You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should we put Inrunners in all 90mm jets?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom View Post

Yes, all current (existing) and future 90mm jets. We can get better inrunner pricing if we purchase in volume. That brings the inrunner cost down but we have to dump the outrunner to do it at a reasonable price.
    It is nice having a choice but inrunners are superior in all aspects as far as I am concerned...
    Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
    I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

Originally posted by Ks.jetflyer View Post
      I would like to leave it as is, an option. Inrunners add cost as well as weight. I fly off a 300 ft. paved runway, so weight is a factor in landing speed. The current offering of outrnners give respectable speed imo. I also have to deal with a limited hobby budget.
      Yea, but with inrunners being more efficient as in better flight times the additional weight is offset by being able to run a smaller lighter battery.
      But Tom also stated that The inrunner setup they were testing would be the same weight as the current outrunner setup. So there would not be a weight penalty. You would actually be a able to lighten the load with a smaller lighter battery for the same flight time.
      So it would be better to just go with inrunners for everything because the additional cost would actually pay for its self because less batteries would be needed to fly for a certain period than before.

Comment

I quite honestly can't think of a good reason to even bother with outrunners anymore for EDF jets... :Confused:
        My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Originally posted by Evoman View Post

Yea, but with inrunners being more efficient as in better flight times the additional weight is offset by being able to run a smaller lighter battery.
          But Tom also stated that The inrunner setup they were testing would be the same weight as the current outrunner setup. So there would be not weight penalty. You would actually be a able to lighten the load with a smaller lighter battery for the same flight time.
          So it would be better to just go with inrunners for everything because the additional cost would actually pay for its self because less batteries would be needed to fly for a certain period than before.
          I must admit I don't have any inrunners in my edf or prop planes. What I've read about people upgrading to inrunners is mostly for performance increase with the need for a higher amp esc. From my experience, more amp draw equals shorter flight times from same batt. My old eyes and fingers don't work as good as they used to so I have no need for a rocket ship. I am more than happy with the performance from my stock fw F-4 and 90mm F-16. I also understand that I am in the minority and that's ok. You must do what sells the most product.

Comment

Good points Ks.jetflyer...I think it's also a matter of efficiency as the inrunners are much more efficient motors and are ideal for these jets. One thing to consider - and please do not take this as a smart alec response as that is not my intent - is to use your throttle stick to manage your speed. I know folks who have even changed their throttle end points so their 100% power is actually 80% or so on. Just food for thought.
            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Absolutely, inrunner w/ 12 blade fan all day long. Its a great combination of efficiency, power & sound.

I’d gladly pay 20-30$ more for it ... better than the hassle of replacing outrunners with 180$ (minimum) i runner units ... do the right thing guys... it makes FULL sense to go inrunner on 90mm jets.

Comment

and now that i’m thinking about it can you please also BRING back lights (nav, landing, exhaust) on 90mm jets ... if its was possible w/ older 90mm jets like f16 then i’m hoping it wont break the bank on the new ones.
                Instead of 20-30$ increase for inrunners only make it a 30-40$ but with lights.. plzzz!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Luqman Khan View Post
                  and now that i’m thinking about it can you please also BRING back lights (nav, landing, exhaust) on 90mm jets ... if its was possible w/ older 90mm jets like f16 then i’m hoping it wont break the bank on the new ones.
                  Instead of 20-30$ increase for inrunners only make it a 30-40$ but with lights.. plzzz!!!
                  Or at least make them ready for light installation by molding in the channels to run the cables. One of the few things Dynam does right on most of their models is that they are molded from the start to have lights. So even though they used to come with cheap lights that were not connected, it still made it far easier and cleaner to install nav lights because they were already prewired complete with molded light covers. So I would just swap out the wiring and the lights with a better system.

Comment

Originally posted by Luqman Khan View Post
                    Absolutely, inrunner w/ 12 blade fan all day long. Its a great combination of efficiency, power & sound.

I’d gladly pay 20-30$ more for it ... better than the hassle of replacing outrunners with 180$ (minimum) i runner units ... do the right thing guys... it makes FULL sense to go inrunner on 90mm jets.
                    I'd vote for inrunners in all 70mm and up fans... FMS already has them in their smaller fans too. This is why I can fly my EFlite (FMS) 70mm Viper for 6:30 with a 6s 3,300 mAh pack.

Comment

Some other considerations:

Inrunners are heavier.

Inrunners motors are difficult, if not impossible, to balance. Outrunners can be balanced (counterweighted) since the rotor is on the outside. This is separate from balancing the fan blades.

The "afterburner" LED units that seem all the rage these days cannot be mounted on outrunners.

Comment

Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post
                        Some other considerations:

Inrunners are heavier.

Inrunners motors are difficult, if not impossible, to balance. Outrunners can be balanced (counterweighted) since the rotor is on the outside. This is separate from balancing the fan blades.

The "afterburner" LED units that seem all the rage these days cannot be mounted on outrunners.
                        Tom has stated earlier that the particular inrunners they are looking at are no heavier than the outrunners.

Comment

Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                          Tom has stated earlier that the particular inrunners they are looking at are no heavier than the outrunners.
                          Beat me to it.

I am sure these particular inrunners will be shipped completely balanced, and as for the Centerburner, I am quite sure there will be a fix for that.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I guess I really don't know how I feel about inrunners in the new jets...I want them yes but cost is slightly up and I live in one of the states that makes the shippers collect state income tax on all internet products so I get it coming and going...but yes give me the power lol

Comment

IN runners can be balanced and typically come better balanced than out runners. Out runners have more mass away from the center of rotation making it more critical. The 90mm out runners that Freewing currently use have fan shrouds that have a rear cone on them so you can do the fan mounted AB lights on them too.

Typically the in runner is heavier, but the in runner is also typically more powerful, even though Tom says the ones they are looking at are similar in weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron1950 View Post
                                I guess I really don't know how I feel about inrunners in the new jets...I want them yes but cost is slightly up and I live in one of the states that makes the shippers collect state income tax on all internet products so I get it coming and going...but yes give me the power lol
                                Income tax ! I guess just don't make any money flying with your jet and you should be all set !! :-)

Comment

bad wording lol its sales tax..thought it sounded funny when I read over it thanks … seems I cant change the wording in origenal post as there is no edit now

Comment

Any update on this? Any decision?

Comment

I believe the Powers That Be are still mulling it over but I would think it's headed in the right direction.
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Aren't the in-runners brushed motors? For the same size you might get higher KV but lower torque. So you end up with a heavier brushed motor doing the work of a similar, lighter, out-runner.
                                        Granted, it will do that work at higher KV. But I don't see the reason to go heavier and a little faster.

At our club, we jet guys have to blast our way out of a hay field. I will always trade heavier/faster for lighter/more static thrust. Plus the current 1650KV motor in the T-45 pushes that airframe to it's limit.
                                        I cannot understand why you would want more speed and more weight in something like that.

So my personal opinion, which pretty much goes against the grain, is it's not worth the extra cost and loss of static thrust. At least not to me. So I hope Motion continues to offer an out-runner option.
                                        Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

No, the inrunner we are talking about are brushless

Comment

Working...
                                          X