X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Receiver location question

I've got my new F-86 ready to fly but I'm wondering if the spot I choose for the receiver is bad, I think it's in a bad spot.

This is NOT where the receiver was mounted in the one I lost.

You'll notice the the antenna wire on the left is under the three wires going from the ESC to the EDF.

Any one have an opinion on this?

I try to find a place so that the wires are free and clear, making sure that they're 90 degrees to each other. Sometimes a satellite antennae is a good way to go. As for the F 86, hopefully Lon or Ryan will chime in as they both have extensive flights on theirs. See if you can PM them.

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

I think it would be fine. Here's a pic of mine. At the very back is my Telemetry module. Then as you look forward there's the receiver with my satellite way up front.
      NOTE: My 4000 battery ends up against my receiver for proper CG.
      Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
      Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post
        I've got my new F-86 ready to fly but I'm wondering if the spot I choose for the receiver is bad, I think it's in a bad spot.

This is NOT where the receiver was mounted in the one I lost.

You'll notice the the antenna wire on the left is under the three wires going from the ESC to the EDF.

Any one have an opinion on this?
        That looks like a Lemon RX. Is it? Does it have a satellite? I've used a similar RX with sat and the main RX is up against the flight battery, with the battery cables running very close to it. The satellite is usually a bit further away from the main but still right next to the battery. It still seems to work.

Comment

That's where I have placed mine and have not had any issues. Your set up looks good and I believe you will be just fine.

Comment

A range check should help reduce some of your apprehension.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper2 View Post
              A range check should help reduce some of your apprehension.
              Excellent point viper!!!!!
              Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
              Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

That looks like a Lemon RX. Is it? Does it have a satellite? I've used a similar RX with sat and the main RX is up against the flight battery, with the battery cables running very close to it. The satellite is usually a bit further away from the main but still right next to the battery. It still seems to work.
                It is satellite capable but I do not have a satellite for it. I will definitely range check it. :)

Comment

It is satellite capable but I do not have a satellite for it. I will definitely range check it. :)
                  If I'm not mistaken, to get full range you must have a satellite UNLESS you have the newer "diversity" RX, which has the 2 short antennas coming out the same end of the RX. Those are the only ones advertised to not need a satellite even though there is a plug in for a satellite. Personally, I don't like the diversity RX because if one antenna gets a bit loose, it won't even have the range to do a range check. I much prefer the "regular" RX with satellite or the Spektrum ones with the one long antenna that has some kind of lump (range extending resister?) near the end.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, to get full range you must have a satellite UNLESS you have the newer "diversity" RX
                    Interesting, I've got 5 Lemon's in planes now and none of them have satellites hooked up to them. I will look into that.

Comment

Interesting, I've got 5 Lemon's in planes now and none of them have satellites hooked up to them. I will look into that.
                      Interesting. Are they the diversity types? Have you flown at long distance (ie, beyond 500 feet)? You might be reaching the limit of range without the sat. When you come down, is the light in the RX blinking? That's means it's lost contact momentarily at least once during the flight. At least that's what my Spektrums do.

Comment

No diversity's and I've never noticed the RX blinking. I've gone past 500' away from me.

Comment

No diversity's and I've never noticed the RX blinking. I've gone past 500' away from me.
                          Well, I think if it range checks OK, then not to worry.

Comment

I've been reading up on the satellite and when to use them. From what I have found today the consensus is the satellite will not extend range but it will cut down on receiver shading (I guess this is where the signal gets cut momentarily).

I will definitely range check before I fly.

Comment

Don't forget, that model is foam; you can use a pin or toothpick to make a hole for the active end of the antenna, which is only 31mm long, just about anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X