X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Foil Guesses?

So I got to thinking about what project Foil could be. I thought, foil - saber - F-86... Perhaps a V2 of the FW F-86 Sabre? A V2 would be sweet. Slightly bigger wheels for grass; stronger trailing link LG; a little more power; put the main gear in the proper location so rotation for takeoff is easy; scale horizontal stabilizer shape (get rid of the clipped tips on the elevator); re-sized battery compartment for 6S 5000 packs and to achieve a proper CG. Even better, go to a 90mm fan like the Taft 11 bladed unit which uses an 80 amp ESC, has lots of thrust, and great flight duration on a 6S 5000 pack.

So maybe I'm way off on my guess. It does seem that FW is only doing Vietnam era jets these days. I'm a big fan of the Korean war era jets like the F9F Cougar and F-86.

***Update #1 10/9/2018***

Here is a compiled list of project "Foil" clues thanks to wolpertinger. I have placed it here to make it easy to find in the future and will try to update it if there are any changes.

Steve (RCJetDude) Hodges

Post #759

OK so let the guessing game begin again. What clues do we have so far for project Foil.
    1. Alphas History:
      • Military Campaigns and Pilots
      • Alphas prior hints / clues, pattern
      • Likes Military, History and Literature?
    2. Foil to be in 2018
    3. Foil is an EDF
    4. Hoot was Fast but Foil is Faster
    5. Cloud Atlas:
      • Book Reference
      • Movie Reference
      • Breaking Bad Episode
    6. Ozymandias:
      • Poem Meaning and references
      • King of Kings
      • Egypt
    7. Foil Definitions:
      • To prevent (something considered wrong or undesirable) from succeeding.
      • The track or scent of a hunted animal. (Maybe - Radar tracking?)
      • A light fencing sword without cutting edges but with a button on its point. (Na to obvious.)
    8. Ruled out:
      • Alpha Post #552 - Not an SR-71 Black bird and not a Foxbat

Post #871

Alpha added after this

it is not raw aluminum.
    it is not a Hustler.

Cannot find post where alpha referenced foil was not done in foam before.

Alpha also talked about it not being Black, and must able to sell to recover development costs. (That's a lot of carrots) So nothing too off the path from current and must compliment the MRC lineup I would think.

All I found browsing.. any more?

***Update #2 10/9/2018***

This just in from Alpha!

I'll contribute a few more pointers, just to keep playing along with this riddle guessing game. Again, please don't interpret this as baiting. The purpose of this thread --that I didn't start-- is to openly guess what one of the MANY next planes from Motion RC will be. There's nothing officially implied as to when or what or why or whatever will be released. So this is all in FUN. Try to convince yourselves and others why you're right, but I won't ever actually confirm what it is until we're ready to release it. As another aside, I'll never understand why Project Foil received so much scrutiny and attention over all of the other Project names we've released... perhaps y'all just really like malleable metals, or have enduring memories of Boy Scout-grade campfire cooking methods?

1) Foil is not an acronym.

2) It's not small.

3) Guess again, it's not Russian.

4) Have I said it's never been modeled before? I don't recall ever saying that.

5) The reference about "King of Kings" above sounds nice, but doesn't quite fit depending on who you ask.

6) Everyone won't like it, but some of you will go absolutely nuts.

7) Reindeer in flight jackets definitely comprise the flight crew.

Bonus Hint: One of those hints above is not true.

It’s got to be an F100 Super Sabre hasn’t it?

Comment

Yeah, you're probably right. That, or an F-105 since they already have the 64mm version. They seem to be fond of Vietnam era jets these days.

Comment

Hotdogx,
        It all appears that way and I for one one would love a F9F Panther, Cougar or a Saber.. as there is always room in the hangar... the only wrinkle is the evil twisted, tormented mind of Alpha...:Cool:. Got to love a sick mind to keep you guessing...

Comment

Someone from MRC had already said they are looking to model airplanes that have never been done before in foam. With that said I don't expect there to be a completely new F-86 Saber anytime soon. But I can see an updated V2 at the most.
          But then again there are other Freewing EDFs that are in dire need of an update first like the 90mm F/A-18E.
          Freewing would be more wise investing in a completely new EDF that no company currently offers like the F-100 Super Saber.

Click image for larger version

Name:	f-100_title.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	123191

Comment

I too would LOVE to have an F-100, either 80mm or 90mm. I'm sure they'd do it right without having to do mods.
            Pat

Comment

Or an F-111 aardvark. :):):):):);)
              AMA 424553

Comment

Scale gear on the F-111 would not be easy. Although maybe something like the 90mm Yak-130 gear setup would be close.

And if they did do one, I wonder who would be first to do a dump and burn mod? :)

Pat

Comment

I wouldn't get hopes up for an Aardvark(F-111) or a Bone(B-1B) seeing that FW already did a swing wing model using the Tomcat(F-14) as the platform.
                  If you look at the Official Freewing Twin 80mm F-14D Tomcat Thread which was started Sept 2015, to date after 2-1/2 years it has only 224 posts.
                  I don't believe that the lack of excitement shown for it is because of no interest in such a sexy and iconic fighter but because of the complexity and higher cost of an airframe that is relegated to pilots with paved runways.
                  This leaves out the majority of customers who are grass/turf flyers and is a big reason the A-10 is a huge success for a large super scale twin EDF cause it was able to overcome that problem.
                  Warbird Charlie
                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I'm hoping for a F-100, 80 or 90 mm. I don't need super scale, I need fast as an Avanti, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                      I wonder who would be first to do a dump and burn mod? :)
                      I pull one of those off pretty often:Sweating:
                      TiredIron Aviation
                      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Evoman,

F-100 would be OK I guess. With that small intake they'd need a cheater intake for sure! I'm not fond of cheaters because they like to suck up grass clippings after our runway has been mowed. When that happens, the cheater grill gets partially covered, the thrust drops, and the darned jet won't take off. Also makes a mess on the LE of the fan blades with the cuttings that make it through the grill.

I'm afraid I'm in the minority when it comes to my favorite jets, which are Korean War and Cold War jets - F9F Cougar; F-86 Sabre; F4D Skyray; F-106 Delta Dart; F-101 Voodoo; and B-58 Hustler.

Comment

I would place my bet on a F-100 Super Saber in a 90mm class OR a Mig-15 in a 80mm class.

PLEASE don't let the F-100 start it's life as a park flier, it deserves to be a big dog. :(

Comment

Im 0 for 4 on my guesses but here goes another one. I think "foil" as in the edged weapon is too obvious to be a super saber. Alpha's diabolical mind likes bringing history into the projects so my money (2cents) is on foil relating to "window" ,the foil strips used to jam radar first used in WW2. Chaff is an electronic countermeasure. Aircraft will be a countermeasure craft. Ea-18 growler. Would love an 80mm wildweasel thud but think the growler more likely.
                            Still flying P.15, avanti(#2), mig 21, yak 130 70mm(#2), f35, f9f panther, a10 64mm, F8 crusader/ PA ultimate amr /HK skipper, durafly dh vampire, p 51,spit mk24, corsair, flybeam/ BH f86 50mm, deltawing 50mm/ HH su 26 mm,umx pitts,umx sbach, blade nano cp s,blade 450x, inductrix 200, inductrix pro, umx yak 54,umx f27 fpv/ electrifly 4s L39/ flyzone beaver/ volantix asw 28, /dynam B26

RIP.. roc hobby waco,strega #2(you will be missed), Fw 90mm eurofighter.

Comment

Yes a F-100 Super saber 90mm or larger class please :)

Comment

Originally posted by CFIT rob View Post
                                Im 0 for 4 on my guesses but here goes another one. I think "foil" as in the edged weapon is too obvious to be a super saber. Alpha's diabolical mind likes bringing history into the projects so my money (2cents) is on foil relating to "window" ,the foil strips used to jam radar first used in WW2. Chaff is an electronic countermeasure. Aircraft will be a countermeasure craft. Ea-18 growler. Would love an 80mm wildweasel thud but think the growler more likely.
                                A Growler?! I'd not be able to resist.

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                                  I wouldn't get hopes up for an Aardvark(F-111) or a Bone(B-1B) seeing that FW already did a swing wing model using the Tomcat(F-14) as the platform.
                                  If you look at the Official Freewing Twin 80mm F-14D Tomcat Thread which was started Sept 2015, to date after 2-1/2 years it has only 224 posts.
                                  I don't believe that the lack of excitement shown for it is because of no interest in such a sexy and iconic fighter but because of the complexity and higher cost of an airframe that is relegated to pilots with paved runways.
                                  This leaves out the majority of customers who are grass/turf flyers and is a big reason the A-10 is a huge success for a large super scale twin EDF cause it was able to overcome that problem.
                                  The F-14 thread on RC Groups has over 10,000 posts for the same time frame. Granted a lot of it is speculation, argument, whining, etc., but it is 10k posts strong. Since MRC and Freewing have already spent the time and money on developing a swing-wing mechanism, then in my opinion they could come out with something like a B-1B, F-111, Tornado, MiG-23, MiG-27, SU-24, etc., etc., without having to reinvent the wheel. None of those, to my knowledge, have ever been modeled. So if Foil is a swing-wing, and if MRC and Freewing want to model something that's never been done before, any one of those would be fair game.

And without getting into the scale landing gear argument again (not with you; with the Internet in general), as long as something like the Tornado or the F-111 have a sturdy gear that's grass-ops capable - that's thankfully becoming the norm rather than the exception - they'll sell a lot. I know I'd buy a V2 Tomcat if such a thing ever existed, assuming part of the V2 was a sturdier landing gear. I agree that the F-14 probably din't sell as well as intended because it's not meant for grass runways.

Comment

Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post
                                    A Growler?! I'd not be able to resist.
                                    Yup. You and me both, shipmate. :Cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Prowler901 View Post

Yup. You and me both, shipmate. :Cool:
                                      I'd have to go with a VAQ-129 scheme, or an imaginary "never" happened Q-3 Moondog paint job. We be jammin!

Comment

Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post

I'd have to go with a VAQ-129 scheme, or an imaginary "never" happened Q-3 Moondog paint job. We be jammin!
                                        Oh yeah. Flip that "Master Bad" switch :)

Comment

Working...
                                        X