P-38 - The Ultimate EPO Lightning

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will be buying the A6 Intruder, but also want something to help transition from choppers

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will be buying the A6 Intruder, but also want something to help transition from choppers

I have flown RC choppers and now want to get into fixed wing. I am going to buy the freewing A-6 Intruder, but i want to get something that will help me transition into that airframe. Any suggestions?

Hello TrainmanMike and welcome to the Squawk.
    Transitioning from a rotary to fixed wing or vice versa is a skill set of different animals.
    Fixed have a whole different carry of inertial momentum as well as how they behave with high or low wing placement and whether it is trike gear or tail dragger.
    Get a prop trainer preferably in trike and then from there a EDF trainer like say the Avanti and then the "Iron Tadpole"
    With your heli experience, I would guess the transition will be short and rather uneventful but take your time
    Best regards,
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Thank you for the advice. I was thinking of the ov10 bronco because its alot slower and more stable than the tadpole. Alot of people i have talked with in the hobby locally said to give that one a shot because of forementioned reasons. Good idea or no?

Comment

I've had a chance to fly the OV-10. It's a heavy plane and I find the power to be somewhat marginal for aerobatics but yes, fairly stable.

It's actually also pretty quick though, I'd expect 75 mph give or take.

I think the challenge on this one will be landing. It will stall at a faster clip than some and given the higher weight, even though the gear are good, if you stall from 2-3 ft. up and drop it in, you're likely to have damage.

Comment

Thank you for the heads up and advice.

Comment

Working...
          X