Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foam dent removal

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foam dent removal

I have some dents in my Timber wing from my first couple of landings. Does someone have any tricks on how to bring foam back to original shape?
    RVGARY

A washcloth soaked with hot water will sometimes bring it out.
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I've tried everything you can find on the internet, with little luck. The worst of the dents, I just fill, sand and re-paint. Doc

Comment

Yep, Foam-Tac, easy to work with and does the job

Grossman56
        Team Gross!

Comment

I have a few foam planes that got dents from transport. Get a paper towel fold so there are 4 layers, wet the paper towel so it barely drips,take a monokote iron set the temp 100-150 lay wet towel on dent area go over the area quickly with your iron look at area then keep going with iron in short wipes over the area looking at dent after each time til the dent is out..

Comment

Got to try that. Doc

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions, will try every one. I have many dents in several airplanes.
              RVGARY

Comment

Welcome to the club!

LOL

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by TomC View Post
                  I have a few foam planes that got dents from transport. Get a paper towel fold so there are 4 layers, wet the paper towel so it barely drips,take a monokote iron set the temp 100-150 lay wet towel on dent area go over the area quickly with your iron look at area then keep going with iron in short wipes over the area looking at dent after each time til the dent is out..
                  This is how I do my repairs if I can get them in a pot of boiling water. :)

AMA 424553

Comment

Just be careful with the Hot Water, I will heat some up in a Tea Kettle and then slowly pour it over the dents and watch them slowly pop back out. Just take your time cause if you get in a hurry and over do it you could Alligator the foam. Filling them and doing some touch up painting works great also but an easier method is you can lay a narrow strip of Trim Kote over the Leading Edges once you fill in the dents. https://www.motionrc.com/collections/trim-sheets Choose a color that helps the front edge pop out at you as this can also aid in orientation.

Comment

I need to add to my post above, USE FAUCET COLD WATER ONLY WHEN WETTING DOWN THE PAPER TOWEL.... I feel using faucet cold water on the paper towel and heat Iron on low temp this slows down the foam expanding process, the Alligator look is hardly seen to none at all..This method works Great for me...:)

Comment

Originally posted by doctormike View Post
                        I've tried everything you can find on the internet, with little luck. The worst of the dents, I just fill, sand and re-paint. Doc
                        I enjoy reading your great advice on everything foam... One more question; what do you use as a filler???
                        RVGARY

Comment

I use Elmers wood filler, white. It dries quickly, is light, easily sanded, and stays put. MRC sells a filler that gets good reviews, also. Doc

Comment

Originally posted by doctormike View Post
                            I use Elmers wood filler, white. It dries quickly, is light, easily sanded, and stays put. MRC sells a filler that gets good reviews, also. Doc
                            Thanks Doc, will give it a try...
                            RVGARY

Comment

Beacon Foam Filler - 8oz This stuff is fantastic for filling in minor surface imperfections, all the way up to major chasms. It adds virtually no weight, dries hard and quickly, and sands super easy.

Comment

At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.

Comment

Hobby Lobby sells a product made for filling foam. Very light, sandable and easy to use.

Comment

Originally posted by MCO3024 View Post
                                    Hobby Lobby sells a product made for filling foam. Very light, sandable and easy to use.
                                    MC, I know how the Beacon product that MRC sells works. I would suggest using that. Use the filler, sand it then apply some foam finish, sand then some hobby coat and it'll look 10 times better then before the dent.
                                    Still Learning:D

Comment

Will the hot water method for removing small dents hurt the paint ?

Comment

Sometimes when using the hot water treatment, you'll get the gatoring or beading of the foam. One trick I learned to get rid of the dreaded gatoring is to take a pre-cooled big soup spoon and as soon as the gatoring appears, rub the affected area with the back of the cold spoon. Works great. You can watch the gatoring go away right before your eyes.
                                        Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                                        Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                                        I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

Working...
                                        X