X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A larger Catalina Flying boat needed!

Wasn't really sure where to post this so I'm starting here.

Having just finished building the Flightline P38 it occurred to me that with the same counter rotating motors and props I bet a large PBY Catalina could be built and marketed.

I owned the Dynam Catalina for a few years until it flew it into a tree but never replaced it as it really is a pond boat. It would be great to have a larger version that could handle some small waves, say up to 4 inches or so. It wouldn't need wheels as we could just fly it off a beach or off a boat as in my case. Basically a larger version of the Dynam only with better construction and counter rotating props.
    Without the cost of retracts etc. I bet this could sell for a very reasonable price and as a relatively easy plane to fly would be attractive to many.

There seems to be not much choice available in the flying boat category, specially for larger versions.

I'm missing that Catalina: would love a bigger one!

Thanks for listening!

:Cool: great idea......... I'd be all over a FL 16-17 hundred sized PBY with the same power sys that the Tigercat and Lightning both use.
    Make the wing tips removable just outside the cowls for transport.
    What you think of that Alpha
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

As a hardcore Dynam PBY owner (4 of them) I agree 100%!
      TiredIron Aviation
      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Thanks for your support guys! You know, there is a lot of history surrounding the PBY's in the Pacific war acting as rescue boats for downed fliers. Other squadrons such as the "Black Cats" did night raids on the enemy dropping bombs and machine gunning. There is potential here for MRC to memorialize another great WW2 aircraft and it's intrepid pilots.
        There is also the story of PBY's being shipped to the Russians during the war under the lend lease program. All these stories have potential for decals and personalization.

I just read an interesting book from Amazon Kindle called "the Rescue Man" about a young pilot, Bud Hayes from Idaho, who served as a rescue pilot. A fascinating story if you like WW2 American history and want to know more about the Catalina's use in the Pacific war. The book is written by Henry Lowenstein his great uncle.

Cheers! Bluebird

Comment

I'll pay a lot for retracts and retracting floats.

Comment

Completely agree. A big PBY with retracts and tip floats would be a winner! And maybe the retract mechanism could be tweaked for a Grumman Goose later down the road as well..

Comment

Ya, the Catalina would be awesome in large super scale with retracts optional. While they are doing that one, they should do the same in a Canadair CL-415

Comment

Well the retracts can be done at a reasonable cost just like the flyzone seawind. I would love to see it as a 1700mm

Comment

I wholeheartedly agree. A PBY the same scale as B-24 would be ideal.

Comment

Agreed, something bigger than the Dynam one would be great. Although this one will just fit in my SUV now.

I am in the final stages of my Dynam "Black Cat" conversion. Its all painted up black and I am making my VPF71 cat logos today and hope to put them on if they turn out ok. or ill get better ones from Callies.
                    Im also gluing on some bombs from a FMS Henschel 123 that I never used them on. If anyone knows what color our bombs were it would help. My photos I have are all black and white.

Even my wife saw it this morning and said that it looks sinister now!

Comment

I like the Dynam Catalina. PROBLEM, no landing gear. I might get one some day if there still around, a bigger one would be ok, but the present size isn't an issue for me. I would like a, "Grumman Albatross" more, but to each there own.

Love to see a pic mate. Sounds pretty cool to be honest.

Woody

Comment

Originally posted by Woodcock View Post
                        I like the Dynam Catalina. PROBLEM, no landing gear. I might get one some day if there still around, a bigger one would be ok, but the present size isn't an issue for me. I would like a, "Grumman Albatross" more, but to each there own.

Love to see a pic mate. Sounds pretty cool to be honest.

Woody
                        I agree Woody would love a 17-1800 Grumman goose.

also have the Dynam Catalina with retractable wing tip floats and done in a blackcat scheme,just too small,A large scale would be great.

Comment

A Goose would be awesome! Especially if released alongside a larger PBY with retracts!

Comment

Here is my Black Cat. Still need to fit the bombs, a torpedo and 4 50’s in the nose.
                            but its turning out pretty cool. I am making it one from VPB71

Comment

Originally posted by ScottMe262 View Post
                              Here is my Black Cat. Still need to fit the bombs, a torpedo and 4 50’s in the nose.
                              That's cool Scott, I did the same thing a while back...I'm still hoping for a 2m Cat with landing gear.

TiredIronGRB's Black Cat
                              TiredIron Aviation
                              Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I'd be in for a FLRC Catalina.

Comment

Yes please

Comment

Looks really nice mate.

Woody

Comment

Nicely done ScottMe262

I'm happy to see this topic still has some interest. Maybe if we keep it up long enough MRC will deliver. Yes a FLRC version would really be a step up from the Dynam. Here it is summer and our water flying options are limited. How many planes on floats can you really use? A new twin engine flying boat would do the trick.

Cheers, Bluebird

Comment

Agreed, something bigger than the Dynam one would be great. Although this one will just fit in my SUV now.

I am in the final stages of my Dynam "Black Cat" conversion. Its all painted up black and I am making my VPF71 cat logos today and hope to put them on if they turn out ok. or ill get better ones from Callies.
                                        Im also gluing on some bombs from a FMS Henschel 123 that I never used them on. If anyone knows what color our bombs were it would help. My photos I have are all black and white.

Even my wife saw it this morning and said that it looks sinister now!
                                        All the general purpose bombs were olive drab. I think torpedoes were grey.

I thought about doing a Black Cat scheme with mine, but worried about the paint getting too hot or it would be hard to orientate in the sky. I went with a faded tri-color scheme with some custom nose art from Callie. I named the PBY after my black cat that passed away due to cancer. After seeing SNAFU Snatcher a few weeks ago, I am thinking of going with "fresh out of the factory" scheme. A big Catalina would be nice, but I am already running into problems with transporting planes. The Dynam PBY just fits in my car. I do think the market would react well to a larger and higher quality PBY. The Dynam one always had a good following.

Comment

Working...
                                        X