You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the worst CRASH you ever had? Let us see your photo.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seaviper View Post
    Never learned the culprit. I had flown it flawlessly a couple days before. On the day of the crash, the field had been mowed. I assume it was grass ingestion because the bird just had no power. The battery was excellent as was the motor and fan. I cleared the trees and got extremely slow. I was flying the bird by looking between tree tops. I guess I lost orientation or responded late to a roll. Anyway, she went straight in. The airspeed sensor showed she hit the deck at 70+ mph. I should not have forced the takeoff. Pilot error.
    Ah, yeah people need to bag the grass. We had a discussion about that at our local club. That's a hard day at the flying field, 5 hundy doesn't come easy. It can sure end easy with this hobby! I remember my first gas airplane loss, I spent hours, days then months to build a trainer. Got it over my head, too high up. Then, I was trying ti add input as it turned and went straight inline to a set of buildings. Never was able to find the airplane after that. So, I guess it's part of the hobby. If your not crashing, your not flying! Cool, man. Thanks for the input! Cheers. Matt C/S Motion RC

Comment

We had a fellow like that a couple of years ago, he was asking the peopel in the neighborhood if anyone had seen his airplane, don't know whether he ever found it, but we all can imagine what that must feel like. I remember Bryan losing his in a tree,way up!
      Finally did a midnight lumberjack thing and recovered it, can't recall how long it was up there

Grossman56.
      Team Gross!

Comment

Multiplex Funjet. Lawn darted that baby at about 120 MPH. There may be pieces of that thing still in orbit. Doc

Comment

Where to begin.

What's that saying? If you ain't crashin' you ain't flyin'! :p

I've had many doozies over the years, probably the most violent was the LX SR-71 Blackbird. Was still trying to tame her, and I began stalling at one point so I dropped the nose, went to WOT and just started to pull out of it and at full power from a dive proceeded to plow into a chain link fence. I'm not sure what was more impressive. The explosion sound it made upon impact or the lack of any substantial pieces left to pick up.

Video #1: New SR-71, I was at the school track, proceeded to lose control and she smashed into the track in glorious fashion. Video was taken complete with slo-mo for your viewing pleasure...

Video #2: Lost my Freewing F/A-18 90mm jet in the Sun...Same school track...Skip to 3:05 in the video to get right to it if you like...

Video #3: By far the most impressive crash I have ever had was with the FMS 1700mm Corsair. I had the model before anyone else in the US because at the time I was doing package design work for FMS so they sent me the beta model basically. Well, turns out the hub was made of inferior material...You will see in the video a most incredible mid-air explosion caused by the hub fracturing under high RPM's which caused a chain of events that made it looked like it was straffed in mid-air. My most viewed video to-date. You will understand why. ;)

Sadly I could go on and on and on...LOL!

My YouTube RC videos:
          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Originally posted by doctormike View Post
            Multiplex Funjet. Lawn darted that baby at about 120 MPH. There may be pieces of that thing still in orbit. Doc
            LOL! That's funny. Not that you crashed but what you said about it. My worst crash was trying to take off an LX A-10. It was way too nose heavy. Got to the end of the runway and abruptly lifted off. I grossly over compensated and slammed it to the ground. It bounced and slammed to the ground again and that EPS foam went POOF! It was sad. I have seen planes auger in that came out looking better than that thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
              Where to begin.

What's that saying? If you ain't crashin' you ain't flyin'! :p

I've had many doozies over the years, probably the most violent was the LX SR-71 Blackbird. Was still trying to tame her, and I began stalling at one point so I dropped the nose, went to WOT and just started to pull out of it and at full power from a dive proceeded to plow into a chain link fence. I'm not sure what was more impressive. The explosion sound it made upon impact or the lack of any substantial pieces left to pick up.

Video #1: New SR-71, I was at the school track, proceeded to lose control and she smashed into the track in glorious fashion. Video was taken complete with slo-mo for your viewing pleasure...

Video #2: Lost my Freewing F/A-18 90mm jet in the Sun...Same school track...Skip to 3:05 in the video to get right to it if you like...

Video #3: By far the most impressive crash I have ever had was with the FMS 1700mm Corsair. I had the model before anyone else in the US because at the time I was doing package design work for FMS so they sent me the beta model basically. Well, turns out the hub was made of inferior material...You will see in the video a most incredible mid-air explosion caused by the hub fracturing under high RPM's which caused a chain of events that made it looked like it was straffed in mid-air. My most viewed video to-date. You will understand why. ;)

Sadly I could go on and on and on...LOL!

I saw that Corsair video before I bought mine. That was impressive.

Comment

Wow! That Corsair crash is insane, just exploded in a second. Even looked like a prop blade took off the vertical stab too, dang..

Though I'd add another one of mine in here as well. It isn't as nearly as destructive, but it is interesting. Last year, for my college Senior design project, my team and I tested a model of our reusable spaceplane design. The first small prototype flew fine, so we built a second larger model. It went into a flat spin almost immediately after release, but then recovered maybe 5 ft above the tree line. I have a few photos that we used to analyze the accident, and video from a friends DJI Inspire of the flight. Basically, when the model launched from the carrier airplane, it slid back and impacted the vertical tail, pushing it into a spin. Certainly one of the stranger crashes that I've had so far: https://youtu.be/8wQvCbn-eBs

Comment

Well I guess we all need a good laugh . I was trying to maiden a Freewing F/A 18 64mm . I had set the elevator level and turned my throws down so on take off it took all the up I could give it. Got it up but had to hold the elevator at full up to keep it in the air . I was going to bring it in and reset the controls so when I backed out of the power it started to drop and it dropped very fast . This my High School practice football field I fly at so there a few things to accommodate the players one being a PORTAJON !!! All I can say is " watch out for the sh*ter " . Enjoy and laugh . Any wet pants are not my fault .

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

Bryan
                  But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie 64 View Post
                    Well I guess we all need a good laugh . I was trying to maiden a Freewing F/A 18 64mm . I had set the elevator level and turned my throws down so on take off it took all the up I could give it. Got it up but had to hold the elevator at full up to keep it in the air . I was going to bring it in and reset the controls so when I backed out of the power it started to drop and it dropped very fast . This my High School practice football field I fly at so there a few things to accommodate the players one being a PORTAJON !!! All I can say is " watch out for the sh*ter " . Enjoy and laugh . Any wet pants are not my fault .

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

Bryan
                    There wasn't much out there to hit but you sure hit it! LOL

Comment

Hmmm, I need to think about this one. Are we talking the most spectacular, the most expensive, the greatest number of parts, or parts over the widest area. I've had a few of each in my time

Martin.

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
                        Wow! That Corsair crash is insane, just exploded in a second. Even looked like a prop blade took off the vertical stab too, dang..

Though I'd add another one of mine in here as well. It isn't as nearly as destructive, but it is interesting. Last year, for my college Senior design project, my team and I tested a model of our reusable spaceplane design. The first small prototype flew fine, so we built a second larger model. It went into a flat spin almost immediately after release, but then recovered maybe 5 ft above the tree line. I have a few photos that we used to analyze the accident, and video from a friends DJI Inspire of the flight. Basically, when the model launched from the carrier airplane, it slid back and impacted the vertical tail, pushing it into a spin. Certainly one of the stranger crashes that I've had so far: https://youtu.be/8wQvCbn-eBs
                        That is very cool. I like the photo's it makes it more interesting to see close ups like that. Actually, that's a cool project. Thank you for sharing! Matt

Comment

Well number 55 has finally bit the dust. During my ownership it got a new tail due to an argument with a bowling ball. You can guess which won. Its took me almost a year to get it back up but due to sickness even the end was not brought at my hands.
                          After the fight with the bowling ball i finally got busy repairing old 55.(never have found out the maker. Bought used. 63" nitro p51 mustange) i had finished the repaires and had hope to maiden myself but weeks of work and a chronic cough that has pleaged me said let someone else do it. I spoke to a friend of mine which also happens to be our club vice president and an accomplished 3d flier about doing it and he agreed. We meant at the field sunday and went through throws and done a range check to be safe and sure.(i had already done before going also so this was a double check to make sure i had missed nothing). Its always better safe than sorry
                          I hadn't started the old asp91 for almost a year so i was a little worried but as soon as i hit it with the starter she came to life and it took very little tuning and it purred like a kitten. At full throttle she roared like a lion. The takeoff was as i always remembered in the past. Up on the mains then all the way to full and gone. Man she eat up some sky in a hurry. 1 full circut around the field and my friend says im going straight out and then turn it back because of a slight left roll that he had to compensate for. She got out about 250 yards and all of a sudden went vertical with my friend announcing he no longer had control. I watched sickenedly as it went straight up into a stall (which my friend caused by cutting the throttle which was the right thing to do). Afterwords it spiraled into the ground with my friend frantically tring to get something to respond. Nothing . Right before impact the throttle went wide open even after the throttle cut had been activated. The post mortum has been delayed since i really haven't wanted to dig into it yet. Bit on the brighter side more room for another bird. But im going to miss the old thing. In her day she was a winner. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170409_171712.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	71014Click image for larger version

Name:	20170409_171712.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	71016
                          Attached Files
                          Dewey l

Comment

Somwhow missed a picture.
                            Attached Files
                            Dewey l

Comment

Wow still cant get . Click image for larger version

Name:	20170409_171715.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	71022
                              Dewey l

Comment

It was it's expiration date Dewey :(and just another testament that foam does bounce better than balsa ;)
                                Warbird Charlie
                                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Aww ratz! Sorry to see that Dewey.

Comment

Umm..does shooting a plane down with a M1A rifle count as a crash?
                                    MRC: Avanti S, F7F Tigercat. Eflite: Carbon Z Cub, A-10, P-47, Micro Radian. Flex Innovations: QQ300, Night Cessna 150, HK Night Walrus, Parkzone F-27 Stryker, Micro F-27 Stryker, Night Vapor, Micro Mosquito

Comment

My first and undocumented was my LX-10 Maiden with the assistance of Rich Baker from RC Informer. After TO the canopy separated...then the mechanics did as well. Unfortunately, they took out the right fan blades making it red line and begin to smoke. Then Rich, inadvertently felt I was skilled enough to talk me through a single fan landing. Well, needless to say, she finally succumbed to my thumbs and nosed over and shattered. My other memorable crash that WAS documented was my Legends P-38. My last flight of the day was totally epic and I was feeling one with the beast, then as I made my final aileron roll she departed into a flat spin and well, the picture says what went wrong. As of now, she flies again in her memory.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8119.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	71319

Comment

Ouch i know it hurts
                                        Miss old 55 so much and since the now obsolete ASP91 i jist ordered a 60 size top flight p51 for the rest of its life.
                                        Dewey l

Comment

I think I recall that LM P-38 crash from the RCG thread. Ugh. Mine met her fate when I sold her to some ding dong (I kick myself to this day) who proceeded to destroy her with his first flight! FIRST FLIGHT! He said he hit LVC and that's all she wrote.

I am not one to usually belittle another man in this hobby but that was just plain stupid on his part. :Angry: :Scared:
                                          My YouTube RC videos:
                                          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Working...
                                          X