X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim adhesion

It sounds like there's lots of heartburn over trim coming loose, especially on Flyzone. I found that going over the trim with my Monokote iron set to 150 to 200 degrees will activate the cement and solve the problem. Don't use too much heat or a heat gun. The trim will curl. The adhesion is such that the film can still be peeled off without heating, re-positioned and re applied woth heat. I just removed all the trim on a Sea Wind and transferred to a new fuselage (the $&"@#% reract servo failed).

I presume by "trim", you mean the decals? Just flew my Seawind this morning. When I first got the plane, right out of the box, I examined all the decals and where they looked like they could start to peel or were peeling, I just took a piece of Scotchtape and stuck it down. To date, nothing has peeled and I can't even see the tape. I'm very reluctant to apply any kind of heat to a foam plane. I never get the temp right and the last one I did, the foam all "gatored" up.

Comment

I always give a new plane two coats of Varathane w.b. clear coat. This looks great and locks the decals down. Doc

Comment

Originally posted by doctormike View Post
        I always give a new plane two coats of Varathane w.b. clear coat. This looks great and locks the decals down. Doc
        Taking this suggestion, I've purchase a small can of this product and will try it on my next plane, more to seal in the foam and make finger impressions less easy to make when picking it up. The sealing in of the decals would be an extra bonus.

Comment

I clear coat all my planes and now use Varathane per Doc's advise. Works great on keeping t h e decals down and protecting the foam.

Roy B.

Comment

Doc, Boomer what exactly is Varathane? I'm not familiar with that!
            Still Learning:D

Comment

Hey Pauly! Varathane is a product name just like Minwax. It's a water based clear polyurethane that comes in gloss and satin finishes and has a UV inhibitor that protects the foam from sun exposure. It can be applied with a foam brush very easily.

Roy B.

Comment

Varathane poly is MUCH better quality than Minwax. No steaking. No bubbleing, and is flexible. Home Depot sells it. Gloss, satin, or flat. Doc

Comment

On one note just to make sure of.......it is foam safe?

Comment

Yes Pauly it's foam safe. Doc and I and others here use it on our foamies.

Roy B.

Comment

Thank You, I'll have to try and find some.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                        Thank You, I'll have to try and find some.

I buy mine at Menards. I don't know if you have one in North Carolina, but try any of the big home improvement stores you should find it.

Roy B.

Comment

No, I know we don't have one close by, but I'm sure I can find it at a home improvement store. There is a Ace Hardware here in my home town that has a really large section on all different kinds of paints and coverings. He may have it. But I would like to put a covering on my planes. They are all white, but as you guys stated earlier it will protect it from harmful UV rays and help protect it all together.

Comment

Ace doesn't carry it in Santa Fe, just Home Depot. You can buy it on line. By the way, in some cases, I even use Varathane for glue. Doc

Comment

I'm going to check in to it and get some. Thanks guys

Comment

I also use it as a primer before I paint a plane. I am scratch building a plane out of foam board, which spray paint melts. Two coats of Varathane on the edges that are not covered with paper protects them from melting. Doc

Comment

Working...
                                X