X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dahawk View Post
    I would like a F4J that gets more than 3 minutes Flying time. Need the next jump in batts. What an engineering opportunity for somebody.
    You can fly longer now.... just go slower :p

FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by fhhuber View Post

You can fly longer now.... just go slower :p
      Exactly. I can get 5 min + on my A-10 with some throttle management, and about 4 min on the F-4 and F-86. I don’t consider that too bad considering my prop planes generally get 5-6 min.

Comment

• Generally a 70 mm EDF needs 150% of the watts to get the same performance as a conventional 2 blade prop (just put it in the nose and stick on a spinner)

That means you have the heavier EDF installation with a bigger heavier motor and you need 150% the battery weight to get the same flight time... and then with all that added weigh, you might not get off the ground.

So we sacrifice on battery capacity. (and still end up heavier and slower than we would get with a conventional prop at the same watts)

But the appearance and sound make up for it. and the type models we put EDFs in tend to be fast by design.
        There's some economy of scale letting bigger EDFs be a bit less inefficient compared to the conventional prop also.
        FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• I sure would like to see an 80 mm Panther and a B-26 Invader in the silver Korea paint same size as the tiger cat.

Comment

• Maybe my numbers are a bit biased then. I only run 2 blades on my Cub. Everything else runs scale diameter (or close) 3-5 blade props. For those, flight time heavily depends on flying style as well. Hammering full throttle on my FMS P-47 probably would be a 3-4 minute flight. Flying it scale with mixed throttle and a few high speed passes had given me flight times up to 10 minutes.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	DF133D2D-5D6E-4F7D-A4CB-FE296FCC115E.jpeg
Views:	432
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	132011
              ---
              Warbirder

Comment

• Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post
                Click image for larger version  Name:	DF133D2D-5D6E-4F7D-A4CB-FE296FCC115E.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	106.6 KB ID:	132011
                YES
                Warbird Charlie
                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx
                  This is why I hate edfs
                  You would hate me then!! I get almost 10 mins flight time with my FMS Hawk.... LOL LOL LOL on a 6s 30c 4000mah pack no less!! And then with my 70mm F/A-18 I can get up to 6 mins with that one... and with my 70mm Avanti I am getting the same 6 min flight times and using the same pack... Its all in the way you fly and the way that the system is set up. Now with warbirds my FMS 1450mm warbird is amazing!! almost 15 mins flight time on my 4s 30c 6200mah pack and when I go to 5s 30c 4500 I still get 10 mins but with better climb and speed! Lots can be done when you move the throttle stick more than just on and off...
                  Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                  I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• I admit I put the pedal to the metal. lol
                    Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                    Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                    I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• Originally posted by dahawk View Post
                      I admit I put the pedal to the metal. lol
                      yeah its fun to do that too! But I am loving touch n goes as well as laid back formation flying.
                      Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                      I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

I've never seen an edf that would fly well below half throttle, they would just fall like rocks. Since then I lost all interest in those things
                        You have never seen the twin 80 A-10. Happily flies at 1/3 throttle :Cool:.

Comment

That's pretty much why that is the only one I'm considering to try since the last I've flown one was in 2009
                          Dude, those weren't even in the same universe as these newer models!! Power, handling qualities, landing gear, and surface finish have exponentially improved since then.

Comment

• With twin 6S 6250mah 35 RT's I can get 5 min with the A-10 which of all of my edf's offers the longest flight times. DD is 100% correct about the A-10's wide speed range. With throttle management( hard for me to do) I get about 4 min on the BAE Hawk T1 with an Admiral 5000. The A-4 is around 3 min.maybe 3.5 min on a good day. But that's just me.
                            Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39

Comment

• Rifleman, you should try a Freewing 80mm F-86. It's a fantastic EDF and has a great glide slope and flies very well at low speed. A buddy of mine just got a Flex Innovation Flexjet and it's crazy the things that he can do with it and how much flight time he's getting.
                              ---
                              Warbirder

Comment

• I am seriously considering picking up one of those Flexjets...They look like a ton of fun with a crazy gigantic flight envelope.
                                My YouTube RC videos:
                                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• I think the next plane is the MiG15. Here is why. It was the foil to the F-86 Sabre. It is the product of a failed empire: the USSR. They were in a natural metal finish like Aluminum foil is (in Korea). The only way I can think the Summer Breeze thing figures into it is that the First MiG flown by Western pilots had faulty climate control and the A/C did not work.

That is my best guess.

Comment

Then I must ask where the cloud atlas fit into your equation? That was his last clue on foil.
                                    That is where the whole "Best Guess" part comes into play.

Comment

Indeed. A large mig 15 would complement the f86 for sure though.
                                      Also it spawned the Mig 17 and MiG 19. That is where I think "Cloud Atlas" comes into it.

Of course: I am likely to be completely off base.
                                      Last edited by DR. Joy; May 10, 2018, 06:22 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• I was leaning towards Super Sabre. A Sabre being a foil.

Comment

• https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_Atlas_(novel)
                                          Might be something here......

Grossman56
                                          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                          X