First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

✏💉💊🚑🛌🛫 Way to get them back up Dr Dan. 😷
    Dewey l

Comment

Pandora One is repaired, here's the before and after pics, and in case I didn't post it, the Splintfire. This actually worked well as the battery compartment floor slid back into place and the rig all owed it to maintain some compression on the fuse as it dried.

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

Good job Dan.
        Dewey l

Comment

"Splintfire" Classic. :D

Great work, Dan! Looking forward to the post-flight reports.

Comment

Just waiting on the weather, windy today starting to look like Fall, I'm hoping we get a decent September, got a lot of flying to make up for before the season ends.

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

Well, got about two minutes of flying in today!!
              Left the house, winds calm, perfect morning to get Pandora One back in the air! Figured I'd start with her and hop over to Big Beautiful Doll afterwards. P-1 out, battery in her, flight check perfect, slight breeze, right across the the funway er runway, some throttle and off she goes, flying like her old self!!
              A few clicks of trim and I'm ready........and then the wind comes.........
              A sudden 180 degree shift of wind direction and the sock is straight out, 20, 25 mph??
              Don't know, but P-1 is hovering out there. Throttle off and nose down to lose some of this altitude I suddenly find myself in excess of. Get her down to within 5 feet of the runway and add a little power, 1/3 throttle maybe, to keep the nose ahead of the tail, ease her down into a pretty little landing and grab her while Diane is grabbing her Apprentice which has decided to fly on its own, sans wings believe it or not.
              A well, thats life in Windy Wyoming. The good news was that P-1 flew like her old self which was great news, Smitty the Spitty will be next after her nose surgery, hopefully tomorrow, if the wind behaves!!

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

Hey guys, back from Nefi or as we call it around here, cleaning out the basement !!
                As you probably heard, I lost the Bearcat and the P-40 to the gods of Nefi and the Nefi Triangle respectively.
                Upon inspection, the Bearcat wings were repairable but the P-40 was a write off, fortunately, motors escs retracts and servos were good. The hatch from the P-40 was good and was the first thing repaired and the tail feathers were good as well so that's something.
                On the Bearcat, the hatch was usable but I'll end up replacing it in the future. So just a new fuse for her and a BIG thanks to Beeg who graciously sent me a set of Blue Angels decals, Thanks Buddy!!
                She was a pretty straight forward rebuild, everything comes out of the old and into the new kind of thing. NO gyro, Charlie!
                The P-40 fuse was the same, btw, don't bother ordering a decal sheet. Even though the pic show a bare bones fuse, it comes with decals already installed. There are, however, no pushrods, just the tubes.
                So the fuse is done and I started on on wing last night. EVERTHING has to be pulled through a channel, so be prepared, it's not the old trough thing we're used to. The wing lights have their own separate tube running out to the wingtip so we're currently figuring a few scenarios on how to accomplish that. So far it looks pretty good, and so clean, the old one being 'aged' and beat up by my air brush!!
                Team Gross!

Comment

Pics of the 'cat and the Tiger, so far... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1020.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	84294Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1017.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	84296Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1021.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	84297Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1016.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	84298Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1019.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	84299Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1027.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	84300Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1023.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	84301Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1015.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	84302Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1022.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	84303 I readjusted the eye on the Tiger and got rid of the stock cat decals and replaced them with Callie decals. I was thinking of a different livery, but since everything was already on, I thought 'what the heck' and stuck with the Flying Tigers, flies better in that livery anyway.......

Grossman56 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1024.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	84295
                  Team Gross!

Comment

Looking good, Grossman! Curious, which markings were you originally contemplating?
                    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I was thinking of the Pearl Harbor scheme, but with the Tiger decals already installed and the fact that., well, I'd just miss the Ol' Tiger, I opted for the installed scheme.
                      I used the Ice Cube method of removing the old tiger insignias, actually, we have a bean bag that we keep in the freezer so I just laid that over her for a while and the decals pulled off relatively easy.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1027.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	84781

Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment

I also repositoned the eyes as I ordered a set of decals because they show a blank fuse on the spare parts page.
                        She looks sharp, now for the aging and 'beating' her up. Lookes so strange without any weathering on her.

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

Name:	IMG_9944.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	84969Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9949.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	84970Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9948.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	84971
                          As you can see, well weathered!!
                          Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

Mines getting to look like that...........I just don't wipe the bug smears and splats off.LOL An ol' habit from the HD days;)
                            Warbird Charlie
                            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Lookin' good, G-man! :Cool:

Comment

You'll notice I corrected the eye positioning and swapped out the original cats for Callie's, much more authentic. I'm going to try Steve's idea of watered down acrylic and a rag to weather as well as my spray painting tricks, I'll take some pictures as I go. I was a bit disappointed in the quality of the wing halves, there's a chunk missing near the rear where they join and mate to the wing fillet, so some putty work to do there. CB, yours goes so fast, it's probably the paint peeling off!!
                                My rule of thumb was to get out the silver paint and paint over any chips with that, she just got older and older.
                                By the way, the cats peeled some of the paint off, I had a paint match done to the E Flite Spitty and its an exact match for the P-40, which makes sense as the real P-40s were heading for the RAF so the more than likely were using the same paint numbers. Touched up the green, mixed in some red and white to the left over green to create the brown.

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

The Bearcat seems ready to go, so weather permitting, I'll get her airborne tomorrow Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1015.JPG
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	85231Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1016.JPG
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	85232Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1017.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	85233Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1019.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	85234Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1020.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	85235Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1021.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	85236Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1022.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	85237Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1023.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	85238Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1124.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	85239 So I'm debating on whether to respray the left wing to get a solid color on it, or streak the other one, both appeal, opinions??

Grossman56
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

And I started aging the P-40, using a mixture of nutmeg brown and black with a lot of water, still some work to do, I started 'chipping' the paint by brushing some silver in appropriate spots, still have a way to go with that as well. I'm also addressing the sloppiness in the retracts. They'll to in and toe out very easily, I'll take a look inside the retract mechanism and see if I can't tighten the trunions Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1110.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	85242Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1111.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	85243Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1112.JPG
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	85244
                                    My only complaint is this dent on the underside by the wing fairing... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1113.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	85245Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1114.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	85246 hope you can see the weathering here Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1115.JPG
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	85247Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1116.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	85248Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1117.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	85249Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1118.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	85250 you can also get rid of the shiny spinner this way. The whole airplane dulls down quite a bit. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1119.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	85251Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1120.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	85252Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1121.JPG
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	85253Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1125.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	85254

Name:	IMG_1127.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	85255
                                    So here's the girls together Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1123.JPG
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	85256Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1126.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	85257Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1130.JPG
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	85258
                                    Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                      The Bearcat seems ready to go, so weather permitting, I'll get her airborne tomorrow
                                      So I'm debating on whether to respray the left wing to get a solid color on it, or streak the other one, both appeal, opinions??

Grossman56
                                      Blue Angel's Bearcats were show planes. Probably were'nt weathered but always polished and looking pretty.

......nice decals by the way! :)

Comment

Yes, thanks to you Beeg, much appreciated buddy

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                        X