X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tclaridge View Post
    Well, with today's tech, maybe it is time for a Harrier? Transition is a bear though. But if you have enough thrust to hover, forward flight is going to be fast!
    There has already been research and development going on for an RC Harrier that is actually capable of vertical takes off . First in EDF form and now in turbine by different parties. So a fully functioning model will be coming to market in the not too distant future.

Comment

• Ya, but hover is easy. Forward flight is easy. It's the in between that has not been demonstrated at model scale with jet nozzles! The Harrier implementation with rotating nozzles will be tough at model scale. Same as the F-35 as it must vector the tail thrust down, blow air out side vents, and balance with a forward lift fan. The forward lift fan is easy with a prop, and vents that open and close, but the side nozzles must have constantly adjust thrust to balance in roll during hover!!

And look at all that gear to retract on the Harrier! Two pogos, nose gear, and a central main.

I am not saying it cant be done, but to get retracts and some scale detail, that is a lot of clap trap!

Comment

• Originally posted by tclaridge View Post
        Ya, but hover is easy. Forward flight is easy. It's the in between that has not been demonstrated at model scale with jet nozzles! The Harrier implementation with rotating nozzles will be tough at model scale. Same as the F-35 as it must vector the tail thrust down, blow air out side vents, and balance with a forward lift fan. The forward lift fan is easy with a prop, and vents that open and close, but the side nozzles must have constantly adjust thrust to balance in roll during hover!!

And look at all that gear to retract on the Harrier! Two pogos, nose gear, and a central main.

I am not saying it cant be done, but to get retracts and some scale detail, that is a lot of clap trap!
        The side nozzles are automatically controlled by using some type of gyro that maintains a level hover. You can see it working in detail in this video at 2:06.

Comment

• you know ive chatted with a bunch of guys that have said they have lost all interest in this foil thing...better be one hell of a great plane when it comes out

Comment

• iF iTs nOt GrEaT iM gOinG tO ScReEcH:Sick2:

Comment

• Just remember guys, that guessing what Project Foil is, was meant to be a game, not hype. The person that could figure out how the name correlated to the jet and the rationale, could win one. Nothing more.....:Whew:;)

Comment

• The clues really don’t help me at all. If I were to bet, my money would go on red 19, as in MiG 19 in 90mm.

Comment

• Maybe Alpha is doing the Rope a Dope thing with project foil....We get all punched out then WHAMMMMMM we are running for the pre order page screaming take my monies...... I would not put this past him as he is a sly one with a little devil side...:Devil:
                  You can picture him rubbing his hands together and talking in best mad scientist voice. " Yes, Yes, My plan is working.." ;)

Click image for larger version  Name:	YoungFrank_583x336.png Views:	1 Size:	245.9 KB ID:	149159

Comment

• you might have something there

Comment

• Next week everybody.............

Comment

• Originally posted by wolpertinger View Post
                        Maybe Alpha is doing the Rope a Dope thing with project foil....We get all punched out then WHAMMMMMM we are running for the pre order page screaming take my monies...... I would not put this past him as he is a sly one with a little devil side...:Devil:
                        You can picture him rubbing his hands together and talking in best mad scientist voice. " Yes, Yes, My plan is working.." ;)

Click image for larger version Name:	YoungFrank_583x336.png Views:	1 Size:	245.9 KB ID:	149159
                        I've figured out who Alpha REALLY is.

Comment

• The thing about Project Foil was that I think it was supposed to be released prior to the F-4, but a manufacturing issue caused a stop in production so that a revision could be made. This is just a guess by me, but it is unusual these days for Alpha to drop a hint of a new plane and it not be officially announced shortly thereafter. This is my opinion only, so take it for what it's worth. And my other guess is that since it's taking some time to be released, it's going to be an 80 or 90mm bird. If it was a 64mm it would have been out long ago.
                          Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                            The thing about Project Foil was that I think it was supposed to be released prior to the F-4, but a manufacturing issue caused a stop in production so that a revision could be made. This is just a guess by me, but it is unusual these days for Alpha to drop a hint of a new plane and it not be officially announced shortly thereafter. This is my opinion only, so take it for what it's worth. And my other guess is that since it's taking some time to be released, it's going to be an 80 or 90mm bird. If it was a 64mm it would have been out long ago.
                            Aside from the events where it was supposed to be announced that were cancelled, the "trade war" might have mucked it up. Though still got my fingers crossed for a 64 mm or 70 mm 4S

Comment

• Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• I am guessing project Foil will likely be at a minimum a 80mm since we already got the 90mm F-4 unless they are doing something really special. Most announced projects have ended up being 80mm-90mm. But don't worry there might very well be some other 64mm and 70mm in the pipe line coming soon also. But I do feel like its around the corner. So have patience everyone!

Comment

• id go for a 80 for sure...that mig idear is interesting

Comment

• If FOIL is released soon, will we ever get any closure/rationale on the clues Alpha gave? I want us all to have that "Aha" moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by purduephigam View Post
                                      If FOIL is released soon, will we ever get any closure/rationale on the clues Alpha gave? I want us all to have that "Aha" moment.
                                      Yes. If you go back to the start of official model announcement post for the F-4 Phantom and A-4 Sky hawk you will see the project name at the top. The F-4 was "Project Bond" and the A-4 was "Project Vertue"

Comment

• I feel a L-39 or F-22 coming on. Bring itttttttttt :Drooling:

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
                                          I feel a L-39 or F-22 coming on. Bring itttttttttt :Drooling:
                                          You know I was seriously thinking of what the clue is referring to in the project name "Foil" today and the conclusion that made more sense was a plane that can foil radar signatures. So that only narrows it down to four airplanes.
                                          1. F-117 Nighthawk
                                          2. F-22 Raptor
                                          3. B-2 Spirt
                                          4. F-35 Lighting II

My bet is on the F-22 out of the four. I don't care much for the F-35A unless its the B variant with fully functioning VTOL capabilities.

Click image for larger version  Name:	F-22 Raptor.jpg Views:	1 Size:	49.0 KB ID:	149273

Comment

Working...
                                          X