X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Prowler901 View Post
    I'm wondering if the compressor is designed to turn off when there is no airflow at the desired setting on the regulator. It says it has a piston, which is why I'm coming to that conclusion. Since there is no tank to store the air in, then it would have to turn off in order to prevent from bursting a line. Other compressors with no tanks have a diaphragm instead of a piston. This allows them to run continuously. So, I'm thinking that the compressor should turn on when you press down on the trigger of the airbrush, and release any pressure that is in the regulator.

But, you say that the compressor doesn't start when you press the trigger?
    That's right. I have to finagle the regulator AND the actual hose connection (loosen) to get it to start the compressor but no matter what I do nothing is coming out of the airbrush itself when I press the button down. Something is definitely wrong but I just don't know what I am missing?
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

I will attempt to make a short video walk-thru so you can see what I am doing and maybe that will jostle something?
      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Loosen the nozzle cap a quarter turn. EDIT. I just read more. If its not coming on its either froze becasue it to cold seized becasue its to hot or the pressure switch at the back of the cylinder head is bad. Those are the only three options. Oh I suppose power wingdings in the 110v could be a issue. When switched on it should pressurize the hose and shut off
        AMA 1102566

Comment

Okay I may need to bring the entire unit indoors to get warmed up for a while. I will do that today. Thanks for the info.
          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Also, you will get no paint flow until you pull back on the trigger.

Comment

I have tried everything and the way it is acting I may have a faulty airbrush. Nothing else seems to be wrong with it. I may have to return the unit for another one. Thanks for the help fellas!
              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Okay as is his default setting, Alpha saves the day! He was kind enough to give me a call on his break with his family to walk me through it. Turns out that little needle/pin at the connector point on the airbrush (where the hose connects) was stuck and not moving. Once I was able to get it to move up and down in conjunction with pressing the button down it worked! Now look out world! I am about to wreak serious novice-level airbrushing on some unsuspecting canvas in my garage!

MOOO HAHAHA!!

:P:Silly:LOL
                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Woohoo! Alpha saves the day! :Cool:

So glad you got it sorted, Aros. Now get busy! ;)

Comment

Keep a wet rag handy Todd, I've even dipped the tip in water to free it up, also, put the rag ove the end and pull the trigger slightly, this will back flush the gun, so be aware, it will bubble in the paint pot and overdoing it will be a mess. After using, pull it completely apart and clean it thoroughly, You'd be surprised at how much paint is left in the gun.

Grossman56
                    Team Gross!

Comment

Thanks for the tip (no pun intended) Grossman!
                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I wrote this article for our Knowledge Blog yesterday with the full knowledge I am no expert, in fact I am a mere novice, but with that in mind, I wanted to present a Tips and Tricks article for Airbrushing and Weathering 101 to folks like myself just starting out in the art, or curious about it. As I state in the article I would like to expand on it so I would love for any of you with tips and tricks of your own to please post them here so I can add them to the article for the benefit of any novice...This would include any corrections to any of my statements! Thank you in advance!

When it comes to weathering my warbirds I am admittedly and pathetically late to the party.  I have no real excuse especially since I love to paint nearly all of my models.  For me that can include a complete radical departure from the stock livery at times.  For instance, I've painted several Freewing 90mm F/A-18's th
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

This is an excellent series for the 'newby'

Comment

What a wealth of information for anyone interested in air brushing. I found numerous questions asked, and answered, relating to air brushing. I have a pancake compressor and will make a insulating box to help reduce the noise but my question, not only about the use of a pancake compressor, but of air pressure to operate air brush, has been answered as well. The mixing of different paints, preparation of surface, all seem to be answered for me. At least so far. Great discussion and thanks to all who offered opinions and asked the questions. You have all been a BIG help. Now to get busy making the sound insulating box. Hopefully it will reduce the noise sufficiently and if not, a quieter version of compressor will be necessary.

Comment

Forget the compressors- get compressed air tank from welding supply buy a set of gauges. The tank can be refilled for about $30 (exchange) the tank deposit is around $100, but you get it back when you return the tank. Mine lasted a year...enough to get art finished for several shows and several small projects as well.

Comment

I found a compressor last week just like this one at a flea market for $20 bucks. It works perfect.
                                Still Learning:D

Comment

Great find!!

Grossman56
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

Got my first airbrush finally! It's one of those $89 specials from Amazon. Works great. I have already used it to repaint part of my L-39 following a hard landing.
                                    I used those 50 cent craft paints from walmart thinned with windex and water. The brushes appear to be of high quality.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181022_094734.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	158206Click image for larger version

Name:	20181026_134544.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	158207Click image for larger version

Name:	20181026_134315.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	158208
                                    Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

I got a similar setup and have enjoyed it. I am planning to get a compressor with a tank on it though as the pressure drops considerably if you hold the trigger down. I have also gotten an in-line moisture trap that I mount right on the gun as enough spraying can lead to condensation getting to the nozzle. Not anymore!

Comment

Originally posted by seaviper View Post
                                        Got my first airbrush finally! It's one of those $89 specials from Amazon. Works great. I have already used it to repaint part of my L-39 following a hard landing.
                                        I used those 50 cent craft paints from walmart thinned with windex and water. The brushes appear to be of high quality.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181022_094734.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	158206Click image for larger version

Name:	20181026_134544.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	158207Click image for larger version

Name:	20181026_134315.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	158208
                                        Be careful with Windex. The ammonia can have adverse effects on your equipment over time.

Mike
                                        \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

I personally believe that the thinners, fingerprints, and even the paint itself are more corrosive than the ammonia. That being said, I do rinse the brush with water. I also run some mineral spirits through it as a final step.
                                          I have never had windex, or one of those clones of it, attack any tool. I have used it for years to clean up plated tools after paint or spackling. None have ever corroded.
                                          Now I don't know if the ammonia or the mineral spirits will harm the o-rings. But o-rings are relatively cheap and easy to replace. You kind of have to expect the o-rings to fail over time anyway.

Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

Working...
                                          X