X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Boots Whirlygig View Post
    Imagine not wanting to fly a model of a WW1 fighter because back then they didn'’t have a throttle, just an on- off switch! Even the VIetnam era jets, like an A-7 Corsair II, required the entire runway and then fly for a mile in ground effect if carrying ordnance. Tech speaking by today’s standards they were all dogs but as r/c aircraft I love them all! I want them all!
    They had adjustable power settings for the "rotating radials" (Gnome Le' Rhone, Oberursel and similar)

The switch in a Sopwith Camel wasn't just on-off. It had settings to fire just some cylinders instead of all.
    Leaving it in one of these settings too long would foul the plugs of non-firing cylinders. Vary the setting to make the ignition fire a different set of 3 cylinders.
    Its an interesting ignition switch.

Some rotating radials did have a slide-valve carb allowing the pilot to limit intake air and thus moderate power.

Before the automatic switch I described above, there was a button (usually on the joystick) to ground out the ignition and the pilot did intermittently push/release to "throttle" the power. This one is the just on or off version, but it didn't last long.

Thee were in-line and V engines in WWI aircraft also. These had throttled carburetors. (Hispano Suiza and Mercedes among others)
    US's Liberty V-12 saw combat service in DH-4 aircraft

Corsair II could carry more when launched from a carrier than when taking off from the ground. They could adjust the catapult to ensure 180+ knots when going off the end of the flight deck. Limit of launch speed is the pilot, not the catapult or aircraft. Launching at more than 5 G is risking the pilot red-ing out... .( it pushes to much blood to the head, vs black-out is depriving the brain of blood)
    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodcock View Post
      Ya know Valk, good point. Things change, and quickly. But we don't have warp drive yet. : )

Woody

I think everyone should be careful how much to hype these things. We're suppose to be guessing, Not trying to create a bunch of unrealistic expectations. I'm sure many would love a nice T-33.
      We do have it, it's just we don't have a power source, I'm thinking about 126 billion 6s 4000s in series should do nicely.:)

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
        Hooah! That it is. It will be interesting to see what is actually gonna become of this project. I thrive on history and in a very small way being it back to life. The coolest thing to me is not just the flying, but when one of my friends at the field who is a Korean war veteran, enjoys when I fly the tigercat as well as the corsair. He then tells me how he remembers those corsairs cutting through the valleys dropping neipolm and ripping out of there as quickly as they came. It's those kind of things all the money in the world cannot buy, and I do feel blessed to bring back the happy times for him. As he seen many more not so happy times for sure.
        Would you believe that one of the entries into the contest for the A-10 replacement was a modernized P-51. And another entry was a militarized version of the plane Dusty Crophopper was based on.

Comment

• Valkpilot. Please show your mathematical equations to arrive at warp drive. Are those batteries connected in series?

Comment

Valkpilot. Please show your mathematical equations to arrive at warp drive. Are those batteries connected in series?
            126 billionx22.2v+4000 mAh= 1.21 gigawatts, so we bend either time or space. But we're going to need something bigger than a Delorean.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

Would you believe that one of the entries into the contest for the A-10 replacement was a modernized P-51. And another entry was a militarized version of the plane Dusty Crophopper was based on.
              Piper Enforcer. Bet that woulda been fun. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	145733

Comment

• Heck yeah, exactly

Comment

• Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

We do have it, it's just we don't have a power source, I'm thinking about 126 billion 6s 4000s in series should do nicely.:)
                  That would create a nice jolt.

Woody

Comment

Valkpilot. Please show your mathematical equations to arrive at warp drive. Are those batteries connected in series?
                    There would be a few logistical problems dealing with this battery pack.
                    Lets say we were able to wire these 126 BILLION batteries so that they could be stacked into a cube.
                    You'd have a cell generating 2.8 Trillion volts (at 4 amps)

A cube with 50,000 batteries on each side (that would be 125 billion batteries, close enough) would be:

7,000,000mm long (404 miles), 2,250,000mm wide (130 miles), 2,100,000mm tall (123 miles) and it would weigh 286,428,333,239,797.5 lbs or 143,214,166,620 tons.

Or you could imagine 679,094 container ships like this one (the OOCL Hong Kong weights in at 210,890 tons):

OOCL HONG KONG 1674.jpg

Not including the extra wire....

It might actually be difficult to find a place to put it... unless you get rid of some airplanes in TiredIron's hanger....
                    Hey... if a FW F4 Phantom would fly for 2 minutes on a 6S 4000 pack, it would be able to fly for about 490,427 years (roughly) using this pack. But it might be nose-heavy. :Nerd:
                    Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• See, too much time on my hands creates this kind of thing while I'm waiting for the blasted announcement!!
                      Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post

There would be a few logistical problems dealing with this battery pack.
                        Lets say we were able to wire these 126 BILLION batteries so that they could be stacked into a cube.
                        You'd have a cell generating 2.8 Trillion volts (at 4 amps)

A cube with 50,000 batteries on each side (that would be 125 billion batteries, close enough) would be:

7,000,000mm long (404 miles), 2,250,000mm wide (130 miles), 2,100,000mm tall (123 miles) and it would weigh 286,428,333,239,797.5 lbs or 143,214,166,620 tons.

Or you could imagine 679,094 container ships like this one (the OOCL Hong Kong weights in at 210,890 tons):

OOCL HONG KONG 1674.jpg

Not including the extra wire....

It might actually be difficult to find a place to put it... unless you get rid of some airplanes in TiredIron's hanger....
                        Hey... if a FW F4 Phantom would fly for 2 minutes on a 6S 4000 pack, it would be able to fly for about 490,427 years (roughly) using this pack. But it might be nose-heavy. :Nerd:
                        As I said in a later post, we're going to need something bigger than a Delorean.:Cool:

Comment

The warp drive metrics, in a Cartesian type coordinate chart are given by the line element:

X, Y, and Z are the components of a vector field defined in Euclidean 3-space. This is a function of the coordinates. Alcubierre (see bibliography) used, as the first mathematical example of a warp drive, the function:

where and r is a radial coordinate centered at the ship:

From this point onward it is useful to use the notation .
                          AMA 1102566

Comment

• Well DUH!!!!! Anyone should be able to see that.... But glad you noted the radial coordinate. A lot of folks make the mistake of centering it at the main point of thrust from the engines, not the center of mass of the entire ship..... Geezee :Silly:

Comment

• :):P:Cool:

Comment

• AMA 1102566

Comment

• this is like dating a girl that never puts out just bla bla bla bla:Yawn::Yawn::Not-Talking::Crying:

Comment

• Instead of batteries, Motion could lead the charge (pun intended) to revive Nikola Tesla's Tropospheric Ducting principle and RC planes could be hard wired with inductive capacitors that would store free atmospheric power...Just turn on the receiver, throttle up and there she goes for hours or until you need to hit the can...Nice to dream. Just like dreaming about Project Foil...

Comment

• Wow, just got home from work and jumped on here and can see this topic has taken a wrong turn, MRC you better hurry with that new EDF release date, some of these guys are losing it...................:):):)

Comment

• What are we talking about again?

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post
                                          Wow, just got home from work and jumped on here and can see this topic has taken a wrong turn, MRC you better hurry with that new EDF release date, some of these guys are losing it...................:):):)
                                          Well I thought I would finally get to talk advanced math and Einstein's theories but I guess not.
                                          AMA 1102566

Comment

Working...
                                          X