• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
    Open Source.
    Ah! Now I get it 🙂

Comment

Originally posted by HangarQueen View Post

Yeah, it is really not clear from that page whether it was installed or not, but that doesn't really matter much, as it is very easy to install.
      First, you can already install the Companion software on your PC, which will allow you to install OpenTX on the radio, through a USB connection.
      This Companion software is actually a very nice piece of kit. It allows you to program your models on the PC, simulate the radio, view telemetry logs, make backup copies of your models from your radio, and much more. It will download the most recent version of OpenTX for you, then by a single click you can select to install it on your (USB-connected) radio.
      And remember, all receivers are 16 channels, but they differ in the number of servo connectors on them. If for instance you want to connect a 9th servo to an X8R, you can use an Sbus decoder to connect 4 more, or 8 more with 2 of those decoders.
      Thank you for taking the time to share your considerable expertise with me, really appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
        When I talk to someone considering a new TX purchase, especially a different operating system I always suggest that they find someone that has the radio and borrow it to check out feel, switch positions, menus and ease of using the operating system. I've been flying a long time and do exactly that. When I considered my first 2.4 system I was flying Futaba on 72MHz and bought a module to convert the signal to 2.4 DSM2. I asked my club members if I could hold, and in a couple cases borrow their radio and a spare receiver to actually install and fly it. Other than the old DX-7 and 9503 I tried Futaba and Hitec. I settled on a soon to be available 9503X mostly because the, at the time new Orange receivers that were DSM2 compatible and very inexpensive (I had about 60 aircraft to convert over and receivers would be many times the price of the transmitter). Open source wasn't available yet. When the first Frsky TXs came out I bought one to try out and to learn OS so when people asked for help I could (I was the club TX guru). Let me say I hated OS, to me it was and still is not intuitive and I have to relearn every time I fiddle with it (I still have a current Frsky TX in my hobby room in case). Compared to Futaba, JR, Spek or any other radio I feel like OS is a operating system designed for quad copters or aircraft that are simple set ups. As soon as you go beyond simple servo travel, reversing, and maybe some dual rates It is much smarter to have a radio that has software designed for an airplane, a helicopter, a quad built in with specific functions you simply turn on or off. Many people say OS is powerful and they can program a plane in 5 minutes but my experience is different when I see those same people try to enable a mix for hours, 4-5 people hunched over the bench trying, and still not get it and take it home to work on it.

Another thought is warranty and service support. Many of these awesome OS TX's don't have it. Spek not only does but so far it's basically lifetime free servicing even if you caused the damage.

Spektrum transmitters can use their own brand receivers plus there are compatible Orang, Lemon, Redcon, iRanger and others that work well and are very inexpensive.

The Radiomaster TX16 with Edge and a muti protocol module is a good choice. A decent operating system that works with a bunch of different receivers.

Oh, remember you need a system that works with DSM2 or DSMX if you buy many bind and fly airplanes.
        Thanks for the great input my friend, some good advice on clubs etc..unfortunately because of my schedule, I work nights & sleep days, its hard to join a club :(

I think because of your advise & others here, my next transmitter will be the Radiomaster TX16!

Comment

I want to thank of of you for your input, its really refreshing to see so many people willing to take the time to help a total newbie like me!! I'm def. not a computer geek, but our oldest son is, he's a programmer for Microsoft, so I have a great resource for computer questions! I want to share something with ya that I found mind blowing! After not having any luck with finding receivers for my Trunigy 9X Pro, I even called the place where I bought it in 2018, & I wore Goggle out trying to get an answer, my son suggested CHATGTP, its a new Ai program, its easy & free! Anyway I asked it for answers, this was its response in under 3 seconds!
          "The RC Turnigy RXPro transmitter is a 2.4GHz transmitter that is compatible with a wide range of receivers. It is generally compatible with any receiver that uses the same protocol (such as PPM, PCM, or 2.4GHz FHSS) and has the same number of channels as the transmitter.

Some specific receivers that are known to work well with the RC Turnigy RXPro transmitter include:
          • The FrSky X4R and X4R-SB receivers
          • The FlySky FS-iA6B and FS-iA10B receivers
          • The LemonRX DSMX compatible receiver
          • The Turnigy TGY-iA6C and TGY-iA10B receivers"
          ​Just thought I would share this for anyone that might need help finding difficult problems, its even writes code that works very well!

Curious on ya's thoughts on the Ai's answers about receivers, does it sound legit?

I am because of ya's suggestions going to buy the Radiomaster Tx12 next month, until then I'm picking up one of the receivers suggested by the Ai

Again, thank you ALL & God bless!

Comment

Congratulations, I hope you will enjoy your new radio and more importantly, the RC hobby. It doesn't matter what choice you made, the most important thing is to enjoy it.
            I forgot to mention, there are some great resources available for OpenTX.
            First of all, you'll find a large user community on RC groups forums, like https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3493859-RadioMaster-TX16S-16Ch-2-4ghz-Multi-Protocol-OpenTX-Radio-System
            There are other threads available, specifically on OpenTX, where you can get answers to your questions.

But the best resources for new users is without any doubt OpenTX University https://open-txu.org/
            Again, I would recommend that you download and install the Companion program that goes with OpenTX, and have a go at it, with this website guiding you through the different parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathetes View Post
              Some specific receivers that are known to work well with the RC Turnigy RXPro transmitter include:
              • The FrSky X4R and X4R-SB receivers
              • The FlySky FS-iA6B and FS-iA10B receivers
              • The LemonRX DSMX compatible receiver
              • The Turnigy TGY-iA6C and TGY-iA10B receivers"
              ​Just thought I would share this for anyone that might need help finding difficult problems, its even writes code that works very well!

Curious on ya's thoughts on the Ai's answers about receivers, does it sound legit?
              I have no idea about any of these receivers, never used any of them. I am just a bit surprised to see that for Frsky they only talk about a 4-channel receiver. If an X4R works, then an X6R and X8R should work too(they use exactly the same protocol), and those are more interesting in the long term. And the price difference is minimal (as they are all 16 channel receivers anyway), so I would go for the X8R, you can't go wrong there. Unless you are restricted in weight and size of your receiver, then the X4R would make sense.
              As I already mentioned, they are all basically 16 channel receivers, carry telemetry through smartport, and you can access all 16 channels through the sbus connection. They only differ in the number of physical servo connectors. That is why the price difference is small.

Comment

[QUOTE=HangarQueen;n368132] . . . . all of them over the age of 60 (with one exception, a 50-plus guy) and even 70 . . . . /QUOTE]

I find that very condescending. Since turning 70 I have:

Set two FAI certified skydiving world records.
                Certified as a scuba diver.
                Flown my own plane across the USA and back.
                Taught myself two new programming languages.
                Hiked on Antarctica.
                Taught myself CAD and 3D printing.
                Have over 300 users worldwide for my do-it-yourself EDF afterburner design.

Comment

[QUOTE=kallend;n368244]
                  Originally posted by HangarQueen View Post
                  . . . . all of them over the age of 60 (with one exception, a 50-plus guy) and even 70 . . . . /QUOTE]

I find that very condescending. Since turning 70 I have:

Set two FAI certified skydiving world records.
                  Certified as a scuba diver.
                  Flown my own plane across the USA and back.
                  Taught myself two new programming languages.
                  Hiked on Antarctica.
                  Taught myself CAD and 3D printing.
                  Have over 300 users worldwide for my do-it-yourself EDF afterburner design.
                  I'm sorry if that came over as condescending, it was meant as just the opposite really.
                  I kind of read between the lines that this is only for young computer nerds, but I guess I read wrong there. I was merely trying to convey the message that even though the author of this thread indicates "being an old man", that this shouldn't be a problem learning stuff like this.
                  I turned 60 last year myself, and I refuse to feel old in a very stubborn way (I certified as a scuba diver at 50, which I now consider as very young, go figure).
                  I'm sorry of it came across like that, I wrote that with the best of intentions.

Comment

For me and my posts when I said people that like programming it was generic as I think a lot of older people when they have extra time get into new interests and just because you like airplanes doesn't mean you like programing, or building, or even simple assembly that may go along with the new airplane hobby. I fly a lot of FPV quads and there is a lot of set up you CAN do like smart audio that I just don't do. I want it simple, just enough to get out and it to fly well while giving me some good video. But the I don't use gyros in my planes and don't care about telemetry. We all have our own interests.

I'm 66 and got my scuba certification at 15... I don't know what you want to read into that though... :)

Not as condescending as in another thread where they said "change of attitude among the grumpy old men"...

Comment

Working...
                    X