X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello guys!

I'm new to the forum & even though I'm am old man, I'm a noob with RC. My question is, I have a Turnigy RX Pro. What receivers are compatible with this transmitter? I'm having a heck of a time discerning what receivers will work with it. If my choices are limited with the Turnigy, is there a transmitter under $100 or just a little more that have a wide range of receivers to chose from?

Thanks in advance!!

You might post up a picture of your transmitter. I can't find a Turnigy RX Pro on the HobbyKing site. It may be an older, outdated model. Check the owners manual to see what protocols it will work with. It may even tell you that you can buy a module to work with different protocols. HobbyKing would be the best place to look for receivers to work with that transmitter, since Turnigy is their in house brand.
    If you are looking for a more common, cheap variety of transmitter in the $100.00 range, that may be a hard order to fill. They tend to work with only one protocol and all your receivers will have to be compatible to that protocol. Take a look at the cheap Spektrum, Dynam and Futaba transmitters. To get a radio that has the ability to work with different protocols, you will need to spend much more money.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathetes View Post
      I'm new to the forum & even though I'm am old man, I'm a noob with RC. My question is, I have a Turnigy RX Pro. What receivers are compatible with this transmitter? I'm having a heck of a time discerning what receivers will work with it. If my choices are limited with the Turnigy, is there a transmitter under $100 or just a little more that have a wide range of receivers to chose from?

Thanks in advance!!
      I too am an old man (77). My advice as a long time R/C guy is always get the best transmitter you can afford. Cheap will only disappoint in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
        You might post up a picture of your transmitter. I can't find a Turnigy RX Pro on the HobbyKing site. It may be an older, outdated model. Check the owners manual to see what protocols it will work with. It may even tell you that you can buy a module to work with different protocols. HobbyKing would be the best place to look for receivers to work with that transmitter, since Turnigy is their in house brand.
        If you are looking for a more common, cheap variety of transmitter in the $100.00 range, that may be a hard order to fill. They tend to work with only one protocol and all your receivers will have to be compatible to that protocol. Take a look at the cheap Spektrum, Dynam and Futaba transmitters. To get a radio that has the ability to work with different protocols, you will need to spend much more money.
        Thanks,my friend! Doing some research I guess a transmitter that is compatible with open TX is the way to go?

Comment

Thanks,my friend! Doing some research I guess a transmitter that is compatible with open TX is the way to go?
          Yes, but that will far exceed your $100.00 price envelope.
          On a side note. Spektrum is the most widely used radio for RC planes. You might look into a medium priced Spektrum digital radio and use Spektrum compatible receivers to save money.

Comment

Thanks in advance!!
            Ahoy Skipper!....As the other old blokes have pointed out, buy what you can afford! otherwise, an observation to those who are cheap says: "The Bitterness Of Poor Quality Remains Long After The Sweetness Of A Low Price Is Forgotten"....Spektrum is the product that put the modern 2.4Ghz radios on the map back in 2005. Many planes fly Spektrum and so do many others. You are supposed to "Get What You Pay For"; that isn't always true as it used to be, but it's still a place where everyone needs to go...

Comment

If you go for Radiomaster, for instance, you will have OpenTX or EdgeTX and it is compatible with a whole range of Frsky receivers. The advantage there is in the long term, as you might start needing more receivers. These receivers have 16 channels (via sbus), full telemetry, some even with stabilization integrated. Prices are around 40 bucks for an X8R, which has 8 servo connectors, but internally has 16 channels available. I've been using these for around 10 years now, and never had any issue in terms of reliability, they are rock solid. You will have standard telemetry feedback about signal strength/quality, which allows you to detect any problems with antenna placement before it ever becomes a problem. You will get a warning when an (configurable) low threshold of signal strength is reached by the receiver, and another when this becomes even more critical. I've had this situation twice, when there appeared to be carbon hidden inside the fuselage of a model, blocking one of the antennae from a certain angle.
              The low price sure doesn't mean low quality here, as their track record proves.
              If you stay in the hobby, there is a nice upgrade path towards the new Tandem series receivers, which combine 2.4GHz and 900MHz into one receiver, and up to 18 servo connectors, dual power supply input for redundancy, integrated stabilization (configurable for any of the channels), etc.
              If you stay in the hobby, there is a nice upgrade path towards the new Tandem series receivers, which combine 2.4GHz and 900MHz into one receiver, and up to 18 servo connectors, dual power supply input for redundancy, integrated stabilization (configurable for any of the channels), etc.
              In my club, more and more people started to move to Frsky, and none of them has experienced any incidents that would indicate a low quality.

Comment

Originally posted by HangarQueen View Post
                If you go for Radiomaster, for instance, you will have OpenTX or EdgeTX and it is compatible with a whole range of Frsky receivers. The advantage there is in the long term, as you might start needing more receivers. These receivers have 16 channels (via sbus), full telemetry, some even with stabilization integrated. Prices are around 40 bucks for an X8R, which has 8 servo connectors, but internally has 16 channels available. I've been using these for around 10 years now, and never had any issue in terms of reliability, they are rock solid. You will have standard telemetry feedback about signal strength/quality, which allows you to detect any problems with antenna placement before it ever becomes a problem. You will get a warning when an (configurable) low threshold of signal strength is reached by the receiver, and another when this becomes even more critical. I've had this situation twice, when there appeared to be carbon hidden inside the fuselage of a model, blocking one of the antennae from a certain angle.
                The low price sure doesn't mean low quality here, as their track record proves.
                In my club, more and more people started to move to Frsky, and none of them has experienced any incidents that would indicate a low quality.
                Thank you! Now a silly question, I was looking at the Radiomaster TX12, am I reading the description correctly that OpenTX is already built in? https://www.radiomasterrc.com/produc...dio-controller

Comment

Originally posted by AirHead View Post

Ahoy Skipper!....As the other old blokes have pointed out, buy what you can afford! otherwise, an observation to those who are cheap says: "The Bitterness Of Poor Quality Remains Long After The Sweetness Of A Low Price Is Forgotten"....Spektrum is the product that put the modern 2.4Ghz radios on the map back in 2005. Many planes fly Spektrum and so do many others. You are supposed to "Get What You Pay For"; that isn't always true as it used to be, but it's still a place where everyone needs to go...
                  Thanks for you input!!

Comment

Thank you! Now a silly question, I was looking at the Radiomaster TX12, am I reading the description correctly that OpenTX is already built in? https://www.radiomasterrc.com/produc...dio-controller
                    Yeah, it is really not clear from that page whether it was installed or not, but that doesn't really matter much, as it is very easy to install.
                    First, you can already install the Companion software on your PC, which will allow you to install OpenTX on the radio, through a USB connection.
                    This Companion software is actually a very nice piece of kit. It allows you to program your models on the PC, simulate the radio, view telemetry logs, make backup copies of your models from your radio, and much more. It will download the most recent version of OpenTX for you, then by a single click you can select to install it on your (USB-connected) radio.
                    And remember, all receivers are 16 channels, but they differ in the number of servo connectors on them. If for instance you want to connect a 9th servo to an X8R, you can use an Sbus decoder to connect 4 more, or 8 more with 2 of those decoders.

Comment

When I talk to someone considering a new TX purchase, especially a different operating system I always suggest that they find someone that has the radio and borrow it to check out feel, switch positions, menus and ease of using the operating system. I've been flying a long time and do exactly that. When I considered my first 2.4 system I was flying Futaba on 72MHz and bought a module to convert the signal to 2.4 DSM2. I asked my club members if I could hold, and in a couple cases borrow their radio and a spare receiver to actually install and fly it. Other than the old DX-7 and 9503 I tried Futaba and Hitec. I settled on a soon to be available 9503X mostly because the, at the time new Orange receivers that were DSM2 compatible and very inexpensive (I had about 60 aircraft to convert over and receivers would be many times the price of the transmitter). Open source wasn't available yet. When the first Frsky TXs came out I bought one to try out and to learn OS so when people asked for help I could (I was the club TX guru). Let me say I hated OS, to me it was and still is not intuitive and I have to relearn every time I fiddle with it (I still have a current Frsky TX in my hobby room in case). Compared to Futaba, JR, Spek or any other radio I feel like OS is a operating system designed for quad copters or aircraft that are simple set ups. As soon as you go beyond simple servo travel, reversing, and maybe some dual rates It is much smarter to have a radio that has software designed for an airplane, a helicopter, a quad built in with specific functions you simply turn on or off. Many people say OS is powerful and they can program a plane in 5 minutes but my experience is different when I see those same people try to enable a mix for hours, 4-5 people hunched over the bench trying, and still not get it and take it home to work on it.

Another thought is warranty and service support. Many of these awesome OS TX's don't have it. Spek not only does but so far it's basically lifetime free servicing even if you caused the damage.

Spektrum transmitters can use their own brand receivers plus there are compatible Orang, Lemon, Redcon, iRanger and others that work well and are very inexpensive.

The Radiomaster TX16 with Edge and a muti protocol module is a good choice. A decent operating system that works with a bunch of different receivers.

Oh, remember you need a system that works with DSM2 or DSMX if you buy many bind and fly airplanes.

Comment

Thanks in advance!!
                        You say you are both old and an R/C newbie.

Unless you are also a computer geek, I suggest you take the recommendations of computer geeks with a grain of salt. Choose something that others like you​ in your area are using, and that they can help you with. There's enough new stuff to learn about flying RC without adding an extra layer of complexity that only a geek could love. I see guys at our field fiddling for hours with Open TX stuff while the rest of us are flying.

PS I've been in this hobby for decades and I am also quite techie (PhD physics, I wrote software for nuclear weapons labs and for the US Navy back in the day) and I still choose to avoid the geekiest R/C stuff.

Comment

I suggest to download the Companion software, and try to program a model, so you can judge if it is complex to you or not. The only person to be able to judge that is yourself.
                          The Companion software is a realistic representation of what you will see and do on the radio itself, it even allows you to simulate (through a button marked "simulate") the behavior of each channel.
                          Let's say you want to mix ailerons to the rudder.
                          1) You select which channel the rudder is connected to, and give it a name
                          2) Add the rudder input to this channel, the "weight" field defines the percentage of this input that will be used for the channel output.
                          3) Add the aileron input to this channel, configure the percentage of this input that will contribute to the channel output. (negative value if you want it to go the other way)
                          Done.

Comment

Originally posted by HangarQueen View Post
                            I suggest to download the Companion software, and try to program a model, so you can judge if it is complex to you or not. The only person to be able to judge that is yourself.
                            The Companion software is a realistic representation of what you will see and do on the radio itself, it even allows you to simulate (through a button marked "simulate") the behavior of each channel.
                            Let's say you want to mix ailerons to the rudder.
                            1) You select which channel the rudder is connected to, and give it a name
                            2) Add the rudder input to this channel, the "weight" field defines the percentage of this input that will be used for the channel output.
                            3) Add the aileron input to this channel, configure the percentage of this input that will contribute to the channel output. (negative value if you want it to go the other way)
                            Done.
                            No offense, but I've been flying for over 10 years and even to me, this is all gibberish. Imagine a newbie trying to decipher what all this means. Why give the rudder a name? It's called "rudder". Weight? Percentage? Negative value? I'm afraid when you are newbie, it is far from "done".

@Mathetes​ If you're not a "techie", read over again what Evan D and kallend posted lately. It bears another read and may be very relevant to you. Last year, someone with an FrSky TX came to me asking for help. I could not help him. Nobody at the field could help him. We never saw him again for months. He came back with a DXsomething and flew that day. These "open" things may be getting more and more people to use them but will there be anyone where you fly? Do you want to just fly or do you want to go back to school? I applaud "oldies" who go back to university when they are 80. Are you like that? I'm not.

Comment

Maybe let him try it out and decide for himself. Let's not try to decide in his place what is complex and what is not?
                              I call it the freedom to name a channel (it's even optional, you can have the setup wizard name it for you), to choose which output of your receiver has what function. And a percentage is what it is: a fraction of how much of aileron you want to send to the rudder channel output. I find it very hard to call that complex. How else would you define a mixer?
                              In the last couple of years, I've seen all sorts of people switching to Frsky, even a 70-year old. This year alone, multiple club members came to me to show their new Frsky radio, they didn't need any help at all, they programmed their models in it and showed it to me.
                              Complexity is in the eye of the beholder: it depends on whatever you are already used to. Anything that differs much from your current system will be perceived as complex. When I try out a Spektrum radio, I find it difficult to use. Just because I don't know where everything is, and what the logic is of that system. When I joined the club, they tried to convince me to move to Spektrum too, with the arguments mentioned above. I tried it, and it just didn't fit me. That doesn't make it a bad or a complex system, it just didn't fit me.
                              It's a very personal and subjective thing.
                              So, bottom line for me, try it out, then decide.

Comment

I agree with try it out 100% as I said. He could be of the mind set he "gets it" and decides on OS. He may be a programmer at heart and a model aircraft enthusiast secondly.

But as I've said I've seen way more people frustrated with OS than any other system. Here at my club, like Xviper said, we have had people with OS radios try to get help and then get frustrated to the point they formed a OS user group and posted signs all over the place asking people that understand it to join and people that didn't to contact a point of contact person (sound like AA or something?) anyway, the signs got up and they never found any one that understands it sufficiently to be their go to person. That tells me what I want to know.

I am still the person people come to when they can't figure it out, open source or a 1980's era Futaba. But I can figure out that Futaba a lot faster than the OS question....

And yes we have had a few go to the OS platform. Easily half return to what they used before or to Spektrum. But again I have to repeat the Radiomaster TX16 and multiprotocol system and Edge is a good choice. But, for me still a second choice...

Comment

I've got a DX-6 in great condition that I'm willing to part with for $200 shipping included. It will work with all receivers on the market. It's mainly used to buddy box my planes with family, friends, and students.

Comment

None of the people that I know that use OpenTX or Ethos are programmers.....or even computer geeks, just basic computer users, for everyday use.
                                    I'm really amazed that the members of your club have this much problems. As I said, people around me switched to OpenTX and Ethos, all of them over the age of 60 (with one exception, a 50-plus guy) and even 70, and they learned it all by themselves. On some occasions, I helped them with some details, that's it.
                                    And online, there already is a large community, why start your own?
                                    Evan, by the way, it intrigues me, why do you refer to it as "OS"? Just curious...I've known it being referred to as OTX, but never as "OS".

Comment

With the three different Futaba types, JR, Jeti, Frsky, Flysky, 72MHz, 27MHz, 56MHz?

DX6e, DX6i, DX6, DX6G1, G2, G3?

Comment

Open Source. That's how Iwas introduced to it as a general classification.

Comment

Working...
                                        X