X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulse 15e and a 4S battery

i just picked up an Horizon Pulse 15e and have a 4s 2250mAmp battery. The instructions suggest a 3S 3200. Are there any issues using the higher voltage battery? The motor is a B15 BL Outrunner, 880kV (EFLM4015B). The ESC is a 40amp. Bear with me a little here. Still new to the electronics....

Yes, that would be too much amp pull.
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Fair enough. Should I look at increasing the size of the ESC?

Comment

That could risk the motor. Before you start, you should get a Watt meter, so you can evaluate power system changes. If the current is too high for the motor, then you can always use a smaller prop. But, since E-flite doesn't seem to want you to know, you can estimate the power by measuring the weight, in grams, and multiplying by 3 or 3.5 to get approximate Watts. I expect that result to be about 400-450W, or less than 40A on 3S (Watts divided by ~12V). Use that number with your Watt meter to choose the prop.

I see a couple sites give 5.8 ounces (164g) as the shipping weight, so motor weight is probably about 5 ounces, or 140G. So, about 420-490W. Try to stay below 490W. On 4S, that would be about 30A, so you will likely have better luck changing the prop, first.

Comment

Several options - Increase ESC size (maybe 60A) or prop down (maybe 12X6) or get a lower KV motor of the same physical size or decrease throttle travel to 75% to 80% or just get the proper 3s battery.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper2 View Post
            ... decrease throttle travel to 75% to 80% or just get the proper 3s battery.
            This does not decrease peak current through the ESC; in fact, it will run hotter than at WOT.

Comment

dont do it , i tryed , motor hot, as well as the esc melting the foam an i used a 2200 4s from motion RC but instead purchase a pulse 25E,,, blown away Click image for larger version

Name:	Pulses.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	110506

Comment

Working...
              X