X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BRGT350 View Post
    The Dynam one always had a good following.
    I taught myself how to fly on one of these, I still have it and it still flys...it's just not very pretty:Straight-Face:

TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

I taught myself how to fly on one of these, I still have it and it still flys...it's just not very pretty:Straight-Face:
      I bought mine early in my career thinking a slow flying boat with a fat wing would be easy. I decided to wait and I am glad I did! It was more squirrely that I would have thought! Much respect that you learned on one of those!

Comment

I bought mine early in my career thinking a slow flying boat with a fat wing would be easy. I decided to wait and I am glad I did! It was more squirrely that I would have thought! Much respect that you learned on one of those!
        I didn't even know any difference.
        TiredIron Aviation
        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I know with the added weight of retractable tip floats and custom paint and ordanance mine is a tip stalling wing dropping fool!
          but it is fun and a great looking plane.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180412_210726.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	137822 Here is mine

Comment

^YES, you have a work of art there!

Comment

I have the Dyynam cat. It flies pretty decently. However today after several very nice flights at the lake, the motor mount failed and some water got in the esc and let the magic smoke out. Easy repair, but the flaws in the Dynam really make me wish for a beautiful Flightline Catalina.

Comment

Much agreed!

Comment

Originally posted by Gilatrout View Post
                    I have the Dyynam cat. It flies pretty decently. However today after several very nice flights at the lake, the motor mount failed and some water got in the esc and let the magic smoke out. Easy repair, but the flaws in the Dynam really make me wish for a beautiful Flightline Catalina.
                    Yeah, the quality of the PBY isn't the best. Mine has never flown off the water after seeing so many failures and problems with trying to deal with the water spray getting into the electronics. Mine flies off of the grass instead. Funny to have a flying boat that never sees the water.

This is as much water as it ever sees:
                    Dynam PBY-5A Catalina by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr
                    Since this picture was taken, the nose art has been added, a .50cal in the nose turret (should be a smaller .30cal instead), counter-rotating props, landing lights, Robart wheels and tires, and counter-rotating props installed. I have a good size pond behind my house that I use for float-plane operation, but the PBY is just too big to safely fly it around behind the house. Trees and neighbors make it hard to fly off the pond with anything bigger than the UMX Timber and J3.

A slightly larger PBY with removable outer wings, retractable floats, higher quality construction, and suitable design for water operation (water-proofing electronics) would be nice.

Comment

Yeah, the quality of the PBY isn't the best. Mine has never flown off the water after seeing so many failures and problems with trying to deal with the water spray getting into the electronics. Mine flies off of the grass instead. Funny to have a flying boat that never sees the water.

Since this picture was taken, the nose art has been added, a .50cal in the nose turret (should be a smaller .30cal instead), counter-rotating props, landing lights, Robart wheels and tires, and counter-rotating props installed. I have a good size pond behind my house that I use for float-plane operation, but the PBY is just too big to safely fly it around behind the house. Trees and neighbors make it hard to fly off the pond with anything bigger than the UMX Timber and J3.

A slightly larger PBY with removable outer wings, retractable floats, higher quality construction, and suitable design for water operation (water-proofing electronics) would be nice.
                      Love the pict.

Woody

Comment

Get you some Corrosion X and spray the escs and aileron servo internals with it. I use it with great effectiveness. Even saved the esc in my seawind once that I didnt spray before hand.

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                          ^YES, you have a work of art there!
                          Thank you sir.

Comment

Here's a video.

Comment

HK used to sell a larger balsa Catalina, but it went the way of the Dodo. A big foam Cat with improvements, would be the bomb. I remove the heat shrink from my ESC's and coat them with "Silicone Conformal Coating" which allows the Cat to go "Submarine" if she ends up that way. You have to treat her right, or she can be a handful...

Comment

I have owned a Dynam Catalina I did enjoyed it but found that it swamped to easily.
                                I would prefer a Grumman Albatross or Grumman Mallard. But a Martin Mars would be cool also!.
                                Something with a taller fuselage.

Comment

Working...
                                X