X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice, how to repair broken rudder

I was wondering what would be the best way to repair a broken foam rudder. This is a dynam FW 190. Just about all of the rudder has come apart and was wondering what would be the best advice to try and repair instead of replacement. Hinge tape and foam tac?
    Still Learning:D

These CA hinges and some Foam-Tac work great.
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I always cut the hinge free and clean up the edges on the fixed and moving surfaces, then re-hinge with standard CA hinges.

Eventually the bending foam will fail and you have to re-hinge ALL of the EPO models (that don't already have hinges inserted into the foam)
      the thicker the hinge foam at the bend line, the faster it fails from moving the hinge in flight.
      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

I use E-6000 glue on my hinges right from the start. It works great. It doesn't have to be applied the full length of the hinge, just in 1" intervals. Lightly and both sides. Doc

Comment

Hey thanks guys! I'm gonna order some. Luckly, it broke on approach landing when adding rudder due to a crosswind. I guess one of the things that sucks the most is I'm expecting a delivery today from MRC with some parts.

Comment

I never rely on the thin foam hinges - seen more than one come apart in the air. Also, some are so thick they load the servos excessively, and some paper thin. I don't like CA hinges either; I can't tell if the glue really soaked into the joint. I use the DuBro captive-pinned hinges, the narrow ones on small surfaces, wider on large surfaces, or those that may see higher loads. Drilling a 1/16" hole through the foam and hinge, then gluing the tip of a round toothpick into that hole makes sure that the surface stays attached, even if the primary glue fails. I guess that would work with CA hinges, too, but never tried.

Comment

I use foam-tac to hold together then use blenderm tape on both sides for strength, paint as needed. R.
              AMA 424553

Comment

I did notice the other day it was weak and did add some hinge tape, but what's funny is it came apart where there was no tape.

Comment

Give it a good pull to make sure it does not go anywhere

Comment

Yup...The pin hinges are definitely the best way to go. Be sure to put the TINIEST bit of 3 n' one oil in the hinge to keep any glue overflow from binding it. Doc

Comment

Originally posted by doctormike View Post
                      Yup...The pin hinges are definitely the best way to go. Be sure to put the TINIEST bit of 3 n' one oil in the hinge to keep any glue overflow from binding it. Doc
                      A small application of silicon grease, on both sides, works, too; I use the smallest tube it comes in, and the tip makes a great applicator.

Comment

Vaseline works best for me to keep glues out. :Cool:
                        AMA 424553

Comment

Just glue it on solid with epoxy! No one needs a working rudder! Pfffffttt. :bluetongue
                          Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

I mean really...Who uses the rudder?LOL;)

Comment

The better pilots understand how to properly use the rudder and use it on a regular basis.
                              FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

I use my rudder on almost all my planes.

Comment

Good luck on t.o. with a tail dragger and no rudder to counter left torque.

Comment

Actually the old Parkzone P51bl came with no operational rudder or landing gear. We added landing gear and flew them from rolling takeoff and landing. You could steer it with the ailerons fairly well occasionally you would have to abort a takeoff but mostly were successful. We only flew from smooth hard surfaces. Granted it was much easier after adding the rudder and steerable tail wheel but it was doable.

Comment

I was kidding! Rudder use is very important, especially with aerobatics and landing. Any turn should be made with aileron/rudder coordination. Also, of course, up elevator to avoid the nose dropping. :Cool:Doc

Comment

Yeah Doc, I use rudder some rudder in mostly all my turns and playing around! I can't see not using it at all.

Comment

Working...
                                        X