck on and the windows in my out-house doesn't mean I'll put it on a nice RC jet )
                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

I just completed lining the exhaust if my F-18 with plain old aluminum foil tape like used on ductwork. If you start at the back and work your way forward the overlaps are with the airflow and the tape won't lift. Working with the fan hatch is a little trickier but you can figure it out. I use a 3/8" wooden dowel with the end rounded off to help install it and burnish it down. Works great and you can always paint the last couple inches of it black near the outlets to better match your sooty nozzles. The main reason I use the tape is to eliminate any light bleed through. Paint doesn't do quite as good of a job.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                    Ordering some of these awesome afterburners for some of my jets and have a quick question. Seems the foil tape helps a lot, but wondering if just painting it with a gloss enamel silver or even black would work. Not too keen on sticking foil tape in the exhaust nozzles cause I have a fear of it coming loose. Are you guys just using basically aluminum foil tape from Home Depot that is for AC ducts, or something special? Unfortunately I already have the nozzles on both F-4's in a sooty black and if I put aluminum foil tape in I'm wondering if it will look kind of "back woods red-neck" sitting on the tarmac (just cause I use duct tape on everything else including holding the doors to my truck on and the windows in my out-house doesn't mean I'll put it on a nice RC jet )
                    Hugh, Keep killin' me. I airbrushed 'Burnt Iron' in my Phantom. I tested the Aluminum Foil-look and even a Flat Gold Foil and opted for the paint. Not as 'Go Fast' as the Aluminum Duct Tape, though 'it'll do'. To each their own as my Gran-pappy used to say. Best, Steve

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.JPG
Views:	997
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	214069
                    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                      I just completed lining the exhaust if my F-18 with plain old aluminum foil tape like used on ductwork. If you start at the back and work your way forward the overlaps are with the airflow and the tape won't lift. Working with the fan hatch is a little trickier but you can figure it out. I use a 3/8" wooden dowel with the end rounded off to help install it and burnish it down. Works great and you can always paint the last couple inches of it black near the outlets to better match your sooty nozzles. The main reason I use the tape is to eliminate any light bleed through. Paint doesn't do quite as good of a job.
                      Thanks for the advice RC and Steve. Both methods seem to get the job done, not sure which I'll end up trying, probably the aluminum foil tape first, anything to get out of the house and over to home depot. The weather here has sucked lately with high winds and rain, so since I can't go flying, afraid my wife is going to ask me to vacuum and mop the floors. Should take me at least 4-5 hours to find the foil tape at the Depot.
                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

I went the foil tape route on my F-22 and love it. I pretty much did what Steve did and I haven't had any issues with the tape curling up.
                        My YouTube RC videos:
                        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Agreed, with the tape fans... you can’t see it on the ground unless looking for it. The tape acts just like the mirror effect on the business end of a flashlight. The last 4 or so inches without the tape doesn’t make a difference really. I did try aluminum spray paint with gloss clear coat as an alternate and it wasn’t the same... I had the tape peel up once when the garbage led rings were the only thing available. It cut a good amount of power and made me abort a takeoff. Now I glance in at the fan to check for it every once in a while.

I found that holding the plane in place and running the throttle up between installing it and flying will show any loose edges that may need to be reattached. Never had a problem since

Comment

Installed the afterburner in my Red Avanti and repainted Stinger 90 (yah, I know these jets don't have afterburners, but it looks too cool). Outstanding product, thanks Chris at RC Geek! I went with the foil tape and did find it very easy to install using the wooden dowel suggested by RCJetDude. With the foil, even in daylight it's almost blinding. These were my test cases for the afterburner, which passed in flying colors, so now I'm ordering 2 more to go in my F4 camo and F4 blue angel.

The unit fit perfect on the 9 bladed 80mm fan using the fans own screws. I had a bit of a challenge though putting it on the 12 blade 90mm fan. The screw holes did not line up with the metal tabs on the EDF (the holes were above the tabs so nothing to hold on to), so I sanded the base of the unit down until the holes lined up. Had a little bit of trouble finding screws that worked for this unit though.

Anyone got a good suggestion for the tap screws they used for the 90mm 12 blade fan?
                            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Just got in the mail my burner for the Avios Mig 17.

fits right on the mount perfectly. I just wish the leads from the burner to the controller were longer. (similar issue with L39). I needed to remove the shrink wrap and add an extension to get the controller up where I can access it when everything is buttoned up.

Comment

I just finished installing the RC Geek afterburners in both my F-4's and my F-16. I now have them in all five of my jets, even though the Avanti and Stinger 90 shouldn't really have them, but man are they cool looking.

These are such nice pieces of equipment, I'd recommend them to anybody, easy to install and with the aluminum foil tape, incredibly bright even in sunlight. The only challenging part is lining the exhaust tube with the tape. I took JC Jet Dude's advice and used the dowel sticks, thanks for that great advice. After cutting a piece the correct length, it helps to curl it in the circular fashion as the tube, even more of a curl while installing. I then attach the foil to a 1/4 inch dowel with a small piece of painters tape at the end going in first, while holding the back up against the stick. Then you can place it in the correct position and press down the center line with the dowel, rolling it sideways to stick down the rest and the painters tape comes right off. Then I use a 3/8 or 1/2 inch dowel to smooth it down all over, with the end of the dowel which is rounded to burnish it down, just like RC Jet Dude said. Man, this guy's got some serious grey matter.

The F-16 already had a factory installed ring, but I decided to add the RC Geek afterburner as well, the more fire the better! The ring AB is red and the RC Geek AB is much brighter and yellow, so when both are on, it kind of gives it a burnt orange hue. Mikey likes it!
                                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                                  I just finished installing the RC Geek afterburners in both my F-4's and my F-16. I now have them in all five of my jets, even though the Avanti and Stinger 90 shouldn't really have them, but man are they cool looking.

These are such nice pieces of equipment, I'd recommend them to anybody, easy to install and with the aluminum foil tape, incredibly bright even in sunlight. The only challenging part is lining the exhaust tube with the tape. I took JC Jet Dude's advice and used the dowel sticks, thanks for that great advice. After cutting a piece the correct length, it helps to curl it in the circular fashion as the tube, even more of a curl while installing. I then attach the foil to a 1/4 inch dowel with a small piece of painters tape at the end going in first, while holding the back up against the stick. Then you can place it in the correct position and press down the center line with the dowel, rolling it sideways to stick down the rest and the painters tape comes right off. Then I use a 3/8 or 1/2 inch dowel to smooth it down all over, with the end of the dowel which is rounded to burnish it down, just like RC Jet Dude said. Man, this guy's got some serious grey matter.

The F-16 already had a factory installed ring, but I decided to add the RC Geek afterburner as well, the more fire the better! The ring AB is red and the RC Geek AB is much brighter and yellow, so when both are on, it kind of gives it a burnt orange hue. Mikey likes it!
                                  They look great Hugh. Nice job!

Comment

I always fold the tape in half right down the middle with the paper backing still on, then remove the wax paper and keep it folded as much as possible. The fold makes it much stronger and more stable. Especially when installing longer strips.

Comment

Does this work with 80 mm outrunners on FW jets?

Post link please I want to order right unit I put it on a 70 mm inrunner works great

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyrabuse View Post
                                        Does this work with 80 mm outrunners on FW jets?

Post link please I want to order right unit I put it on a 70 mm inrunner works great
                                        Absolutely, I have one on all my 90mm, outrunners/inrunners/twin burners, on my 80mm Avanti (although it is an inrunner, but they make them for the outrunner as well) and my twin 70mm inrunners on the SU-30. Wouldn't fly a jet without one. You will also need to line the exhaust tube with A/C aluminum foil tape for maximum brightness. Several people make them, the 2 best are either from gooniac33 or from The RC Geek. You can send a private message to gooniac or contact him through facebook and he will set you up right or go to the RC Geek's website. Can't do better then those 2 guys. Before you install the aluminum foil, I'll give you some good tips on the best way to do it (most of the tips I got from others here on the Squawk). I've now done 10 nozzles so I've learned by trial and error and I think I got it down to a science. Good Luck!
                                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Thank you I put one in my 70 f16 worked great it was the last thing I saw before it nose dived into a tree (my fault)

I'll get another and f16 the burner survived

Comment

Working...
                                          X