X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tclaridge View Post
    The Mig 25 was designed to "FOIL" the SR-71. It was known that the engines would be destroyed on the intercept. However, it still couldn't catch the SR-71, so in a sense, the SR-71 "FOILED" the Mig 25. If MotionRC releases a twin 80mm Mig-25 or SR-71, WOW! My bank account will be "FOILED."
    No it was intended to intercept the B-58 and XB-70. The project started a year before Soviet intelligence found out about the Blackbird.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

Actually more like an F-5/T-38 and an A-4
      Need some sport jet blood in there...

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

It would be like what would happen if an Avanti and A-4 got together and had a baby....:Silly:LOL
        Steve, that's a T-45..........:)

Comment

• There is a B-58 in the desert somewhere so maybe that? like in post 1179?

Comment

• Alpha, your post was perfectly put. I think it's cool that you whittled away a couple of guesses too.

Guys, an L-39 doesn't seem likely to me. The T-45 and BAe Hawk have that slot pretty well suited, I'd say.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
              It's not a Blackbird, sadly. Until black paint plays well with EPO foam, it's out of the question for us. And it's not a Foxbat, either, although that would be fun!

I recognize that this guessing game can be fun for some (such as those who asked for it) and not fun for others as time goes on. As I often say, our production calendar is always full and stretches years, so amid all the speculative fun don't get too hung up on waiting out any single Project. I must remind myself that this hobby we all love won't be reinvigorated by any single golden model or any rapid fire procession of a specific series. Rather, it will be reinvigorated only by each of us sharing the joy of flight with those around us, one new pilot at a time. So dust off that F-14, or click Buy on that FW Hawk or LX Blackbird or FMS Hornet, and go wow some new stranger at the local flying field.

And remember, the more we fly, the more we cra---I mean make space in the garage.

​​​​
              Insightful words Alpha! And Yes, black is such a pain. Grey and green so much easier on that He-162, wasn't it? especially on that anhedral tipped wing FOIL. eah, I'm trying here.

LOL

Comment

sadly. Until black paint plays well with EPO foam, it's out of the question for
                OH BALLS.................No Flight Line 1600 P-61 Black Widow either. :P
                That's fine Alpha cause it makes more room for the design efforts of the :ov10 ;):)
                Now back to the topic of the "Foil" EDF LOL
                Warbird Charlie
                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• RCjetdude should be pumped because his custom F-117 won’t have a smaller brother any time very soon. LOL

Comment

• Their were some jets that were sold by the fruit stand that had a thin plastic coating over them. Albeit heavy (er) I am positive that FW is looking into sheilding the foam surface. The shell could actually be precolored to lessen the weight even more and would only need to be on the top....unless you fly inverted for extended periods....lol
                    And airflow would carry the heat away.

Vacuum form. Dipped. Sprayed. Laminated.
                    New type of foam. Ok....I will say it " Built up "
                    Its all possible. Hint...Hint....I like Tiger Meet
                    Alpha.

Pete

Comment

• Originally posted by Pete Lane View Post
                      Their were some jets that were sold by the fruit stand that had a thin plastic coating over them. Albeit heavy (er) I am positive that FW is looking into sheilding the foam surface. The shell could actually be precolored to lessen the weight even more and would only need to be on the top....unless you fly inverted for extended periods....lol

Alpha.

Pete
                      I completely agree with your thinking. Just because the usual way of of doing things does not work well with black paint doesn't mean it can't be done.
                      The real life SR-71 is a perfect example of an aircraft that had to be constructed using different materials and methods such as titanium to be able to withstand the high temperatures it was going to be exposed to.
                      If they really put their minds to it they could find the best possible method to apply black paint to foam to withstand sunlight heat.

Comment

• Thanks for your support. Its thoughts like these that our community collectively disscuses that have helped all manufactures build the products we use today. I wanted to focus on the five " M's " of manufacturing for a bit. These are.
                        1- Man
                        2- Materials
                        3- Managment
                        4- Mother Nature
                        5- Methods

When their are issues. The root cause can usually be attributed to one or several of these. Sure their are others, such as Money.
                        Since we are talking about a green house effect lets take the popcorned cockpit for instance. Its the worse case scenario.

Comment

• Their are solutions such as card stock. Gun metal.
                          Epoxy coating. And tub liners to cure the problem.
                          So its imperative that we find what works best in that situation and then try to mimic it on the exterior top surface of the model aircraft.

Thoughts ?

Pete

Comment

• Originally posted by Pete Lane View Post
                            Their were some jets that were sold by the fruit stand that had a thin plastic coating over them. Albeit heavy (er) I am positive that FW is looking into sheilding the foam surface. The shell could actually be precolored to lessen the weight even more and would only need to be on the top....unless you fly inverted for extended periods....lol

Alpha.

Pete
                            Lanier used to sell several models with foam core wings wrapped in thin plastic sheet. (to give the effect of balsa skin on the old styro wing cores)
                            These were overweight in general and thus had disappointing performance.

Thinner wrap with more modern adhesive would potentially give the desired result without excess weight but doing the product development would be expensive and take time.

FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Indeed.
                              I had a Lanier Transit back in the day and it was actually very robust with the coating on it.
                              If the golden goal was to first develop a black SR71 then the R&D costs could be kept within reason
                              and perhaps expanded to other aircraft later, Speaking of Alpha,,,,,Alpha models had a line
                              of EDF models that had a very smooth egg carton like coating and I don't remember them
                              ever gatoring. I wonder if its at all possible to pre gator the foam so its stable and then laminate
                              some black depron over it as I don't think depron puffs up either ?

Pete

Comment

• a light weight dent resistant skin would be the holey Grail for foam planes, no one has come up with a good solution yet. You have to think that sooner or later this has to happen, looking forward to it.
                                rc flyin addict

Comment

• I've experimenting with some success laminating the cockpit of my Carbon Z T-28 with a lightweight fiberglass and using polyurethane sanding sealer. Since most of the weight of the polyurethane is water, when it dried it was very light. It wasn't hard like epoxy fiberglass, but I think it might be better in this case to have a more flexible covering.

I'm not sure it would work well on a wing, but for some applications it seems to work well.
                                  Last edited by Gilatrout; Aug 31, 2018, 09:04 PM. Reason: Edited because autocorrect wasn't correct

Comment

It's not a Blackbird, sadly. Until black paint plays well with EPO foam, it's out of the question for us. And it's not a Foxbat, either, although that would be fun!

I recognize that this guessing game can be fun for some (such as those who asked for it) and not fun for others as time goes on. As I often say, our production calendar is always full and stretches years, so amid all the speculative fun don't get too hung up on waiting out any single Project. I must remind myself that this hobby we all love won't be reinvigorated by any single golden model or any rapid fire procession of a specific series. Rather, it will be reinvigorated only by each of us sharing the joy of flight with those around us, one new pilot at a time. So dust off that F-14, or click Buy on that FW Hawk or LX Blackbird or FMS Hornet, and go wow some new stranger at the local flying field.

And remember, the more we fly, the more we cra---I mean make space in the garage.

​​​​
                                    Well, you didn't say it wasn't an F-111, so *maybe* I'm on the money given the hints? Definitely a SEA combat bird that foiled TSR-2 production, which you held a model of....

Comment

• I have done a few planes with light cloth and minwax polyacrilic. It comes out nice but takes allot more time than I'm willing to spend. I did eps but never epo foam. A dip or spray would be the bast case IMHO to have a protective coating applied economically.
                                      rc flyin addict

Comment

• I've said f111 for a while now, that really would be cool

Comment

• Thanks for the Replies and feedback Pilots. It is not my intention to derail this thread, although it is my intent to try to advance Aeromodeling as a whole.
                                          As stated, everyone benefits . Perhaps the answer lies elsewhere .....we are dealing with direct sun lite actually cooking the foam and it just boils up.
                                          As with our own skin protection they say " Pick your cover " I.E. Hat....Tent...sunscreen etc. Perhaps a sunscreen can be added to the foam or paint
                                          top coat to repel the rays as I already know it is effective in modern clear coats for automobiles. Hmmm.... reminds me of the plasti dip commercial.
                                          The key here is minimal weight and maximum protection. I don't intend to wait for that and am going to start my own experiments.
                                          I am not sure a flat black plastic shell is going to solve this problem either, as I have seen warpage on some of my own parts,

Their is a system that is found in kindles and note books that charges the screen particles just once, causing them to stand at attention.
                                          The voltage is then taken away but the image remains.
                                          Its akin to a magnet and ferrite particles on the paper trick or even rubbing suede one way or another. Maybe the paint of the future can
                                          be convinced to do so ?
                                          It would then be black only on command.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                                          X