X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coating your Foamy with Polycrylic

Time to ask the experts out there if anyone is using MinWax Satin Polycrylic to coat the foam prop planes and jets.

A friend of mine just repainted his F-14 Tomcat and applied Callie's Jolly Rogers graphics. He then hand brushed on the MinWax Satin Polycrylic and it not only looks great, he claims the finish creates a harder "shell" on the paint and protects the finish and paint from handling much better than without it. He suggested I try it. I was going to do it on both my B-24's, my Spitfire, one of my F-4's and the Corsair (all Flight Line planes), but then I got to thinking (very dangerous for me cause I never think first), how is the new finish going to react to the following:
    1) Will it cause any bleeding with enamel paint that I have already used on trim areas (I don't think it will react to the base coats or graphics cause his didn't) and what about any water slide decals?
    2) If I need to touch up the plane later from any mishaps (which is my specialty), can I paint over the polycrylic with enamel (my preferred paint for some trims) or the water based Bear touch up paints?
    3) How is coverage over plastic parts, such as the nose cone of the F-4, does it run easily and cause drip lines?
    4) Any other potential problems this might cause?

I also looked into PolyUrethane, but the Polycrylic seemed to offer a "tougher" coating. Any thoughts out there?
    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2320
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	182552Click image for larger version

Name:	0383F08B-93BE-4B4F-BA03-9B74BFD98B46.jpeg
Views:	2542
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	182551 I used Polycryllic on all of my planes and have done touch ups which covered nicely. Have not used the satin - I like shiny. I even will use it over the Warbird colors on the Ryan. No issues with any bleed, but go light over acrylics on the first coat. Here’s a shot after Polycryllic and yes, a brush applied.
    Since my pics don’t go where I want, you get to figure which is which.

Comment

I've been using polycrylic and fiberglass on the weak parts of my planes. It really strengthens the foam. Not sure if it would damage the paint scheme. I've laminated colours over top of it. I know it will run and leave drip lines. I usually catch it time and wipe it away. It'll sand out too.

Comment

Many of us use Minwax Polycrylic and also Varathane, it's good stuff! I recommend trying them and seeing which you prefer:

https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...??​​​​
        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input. I have to admit, that this is the most useful forum I have ever seen, at first I thought it was just a bunch of chat, but after seeing all the incredible knowledge that the squawkers are willing to share, I won't do anything without hearing from you guys first. This is definitely much go to resource.:Cool:
          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboom View Post
            I've been using polycrylic and fiberglass on the weak parts of my planes. It really strengthens the foam. Not sure if it would damage the paint scheme. I've laminated colours over top of it. I know it will run and leave drip lines. I usually catch it time and wipe it away. It'll sand out too.
            Most of an entire quart went on the Ryan. Fiberglass over the fuselage, all those plastic parts and even the servo door covers - all adhered with Minwax Polycryllic.

Wet sanding and foam brush, paint from Warbird Colors. I did spray 2 coats of base color and the thinned paint lays as flat as if sprayed. Never had any issue with Polycryllic, only good results.
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X