Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restoration of a 40 year old mystere 3000 canard

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoration of a 40 year old mystere 3000 canard

I was given this aircraft by one of our 90 year old Club members, He said he would love to see it in the air again and would I restore it. He also wants it in Japan colors. Whelp Here I go. I found a set of plans for her so time to rip it apart and see what I can save.

Wow... Awesome!!! No pressure,,,, :Sweating: It will be very cool!! For sure!!! Thanks for being so kind and gracious.... Good job :Cool:

Comment

LOL, Nope NOOOOoooooo Pressure. Looking at the 3000 plans. They sold options for this kit. A camera that took black and whites, it had its own bomb bay to drop from, that you could build into her. Very cool IMHO. Also 4 rockets. The covering has bled into the wood and is really a big pain to sand out. Back at it!!.

Comment

I made a choice to cover her with glass, after all she is a very old lady and can use the extra strength.

Comment

Much agreed, and looks good

Comment

A lot of sanding and spot putty today. I'm going to use duct tape for covering. Here is where I'm at with the main wing, I started repairs on the fuse and after that glassing to follow.

Comment

That's gonna be a heavy bird.

Comment

My guess right now is under 10 lbs. With the10cc gas engine up front I plan to use it should be fine. We shall see.

Comment

Duct tape ... the classic stuff used by Red Green... no.

That looks like the light aluminum tape used in ductwork.

Do good range testing when covering the airplane in metal.
                  FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

ROFL, Not all the airframe will have Nashua tape.(AKA Duct tape). The lower parts of the fuse will have monoKote. I say" Do A good range test always on the ground before first flight." I've used this tape and Flight metal many times with good results.

My 86 inch P-47 covered in Flitemetal
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	20170723_122040.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	142640

Link To Flitemetal: http://www.flitemetal.com
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JFandL View Post
                      A lot of sanding and spot putty today. I'm going to use duct tape for covering. Here is where I'm at with the main wing, I started repairs on the fuse and after that glassing to follow.
                      LOL Duct tape has a lot of meanings..... That looks great!!! Bravo!!! :Cool:

Comment

Thank you but I would trade you my P47 for your B17 any day!!!!:Cool:

Comment

Moving along, finished the main wing filets and fins.
                          Found a pilot I have laying around. Repaired the elevator where it joins the fuselage. Made a cover for the nose wheel steering cable(cable was flopping left and right which makes for a tuff time steering). Glassed the bottom of the fuselage. While that dries onto more rivets and panel lines on the main wing.

Comment

Just too cool!!! Where is the CG supposed to be? It has to be on the main wing somewhere? Right? LOL IDK... Have built 100's of birds, but never one like that!!

Comment

Nope CG is 4 1/2 inches forward of the main wing. I've had a few canard's over the years and CG is everything to getting it into the air. I flew this aircraft some time ago and it was fighter type maneuverability. Fun to watch fly as at first your going What The blank is that.

Comment

I'm looking forward to a video of this :)

Comment

Me toooo, stay tuned Crash video at eleven. LOL all kidding aside I can't wait to finish it. Just hoping Art Will love it , after all it's why I'm doing this.

Comment

Very cool! I've always liked the canard configuration as it looks so different and fresh

Comment

That is too cool, I have a real soft spot for restoring old flyers and that is a serious nice piece of nostalgia. I will be following this.

Comment

Art(Club Member) who gave me the aircraft. told me today that the build of the aircraft was 1974 or he think so. he said it looks a lot like Japan's WWII Kyushu J7W1 Shinden
                                        I'm not going to be the one to tell him it does not really. ;)

Comment

Working...
                                        X