X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Flat spray

Hey folks just wanted to pass along something I found over the weekend. Now some of you may have already heard of, or have been using this? And if so, please chime in and let me know what you think about it? I was going to pick up some testers dullcote because that’s what I’ve been using for years on my models that require that flat military finish. Well I stopped by our local farm and fleet store and found a can of Valspar Premium finish, micro mist spray in flat. Time will be the best judge, but my initial thoughts are it’s a great replacement for my dullcote. Dried extremely fast. And at 3 bucks for a large can, instead of the 5 bucks for the tiny can of testers, I’m hopeful it’s just as good?

Jim.

I've used the Krylon Colormaster Clear Flat Spray with great success. ;)
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Testors Dullcote works great, and I still have several cans left to go through. But once those are gone I'm going with Rustoleum 2X Clear Matte as I've heard great things about it.
      Pat

Comment

I have used various flat clear sprays on my 1/18 scale military vehicles and Tamiya Flat Clear is the best hands down. Unfortunately it is not cheap.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0103.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	127920

Comment

It's only $400 per gallon! :Crying: I agree, Tamiya spray paint/clear is the best.

Comment

Pat, I've used that also, But when I used it, it was leaving a rough feeling surface? Which was on a monocote wing of a P6E so is almost feels like cloth. Which was fine, But I didn't want that on my 24. with the Valspar it was smooth as glass.

Jim.

Comment

I know everyone has their preference, recently I tried Minwax Spar Urethane matte with an airbrush (airbrushing will make any paint duller than using a brush to apply) with great results.

Name:	IMG_2082.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	127960
              Worth looking at as a quart of this is very reasonably priced (Amazon)

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                I know everyone has their preference, recently I tried Minwax Spar Urethane matte with an airbrush (airbrushing will make any paint duller than using a brush to apply) with great results.

Name:	IMG_2082.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	127960
                Worth looking at as a quart of this is very reasonably priced (Amazon)

Grossman56
                I was thinking of trying it in a detail gun - does it need thinning and what delivery pressure?

Comment

I watered it about one to five, pretty thin as it is.
                  I used the small compressor, which peaks out at 60 psi, but loses pressure quickly, so between 30 and 60 psi. Thin layers is the secret. I gave her three with 8 plus hours in between.
                  Great way to seal decals as well.

Grossman56
                  Team Gross!

Comment

Well,what is the best options?

Comment

Originally posted by LaurenKelly View Post
                      Well,what is the best options?
                      LK, Welcome to Hobby Squawk. I use either Hobby Lobby Treehouse Flat Acrylic Spray (EDF Jets mostly) or Krylon #1311 Clear Flat Enamel Spray (Warbirds mostly). The Treehouse is not as flat a finish as the Krylon. Both work well over OEM graphics and Callie Graphics materials and acrylics, enamels, and latex paint as long as these are cured completely. Hope I've helped and glad to have you onboard. Best, LB
                      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

It is better to invest in high-quality paint. I have used cheap paint many times and had to redo the job after some time. It's essential to do as much research as possible before buying. I personally used a few from here https://trimthatweed.com/best-spray-paint/. They are slightly more expensive than what you find in the local store, but it's worth it in the end. I am amazed how nowadays nobody cares about quality. What I amazed, even more, is how much low-quality stuff is in our stores. One thing I know for sure is that it's not worth saving money on paint.

Comment

Working...
                        X