X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds to me like he's drank the Kool Aid of R/C flying, he's hooked now
    Tail draggers like to pull to the left when taking off and landing, so what you may have thought was over use of rudder , might have been the P factor, be prepared to apply right rudder, the narrower the landing gear the more likely. The Spitfire loves to do that as well so I'm on the rudder when landing and keeping the prop spinning at idle (which I interpret as being the throttle setting needed to break the inertia and make the plane move)
    On takeoffs, once the tail is in the air and the vertical stab gets some air moving over it, she'll lock in, the trick is getting it to where the tail is in the air.

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

Thanks! Twowingtj It's definitely a whole lot easier to see up there. My VLOS is getting shorter and shorter by the days anymore! lol

xviper

​​​​​​​ It is one of the first things I program in my radio on all my planes.. before binding even. I keep mine set to "motors armed' and "prop secured" on my DX radio. She always keeps me in line. I'm not familiar with the original.. other then it's blue and white.. but one of the other features I like is the ESC power switch in this one. I like being able to get the battery connected and be clear of the prop before sending power to it. Nice feature I've not had before this bird.
      Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
        Sounds to me like he's drank the Kool Aid of R/C flying, he's hooked now
        Tail draggers like to pull to the left when taking off and landing, so what you may have thought was over use of rudder , might have been the P factor, be prepared to apply right rudder, the narrower the landing gear the more likely. The Spitfire loves to do that as well so I'm on the rudder when landing and keeping the prop spinning at idle (which I interpret as being the throttle setting needed to break the inertia and make the plane move)
        On takeoffs, once the tail is in the air and the vertical stab gets some air moving over it, she'll lock in, the trick is getting it to where the tail is in the air.

Grossman56
        The kool aid is tasty... gimme some more! The 'P factor'.. that is exactly what one of our members schooled me as well. It was another rookie mistake on my part. I had thought the P factor mainly pertained to the warbirds in general. Didn't understand, until today, that is was tail draggers in general. Unfortunately for me, I love tail draggers! Not sure if it's the way they sit or why, but I find they catch my wandering eye more so than others. So I'll just have to dial it in.. more sooner then later preferably.
        Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Originally posted by BluesDragon View Post

The kool aid is tasty... gimme some more! The 'P factor'.. that is exactly what one of our members schooled me as well. It was another rookie mistake on my part. I had thought the P factor mainly pertained to the warbirds in general. Didn't understand, until today, that is was tail draggers in general. Unfortunately for me, I love tail draggers! Not sure if it's the way they sit or why, but I find they catch my wandering eye more so than others. So I'll just have to dial it in.. more sooner then later preferably.
          It is actually 4 factors that combine to create left turning tendencies:
          torque
          P-factor
          spiraling slipstreams
          gyroscopic precession

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
            "Bad experiences", we've all had them and no customer or any product in any industry is immune. Luckily for us, in our hobby a "bad experience" where a model takes an aggressive dirt nap is hopefully something that can [eventually, after the tears subside] bring us all together for a good chuckle:

https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/th...-rules-entries

Most would agree about "unfortunate" experiences of inferior products. Many go home jaded. Products are becoming overpriced but undervalued. Back in the day, if people complained, it was customary for companies to bend over backwards to please the consumer. They were afraid of losing market share and brand loyalty. It's amazing how manipulated a brand can be. When I assembled my Eflite Twin Otter, it looked like it came out of an "Easy Bake Oven" . The unpainted white foam looks like a styrofoam take-out food container with bleeded painted edges; sticky graphics; snap-on fluttering plastic float pieces and a laughable pushrod attached to a nosewheel tiller arm that runs under the body to a float rudder. Was it so expensive to add a float servo? I made it a permanent floatplane with differential steering. I shouldn't have had to do that. I hate compromising. I think FMS should have made a 2000mm DeHavilland series, starting with the Beaver; The Otter; Twin Otter; Buffalo and DASH 8....

Comment

As regards the P factor, you just get used to it. When taking the Pandoras off, I find that I end up with the throttle in the two o'clock position, sort of 'bending' the throttle advance to compensate. Usually, once they are tail up, they'll travel straight. Trying to trim it out is a waste because you end up burning batteries while re trimming for straight and level flight. With the fighters, I nudge, nudge to the right until the tail is up, then pull the trigger (advance to full or at least 3/4 power) and up she goes with a touch of up elevator. It's fun to do a scale take off and hold them on the ground until you decide they can take off. Remember, you're in command, not the airplane. Conversely, that airplane will do only and exactly what you tell it to do, so a great exercise is to take out the radio and visualize the airplane and practice your inputs. There are videos out there showing the Blue Angels doing that exact thing. Dave Scott had a cockpit setup in his basement that duplicates his Pitts and he practices his inputs on that as well as actual flight. Its all about the inputs.

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

Thanks to Ms Callie, the painted out windscreen looks so much better! Put on the wood prop and the final coats of Minwax.. went with semi-gloss on this one. Had to put one wheel up to move shadows around the graphic. Yes.. i need to work on my graphic application skills as well, but I'm diggin it!

Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Working...
                X