X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know what kit this is?

Hi, I bought this plane used. Does anyone know what kit it is? I am looking to install my radio, but would like to see if I can find a manual for it. The wingspan is approx. 65".

Has resemblance to PT-19, PT-20, Miles Magister... but not quite right for any of those

Maybe...

Flugzeuginfo.net is the comprehensive civil and military aircraft encyclopedia with photogallery, airport-codes, airline-codes, aircraft-codes, country-codes, NATO-codes, aviation museums and much more.
    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Not sure either but I think a Chipmunk mated with a Tiger Moth...

Comment

Originally posted by F22trainer View Post
        Not sure either but I think a Chipmunk mated with a Tiger Moth...
        Could be closer to that than you think...

Comment

The shape of the fin is the giveaway...that is absolutely a dH Moth Minor, no doubt. But I can't find it anywhere as a kit. It may have been scratchbuilt from plans.

The real plane had an interesting-looking "flap" with holes in it, underneath the center of the wing.

Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

That style "flap" is a dive brake. Its not really a flap. Its for drag only, not to alter the wing's lift.

Possibly the design had issues with just floating along the runway in ground effect. I can't see any other reason to add it.

The model's wing has significantly less taper than the full scale aircraft, making me think someone modified a PT-19 kit, sweeping the LE back instead of the TE forward.

Comment

Whatever it is, hope your going to fly it soon. looks like they did a good job building it.

Comment

I saw a kit for this - and it was made in Eastern Europe - recently on eBay. Almost bid on it, but I have no idea who the manufacturer was. Everything pictured on the box was written in German (I think), but showed instructions written in English.

Comment

Could it have been a carson? I bought several Carson models when I was stationed in Ktown

Comment

Originally posted by Theodan View Post
                    Hi, I bought this plane used. Does anyone know what kit it is? I am looking to install my radio, but would like to see if I can find a manual for it. The wingspan is approx. 65".
                    DHC-1 Chipmunk

Comment

Originally posted by themudduck View Post
                      The shape of the fin is the giveaway...that is absolutely a dH Moth Minor, no doubt. But I can't find it anywhere as a kit. It may have been scratchbuilt from plans.

The real plane had an interesting-looking "flap" with holes in it, underneath the center of the wing.

Nope not that

Comment

Originally posted by fieldofdreamsflyer View Post

Nope not that
                        Looking carefully at pictures of the Chipmunk and Moth Minor, you can see that these are really similar planes if you ignore the cockpit canopy which is missing from the model in question I think I finally noticed what's really the defining difference. Its in the tail.
                        On the Chipmunk t
                        he horizontal stab
                        is set further back, the elevators are behind the rudder.
                        With the Moth Minor the rudder sticks out well behind the elevators..
                        So I agree with you, the model appears to be a DH Chipmunk. Don't ever tell me that I won't admit when I'm wrong! :Straight-Face:
                        Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

Don't ever tell me that I won't admit when I'm wrong! :Straight-Face:
                          Oh hell no brother, I like my teeth where they are, and I had a good nights sleep!LOL;):Cool:

Comment

Looking carefully at pictures of the Chipmunk and Moth Minor, you can see that these are really similar planes if you ignore the cockpit canopy which is missing from the model in question I think I finally noticed what's really the defining difference. Its in the tail.
                            On the Chipmunk t
                            he horizontal stab
                            is set further back, the elevators are behind the rudder.
                            With the Moth Minor the rudder sticks out well behind the elevators..
                            So I agree with you, the model appears to be a DH Chipmunk. Don't ever tell me that I won't admit when I'm wrong! :Straight-Face:
                            Sorry about that

Comment

I'm just joking!! I mean, I was wrong and I admit it!

Well, I admit it this ONE time... but I'm not going to make a HABIT out of it..... :Cool:

Image result for i admit that I am wrong

Comment

Hey guys sorry for the late reply. I really appreciate all the info. I am just trying to determine how to set up the centre of gravity and your info helps to narrow down possible model kits to look at. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Theodan View Post
                                  Hey guys sorry for the late reply. I really appreciate all the info. I am just trying to determine how to set up the centre of gravity and your info helps to narrow down possible model kits to look at. Thanks
                                  Hey it's no problem, we had a little party while you were gone, got drunk, trashed the place and left it in a mess! So now you're back!

It shouldn't be hard to get this plane going - balance it at 25% back from the LE of the wing (at the fuselage) - that will be slightly nose-heavy, and it should fly very well. You may need just a bit of "up" trim. Then after a couple of flights you can try moving the balance back slightly until it flies just the way that you like it. If you want to cruise, leave it nose-heavy. If you want to do aerobatics, then edge it back until it flies inverted with just a hint of down elevator to keep it level. You should be fine with this plane.

Comment

LOL looks like a party! I'll set up the C of G as you have said and go from there. I think I will look for a canopy and call the model a sport Chipmunk so I can use it at scale rallies! So thanks a lot everyone for the info. I am just getting back into flying after many years away. I have a couple Eagle 2s and a Great Planes cub to practice with for a bit as I get comfortable again.

Comment

Working...
                                    X