X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Radios?

The choices we make & the entire gamut of radios available today can be quite confusing & lend to having 2nd thoughts after a purchase. When I got back into RC back in '02 after a long hiatus, I still used my 'ol trusty JR Circus Hobby PCM9's on 72Mhz that only needed the batteries replaced. They worked flawlessly. When I joined my bro's flying club, I had the opportunity to look at a fellow club members JR10X & asked questions. He really enlightened me regarding the benefits of programmable radios & when I held it, I could feel the quality. I ended up getting (2), one already setup for 72Mhz w/SelScan module & the 2nd setup with the Spektrum DM-9 2.4Ghz module. Since I fly various genres of planes;  trainer, warbird, glider, & EDF, the programming attributes of the 10X provided me with every function I would need. I never had to 2nd guess my choice. I had to really engage my "senior" grey matter to fully have a complete understanding of this new radios abilities, although reading the manual 10 times, YouTube, & fellow club members, made the transition easy. No one can tell "you" what is best for "you".....just do some homework, go out & "feel" the many brands & what they offer, & make a choice that SATISFIES YOU!!!

Denny
    *** \"A man\'s word is his honor....without honor there is nothing.\" ***
    *** I have no hesitation to kill nor reservation to die for the Flag & Constitution of the USA. ***

Comment

I'm fairly new to this and chose a Tactic 650 just for the reasons many others have said, relatively inexpensive, enough options to keep me busy as I get more proficient and the Rx are priced where you can buy one for each plane and not have to swap it out because of price. But lately I've started to wonder if I made a wrong choice for the longer term. I'm still learning but my understanding is the Tactic radio will not work with the SAFE or AS3X aircraft. Maybe I would have been better off spending a little more up front for a Spektrum radio w/ Anylink. Kind of cover whatever is out there. Right now I'm thinking I may be shopping for a used or cheap Skektrum for these others I can't fly right now.

Comment

Its been a little bit but I guess my 2 cents on controllers. One of the advantages I liked about the Taranis (and why I got it) was the ability to use JR modules to give me greater compatibility. I really liked the feel of the spektrums, but I had a couple of non Spektrum helis I wanted to fly. By getting the taranis and a flysky JR module it gave me the ability to, Now that I own a Blade heli I also have the Orange TX module which does spektrum stuff. As I move up in skill and time I look to put the FrSky rx into the planes I get. (cant say anything about Anylink as I have not tried them).

On the programming aspect I have to agree the Taranis is a steep learning curve, for me, however, that is part of the fun *LOL*.

Steve

Comment

Will the tactic work on the mini kk board with the cppm setup like for a mini quad

Comment

Working...
          X