You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the worst CRASH you ever had? Let us see your photo.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beeg View Post
    My worst crash. A couple years ago I got a Habu32 and put these new "recommended" HV Digital servos all around. They were new to the market. Should have waited awhile for better quality control. Anyway, was doing a diving high speed low pass across the field at 6-8 feet at the most, plane was really moving 100+ and just after it passed the pilot area it snapped hard right roll into the ground. After collecting all the trash and seeing what was salvageable,not much, I was inspecting all the components to try and figure out what happened. The right aileron servo smelled burnt and you could see slight burning where the wire comes out. Taking the servo apart revealed more shorting and burns. Best guess it failed full up. If you have a Habu32 you know that it takes very little control throws all around especially at high speed. I tried to get Horizon to rectify the issue and at least give me a new servo but they just gave me the run around. Been reluctant to deal with them ever since. That crash cost me about $800. Maybe I should have taken it up with Spektrum since it was their servo.
    This event sort of scared me. What if I was turning through the flight line and it failed? These things are little fiberglass missiles. Could have really hurt someone if it happened at the wrong time.

Lesson learned: Avoid if possible a line of flight that even points across the flight line. Especially fast fiberglass planes. I know we have insurance but just think how bad you would feel if your model hurt, or even worse mortally wounded someone?
    Yes, that is one of the worst thing that could ever happen to a hobby pilot. I know there have been serious accidents, it part of any sport. The preventable one are even more serious, but a Manufacture selling poor quality should be notified quickly. Yes, I'd have asked Spektrum to multiply their quality control. Hard to say if it would help or not. Just good to hear, you did learn what can happen with a flying missal. Glad you weren't hurt as well. Thank you, for sharing your experience. Merry Christmas. Matt

Comment

I've had better days!!!

Comment

Yep, I'd say so. We found that the fuse break point is a weak spot, nothing that a little Gorilla Glue/white or Foam-Tac. From what I can see, it's repairable though, WINTER PROJECT!!

Grossman56
        Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by LesHurricane View Post
          I've had better days!!!
          Ah, man! Yeah, that's a hard one to swallow. I've done something similar to that. I flew my trainer into a wall! I'd just landed, a few minutes earlier and then came around the same ally way. What I did was missed judged the depth of the opening between the road ally and, the building. I have a great video! Well, maybe some glue & sand paper- you can at least repair that one? Cheers, Thank you, for sharing. Matt

Comment

Well, technically, it wasn't actually my crash, but I was in charge so I have to claim some credit. I was letting my then 13 year old niece fly my Parkzone T-28. She was actually doing well just doing some lazy circles around the club field. The plane started to lose a little altitude so I suggested she give it a little elevator to climb just a bit. She mistakenly pushed the stick forward and from about 70 feet the plane dove straight in at about half throttle.

She was crushed and near tears, so trying to play it off I told her not to worry, I had crashed it before and her crash was likely no worse, and that I'd just glue it back together and fly it again.

Then as I looked out to the crash sight I saw smoke, a lot of smoke. I said, "well, this is different" and we headed out to the middle of the flying field. When we got there the plane was pretty much gone from the cowl forward. Apparently the crash had either damaged the battery or caused a short which caused the battery to burst into flames.

I and another club member consoled my niece by telling her she had "by far the most realistic and scale looking crash at the club. We would be proud if our crashes were as exciting and real looking as hers." Not sure she bought it, but she did at least smile.

Comment

That reminds me of when I crashed and burned Pandora One. Lots of smoke!! I had killed the ESC and it burned the foam around it almost all the way through.

I really thought that was the end of her, even ordered another Pandora ( Pandora Two). Got her home and started digging, fill the hole with Gorilla Glue, patched her up and she's flying to this day. She's the red, white and blue one that I showed on this thread after the elevator servo started being weird again and wouldn't let her climb. Patched back up yet again and new servo installed, flies extremely well.
              Let's face it, we all become better craftsmen long before we become better pilots!

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                That reminds me of when I crashed and burned Pandora One. Lots of smoke!! I had killed the ESC and it burned the foam around it almost all the way through.

I really thought that was the end of her, even ordered another Pandora ( Pandora Two). Got her home and started digging, fill the hole with Gorilla Glue, patched her up and she's flying to this day. She's the red, white and blue one that I showed on this thread after the elevator servo started being weird again and wouldn't let her climb. Patched back up yet again and new servo installed, flies extremely well.
                Let's face it, we all become better craftsmen long before we become better pilots!

Grossman56
                HA! I've never thought about your quote: We all become better craftsmen long before we become better pilots! Words of wisdom there, that's a very true statement. A lot of people forget, it all had to start somewhere. We were the Ginnie pigs of the hobby, back when you built the "Transmitter as well". We didn't have CD's, we had vinyl. We didn't know about PNP; because it never was available like it is today. We have a lot we take for granted, so a good quote; should be addressed! Thank you, for sharing Grossman56. Matt

Comment

I've often thought that my Grandfather saw a lot of changes, but, as you say, I've seen records made of a glass-like material with Al Jolson on them and they played at 78 RPM, to vinyl, 45's and 33 1/3 EP's and LP's to 8 tracks to cassettes to CD's to digital downloads. To the point that I can have every record I've ever owned all on the convenience of a machine that I can carry in my pocket.
                  Not to mention this dang thing I'm typing on, my dad, who passed in 1971 at the age of 41, would have been gob smacked if he could see this thing!
                  Go figure
                  Grossman56
                  Team Gross!

Comment

Not RC, but it seems 2016 decided to claim my other flagship of my rocket fleet. The ejection charge failed to work and she went in at 250mph about. The impact was hard enough to knock the paint clean off the nose cone on impact.
                    Ah well, I'll need another G-Force then, on top of another MiG-29. 2017 is going to be expensive, assuming FW comes out with a MiG-29 in the summer.
                    And Matt/Starcop, thanks for kicking it up the chain, I hope FW makes a nice twin 80 soon so I can soon have another -29 in my fleet. :)

Comment

Welcome to the forum Topdogzrc!
                      That's tough, but what do you do. At least the fates could have been fair enough to at least capture it on video!!

Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment

Thanks for the welcome Gross!
                        Fortunately the fates were kind enough for me to have film of its final flight. I'm putting together a video and I'll post it if you all want.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdogzrc View Post
                          Not RC, but it seems 2016 decided to claim my other flagship of my rocket fleet. The ejection charge failed to work and she went in at 250mph about. The impact was hard enough to knock the paint clean off the nose cone on impact.
                          Ah well, I'll need another G-Force then, on top of another MiG-29. 2017 is going to be expensive, assuming FW comes out with a MiG-29 in the summer.
                          And Matt/Starcop, thanks for kicking it up the chain, I hope FW makes a nice twin 80 soon so I can soon have another -29 in my fleet. :)
                          Absolutely, I'm happy to push for models we tend to forget about. The Mig 29 is a fantastic Jet, I'd love to have one and, I know there were many pilots who purchased the LX Model version only to be disappointed in the final product performance. I'm sure F/W would build a beautiful rendition of that bird. Especially, the person involved with all the development for Motion RC. The guy is a "Guru" or Master of the Radio Controlled industry. I know his heart and passion for this business is his top priority. Amazes me, how well he does his job, very hard to find people of that caliper. So far, we've had some really nice new products come from the team. I'm not putting names, but I'm sure people can guess, who I'm talking about. We all work as a team, quite well I might add. The owners of Motion RC, set out to change the old ways of internet stores. That notice we always got used to seeing; "Out of Stock" Arg! Then, once they came in, it was a free for all. Like the last cookie on the plate! Well, I'm off the topic here. I better re-set my course. Yes, building a better Mig 29 so we can post less Crashed Jets!!! Yea, that would be awesome. Keep the suggestions coming, it all starts somewhere. Thanks, Matt

Comment

So this is what a large rocket looks like when it piles in. The only thing that rivals it IMO is a turbine jet
                            3rd and final flight, the ejection charge failed to deploy the chute and in she went

Comment

In a word...
                              OWCH!!!
                              Team Gross!

Comment

I think she ingested grass on a longer than normal takeoff roll. Should have aborted. Oh well.
                                Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

Originally posted by seaviper View Post
                                  I think she ingested grass on a longer than normal takeoff roll. Should have aborted. Oh well.
                                  Dang...!!!
                                  TiredIron Aviation
                                  Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I have never seen a foamie disintegrate that bad. With some FoamTac/Gorilla and a lot of tenacity it will be a great puzzle challenge for you seaviper!!
                                    Warbird Charlie
                                    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by seaviper View Post
                                      Awe man, I'm sorry to see that! That is an expensive jet, so it's no joke when you lose one. What was the culprit if you don't mind me asking? Matt

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                                        I have never seen a foamie disintegrate that bad. With some FoamTac/Gorilla and a lot of tenacity it will be a great puzzle challenge for you seaviper!!
                                        Man, I think that ones a goner "fo sho! I know, it's a sucky part of RC as we all have our crash record. Heck, I have some great video of my piloting skills crashing two in a row! Well, it's always replaceable. Matt

Comment

Never learned the culprit. I had flown it flawlessly a couple days before. On the day of the crash, the field had been mowed. I assume it was grass ingestion because the bird just had no power. The battery was excellent as was the motor and fan. I cleared the trees and got extremely slow. I was flying the bird by looking between tree tops. I guess I lost orientation or responded late to a roll. Anyway, she went straight in. The airspeed sensor showed she hit the deck at 70+ mph. I should not have forced the takeoff. Pilot error.
                                          Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

Working...
                                          X