X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A3L Never had this happen before!

So I had my Avanti out at the field last week, flew great until making my final turn for landing. I installed an A3L in her this year and it made all the difference. Suddenly the airplane was uncontrollable and the inevitable lawn dart occurred. I've had this plane for years and know all its idiosyncrasies. This was weird.
    So, I installed the gyro on my Old Crow and the strangest thing happens..
    After checking the wiring I ran the controls with the gyro off all the stick commands activate the correct control surfaces as you would expect. I turn the gyro on to test the control correction from the gyro. When I dip the nose to see the elevator correct, the rudder swings, if I turn the plane from side to side, the elevator moves!!
    Again, I ran through the wiring and everything is correct!?!?
    I've been using A3L's for close to a decade, I must have ten of them and I've never ran across this. Obviously the gyro is junk, but a warning to all, cost me my only jet and an airplane I really enjoyed flying.
    I can't for the life of me figure out what would cause this.

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Sounds like somehow the programing for its mounting orientation, number 8 on the menu, got changed from flat to upright (vertical).

Comment

Now that's a thought!
      I had it mounted vertical, the only plane I've done that so far with was the Avanti. I'll bet you're right, heading for the basement right now.
      Another dumb old guy moment. Still doesn't explain the crash, but hey, sometimes we just don't get an answer. Winter projects are born at the airfield.

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

Oh if you have the orientation wrong it will do some crazy things and if you put it into self leveling it was going to crash anything you do…

Comment

Sure as all hell, it works now!
          Thanks!
          Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

A second set of eyes from across the country!

Comment

Working...
            X