X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F6F Hellcat Gyro/Reciever placement

The F6F has a rather large bay area to work with and would like a recommendation on placement for the a3l and the tactic 8 channel receiver. Had thought of adding a platform in the plane to mount both sides by side or just mount them vertically on the sides. I would appreciate any suggestions and comments. Here is a picture of the bay area. Well I thought I was going to add a picture but having difficulties doing so. Anyhow Dynam Hellcat. Thank you.
    Attached Files
    Dewey l

RE: F6F Hellcat Gyro/Reciever placement

I would put the gyro in that recessed spot aft of the wingbolt hardpoints. Then the rx can be anywhere. I'd prefer the gyro be centered rather than tucked away on its side, especially since you have the room. Of course it can be mounted on its side, just not necessary on this application.

Comment

Gyro: (any brand)

As close to on CG as practical.

Must be mounted level (more important than being on CG)
      Must be pointed the correct direction. and right side up. (or programmed to deal with being on its side...)

if the gyro is mounted on its side and not programmed for it (or rearrange what servo is plugged where) then yaw causing an elevator excursion or pitch causing a rudder excursion are likely. That would be 100% no fun to attempt to control...

The rules for mounting a gyro stabilizer are simple:

Mount it right or you'll be sorry you plugged it in.
      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Thanks guys.
        Raynn , are you speaking of the flat area below the flat area under the hard points for the wings.
        Dewey l

Comment

I believe he is, Dewey.

I'll add that it is imperative to program the gyro to be remotely turned off. For your first flights (after already setting it up according to the instruction manual and our videos), power up the aircraft and gyro, allow the gyro to calibrate, and ensure the switch toggles between modes. Then, instead of taking off the the gyro on, take off with the gyro OFF. Wait until you're high and level, then turn the gyro on and observe what it does. If it's too sensitive, then turn the gyro off and land the aircraft under your control. Make any adjustments on the ground, then try again. Continue this procedure until you have the gyro's sensitivity tuned to your liking.

Gyros can be extremely helpful, but as I always say, they are only as good as they are calibrated by the user. Calibrated correctly, and you'll love it. Calibrated incorrectly, and you'll be sorry.
          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC
            I believe he is, Dewey.

I'll add that it is imperative to program the gyro to be remotely turned off. For your first flights (after already setting it up according to the instruction manual and our videos), power up the aircraft and gyro, allow the gyro to calibrate, and ensure the switch toggles between modes. Then, instead of taking off the the gyro on, take off with the gyro OFF. Wait until you're high and level, then turn the gyro on and observe what it does. If it's too sensitive, then turn the gyro off and land the aircraft under your control. Make any adjustments on the ground, then try again. Continue this procedure until you have the gyro's sensitivity tuned to your liking.

Gyros can be extremely helpful, but as I always say, they are only as good as they are calibrated by the user. Calibrated correctly, and you'll love it. Calibrated incorrectly, and you'll be sorry.
            Thank you Apha
            I appreciate it. I was planning on using the tx for calibration. I think I read somewhere on the forum that you could do that. I definitely won't take off with it on. Just the thought scares me to death. I would welcome a description on the best way to set it up through the tx. What to set the gains on the unit itself before changing on the tx. Any help would be really helpful. Thank you and Motion for your great services to the RC community.
            Dewey l

Comment

Working...
            X