Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!?!?! Foam Hinge Repair!!

Greetings Gang,

I recently had the misfortune (while gingerly attempting to step around some of my planes) of snagging the rudder on my FMS 1400mm Corsair and tearing it off along the foam hinge!! Drat!!

I have researched a few methods of repair on the net from hinge tape, to JB Weld, to CA.

I would sure be interested in listening to the voices of experience as to how some of you may have effectively executed this kind of or similar repair.

Hey, Cap's.... Sounds like a great How-To video idea!!!????

Thanks in advance,

Bill in Okla.

Re: Help!?!?! Foam Hinge Repair!!

Since it is completely torn, I would suggest a trip to your hobby shop for some DuBro pinned hinges and an Xacto knife, and some glue to hold them. You can also try hinge tape, AKA BlendDerm, which depends on the tape sticking well to the surfaces. If it were merely starting to crack (as most will), some paint them with rubberized glue that dries clear. I've use the clear-drying glue in advance of the cracks appearing, which has worked well on my Pandora flap hinges, so far.

Comment

Greetings WintrSol,

Thanks for the info.
      Yeah, my rudder is torn from bottom to top.

I'm currently leaning toward hinge pins for stability and longevity.

Clear Skies,

Bill L.
      in Okla.

Comment

I really like the small version for small foam aircraft: http://shop.dubro.com/c/aircraft_hinges
        Getting them aligned is very important. I use a gauge to get them centered properly, lengh-wise, and press them home with a straight piece of aluminum stock, so the hinge parts are lined up well. Just use a water-based glue, so you can rinse it out of the hinge pins, or apply some light oil or thin grease, so the glue doesn't enter. Once the glue is dried well on one part, then apply glue and press the hinges into the other part.

Comment

Greetings WintrSol,

Thanks for the link and the tips and the advise.
          I'm looking forward to getting this baby back in the air.

Clear Skies,

Bill L.
          in Okla.

Comment

yep they do tear easily. mine did on a flip (my bad). I have the 1270 corsair. I cleaned the tear up, made a slice to match the two parts, and slid some mylar (sanded both sides first, then foam glued them.) into the slots. works outstanding, and super strong.

Comment

Greetings,

Thank you for the tip...

Would you by any chance have a shot of the final result?

Clear Skies

Bill L.
              in Okla.

Comment

I have repaired mine using Welders Contact Cement. Here are two how to links: http://youtu.be/CLfRWJ_pgGA
                http://youtu.be/UmyqdMbVf0k

Comment

Greetings,

Thanks for the assist.
                  I will check out the links provided.

Clear Skies

Bill L.
                  in Okla.

Comment

Greetings Libsam,

Well, after spending time viewing the links you provided, I'm happy to report that the 1400mm Corsair is back on the flight line!!! The torn rudder repair seems to be solid and hopefully able to withstand Oklahoma winds!!

Again, thanks for the links.... You're a great example of why I really like this hobby. It's all about community.

Clear Skies

Bill L.
                    in Okla.

Comment

Bill,
                      You are certainly welcome. Glad I could help. I've used those repair methods a number of times myself.
                      Rande

Comment

RE: Help!?!?! Foam Hinge Repair!!

If your not in a hurry, try Liquid Nails home improvement glue. It works great on foam, remains flexible, cleans up with water, and is paintable. It's perfect for gluing in pin hinges. The Doctor

Comment

Greetings Doc,

Thanks for the input.

Bill L.
                          in Okla.

Comment

I have found that simple CA hinges work great. They are very easy to install and do not require the precision of some other types of hinges. Simply make slots along the center line of each surface where you want them. Slide them into one side and use CA (thin foam safe depending on the foam) to glue them. Use an applicator tip and do not use any kicker so that the CA soaks into the hinge and gets down into the slot. When that side is dry line up on the other slots. If the slots are off a bit just extend them a little in the direction needed until all is lined up. Use your applicator to get the CA down into the slot and soak into the hinge. Hold everything steady for a few seconds. When dry, just bend the hinge slowly to loosen up. I have done this on several foamies including my big Carbon Z. I realize everyone has their preferences, but this works well for me with absolutely no failures to this point.

Comment

Originally posted by libsam
                              I have repaired mine using Welders Contact Cement.  Here are two how to links:  http://youtu.be/CLfRWJ_pgGA
                              http://youtu.be/UmyqdMbVf0k
                              I'll second libsam's recommendation here. I used the Welder's contact cement on some of the hinges to my Dynam T-28 and it worked great. Completely clear, flexible, you really can't tell the hinges have been repaired. I found the technique from rcinformer. There is a video on repairing foam hinges and he describes exactly how to do it.

Comment

Yeah works great  . Stays flexible and holds up . Plus you add more if needed . CA gets hard n stiff 
                                But Crashing is Landing

Comment

I second that Hippie....Used Welders, worked great, better than new.
                                  Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                                  Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Greetings Guys,

Indeed.

In the end it was Welder's and it worked great.
                                    Thank you for all of your input.

I did manage to find a really excellent video by Rich Baker (RC Informer) and he masterfully walks through the process step-by-step.

The Corsair has already flown since the repair.

Clear Skies

Bill L.
                                    in Okla.

Comment

I got some of the hinge tape but haven't tried using yet . Anybody else ever tried it ?
                                      But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie 64, Mine is still hanging unopened on the peg board....
                                        I got some of the hinge tape but haven't tried using yet . Anybody else ever tried it ?
                                        Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                                        Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Working...
                                        X