First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paul really nailed the chutes.

Comment

Hi,
      I will be selling uncut drag chute kits with all the materials and directions for $40 shipped.

You will receive,
      1.Drag chute with drawn cut out lines and or ribbon lines.
      2.10 yards of suspension line.
      3. 5 inches of shrink tubing.
      4.12 inches of 1/8 elastic band.
      5. 5 yards of double faced1/8 ribbon.
      6. 2 inches of 1/4 elastic band.
      7. 4 metal rings

Items that are needed to build.

Sewing machine
      Rotary razor
      Hobby Cutting Mat
      Super glue
      Thin CA
      3M adhesive
      Fabric Temp Tac
      Needle and thread
      Blue masking tape
      Talcum or Baby Power

The build is roughly four hours.

If you are interest in the kit please drop me a PM.

Thanks,
      Paul

Comment

Hi,
        The completed drag chute price for the Freewing F-4 Phantom will be $175 + $4 shipping.
        The only drag chute colors are red&white and solid yellow.

Thanks,
        Paul

Comment

Hi,

Here are some of the directions on how I go about making the drag chute for the Freewing F-4 Phantom.

The short kit comes with all the materials for building. I have penciled in all the cut lines and ribbon placement lines.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E5712.JPG Views:	1 Size:	80.6 KB ID:	170163
          First lightly spray with spray mount. I usually spray one sec from three feet above cutting board. Then apply material to the cutting board.
          Make sure to smooth out material nice and flat.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E5710.JPG Views:	1 Size:	80.8 KB ID:	170162
          Using a rotary razor cut all slots, outer and center.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5715.JPG Views:	1 Size:	94.6 KB ID:	170164
          Cut 10 pieces of 1/16 ribbon at 20 inch lengths and place on a surface to be sprayed with adhesive. I spray about 18.5 exposed and the rest is covered
          with tape on end for better handling. Make 3 or 4 passes of adhesive.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E5707.JPG Views:	1 Size:	50.9 KB ID:	170165
          Now a apply ribbons quickly while adhesive is tacky onto the marked lines starting with a cross hair pattern then starting anywhere from left to right clockwise.
          Press ribbon onto material. Don't worry about the ribbon tails being to even because they will be trimmed to about an inch later.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5716.JPG Views:	1 Size:	95.5 KB ID:	170166
          Now the fun part... slowly start peeling the material off the cutting board, ribbons will come off so be careful. The idea of gluing the ribbons is to aid during sewing.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E5719.JPG Views:	1 Size:	95.8 KB ID:	170167
          I then set the chute to the side and flip the mat over and add some baby/talcum powder placing the chute glued side down to kill off the glue residue.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5720.JPG Views:	1 Size:	89.7 KB ID:	170168
          Next I take a poster board and iron to insure glue from the ribbons set better before sewing.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5722.JPG Views:	1 Size:	45.8 KB ID:	170169
          Cut ribbon tails to one inch all the way around and singe ends.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E5721.JPG Views:	1 Size:	69.1 KB ID:	170170
          Time to sew. Straight stitch and back stitch at the beginning, center and end of each ribbon.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	image_33555.jpg
Views:	1693
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	170171Click image for larger version

Name:	image_33556.jpg
Views:	1727
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	170172Click image for larger version

Name:	image_33557.jpg
Views:	1701
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	170173
          Now you are just about halfway done with your chute. Place to the side and get ready for suspension lines, shock and finally assembly.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5733.JPG Views:	1 Size:	98.4 KB ID:	170175

Comment

This is great Paul. A lot of work goes into making one of these for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
              This is great Paul. A lot of work goes into making one of these for sure.
              Thanks Steve and no doubt! You for one would know about the process ;):Cool:
              How’s your drag chute holding up? I think I folded mine up about 30 times during the past season. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Helmsman52 View Post

Thanks Steve and no doubt! You for one would know about the process ;):Cool:
                How’s your drag chute holding up? I think I folded mine up about 30 times during the past season. :)
                Mine is doing fine. Hanging on the back end of my F-4 waiting for the next opportunity.

Comment

Hi,

Here is part two directions on the Freewing F-4 drag chute.

Building the suspension lines. Cut twenty 18 inch lines and begin sewing with needle and thread a 3/8 loop on each end making two
                  stitches, then thin CA, cut loose ends, slip shrink tube on and heat. Cut all shrink tube at 1.5 inches.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E5747.JPG
Views:	1424
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	170365Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E5748.JPG
Views:	1470
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	170366

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_33596.jpg Views:	1 Size:	87.7 KB ID:	170350Click image for larger version  Name:	image_33597.jpg Views:	1 Size:	71.4 KB ID:	170351Click image for larger version  Name:	image_33598.jpg Views:	1 Size:	72.2 KB ID:	170352
                  Now make about 20 lines about 15 inches long with the small shrink on on side only.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E5762.JPG Views:	1 Size:	142.6 KB ID:	170349
                  Now in groups of five and use larger shrink and heat. Make a total of four groups.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E5763.JPG Views:	1 Size:	92.8 KB ID:	170355Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E5764.JPG Views:	1 Size:	83.3 KB ID:	170356
                  For the riser. Cut 9.5 inches of the 1/8 elastic line and four at 1.5 inches. Super glue all four 1.5 inch pieces 1/4 inch on to the end of the 9.5 inch piece then wrap the 1/4 piece in place.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E5766.JPG Views:	1 Size:	83.6 KB ID:	170357Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5767.JPG Views:	1 Size:	103.9 KB ID:	170360Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5768.JPG Views:	1 Size:	97.3 KB ID:	170359Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5769.JPG Views:	1 Size:	97.7 KB ID:	170358

Comment

Originally posted by Helmsman52 View Post
                    Hi,
                    I will be selling uncut drag chute kits with all the materials and directions for $40 + shipping.

You will receive,
                    1.Drag chute with drawn cut out lines and or ribbon lines.
                    2.10 yards of suspension line.
                    3. 5 pieces of shrink tubing.
                    4.18 inches of 1/8 elastic band.
                    5. 5.5 yards of double faced1/16 ribbon.
                    6. 1.5 inches of 1/4 elastic band.
                    7. 4 metal rings

Items that are needed to build.

Sewing machine
                    Rotary razor
                    Hobby Cutting Mat
                    Super glue
                    Thin CA
                    3M adhesive
                    Fabric Temp Tac
                    Needle and thread
                    Blue masking tape
                    Talcum or Baby Power

The build is roughly four hours.

If you are interest in the kit please drop me a PM.

Thanks,
                    Paul
                    Edited materials and shipping.

Thanks,
                    Paul

Comment

Hi,
                      Here is the final part of the drag chute build.
                      Lay chute flat with ribbon facing up. Bend ribbon ends about a 1/4 inch of the ribbon and slip line over and CA closed. Note, make sure there's a loop on the ribbon end and not glue. Do all four sets of line keeping them in order and then turn over material with ribbon facing down.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5882.JPG Views:	1 Size:	60.2 KB ID:	171607Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5884.JPG Views:	1 Size:	41.6 KB ID:	171608Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E5885.JPG Views:	1 Size:	89.4 KB ID:	171606Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5886.JPG Views:	2 Size:	88.4 KB ID:	171609
                      Next place the metal ring over one of the riser ends... fold and CA leaving a small loop at the top of each.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5891.JPG Views:	1 Size:	62.3 KB ID:	171612Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5892.JPG Views:	1 Size:	72.3 KB ID:	171611

Next Make sure lines are in order as per pic. Now attach all four sets to each ring and CA the rest of the the riser opening.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5888.JPG Views:	1 Size:	57.5 KB ID:	171613Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5894.JPG Views:	1 Size:	59.5 KB ID:	171614
                      Next make a loop at the end of your riser line and hand sew about 5 stitches. This is for securing the drag chute.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5895.JPG Views:	1 Size:	53.3 KB ID:	171616Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E5897.JPG Views:	1 Size:	89.1 KB ID:	171615
                      Drag Chute completed.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5898.JPG Views:	1 Size:	67.6 KB ID:	171617
                      Attached Files

Comment

Very interesting, I don't currently have the FW F-4 therefore no reference as to how the installment and deployment of this shoot. I do have the LX F-4, but am still at a loss as to how I would install it. I know that the FW F-4 is larger than the LX, I am curious as to how the actual plane was modified to accept the shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom View Post
                          Very interesting, I don't currently have the FW F-4 therefore no reference as to how the installment and deployment of this shoot. I do have the LX F-4, but am still at a loss as to how I would install it. I know that the FW F-4 is larger than the LX, I am curious as to how the actual plane was modified to accept the shoot.
                          Check out page 1 of this thread, RCJetDude provided pictures of almost every step. It's really cool to see in action

Comment

Wilco thanks, I should have gone back earlier. I just realized I repeatedly used the wrong spelling for chute lol :Silly:

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom View Post
                              Wilco thanks, I should have gone back earlier. I just realized I repeatedly used the wrong spelling for chute lol :Silly:
                              I just noticed you are in S. Korea. I visit there a few times a year and was looking for a place to fly an EDF jet. I usually stay in Goyang or Nonsan. Where do you fly? Thx! -Den
                              There are hundreds of RC aviation videos viewable here; WBRC

Comment

Originally posted by WrightBrosRC View Post

I just noticed you are in S. Korea. I visit there a few times a year and was looking for a place to fly an EDF jet. I usually stay in Goyang or Nonsan. Where do you fly? Thx! -Den
                                I’ve been to K-8 a few times back in the late 90’s and had my share of hanging out in A-town... good times ;)

Comment

WrightBrosRC, Goyang is about 80k north of me and Nonsan is in the opposite direction about 100k to the south of me. The Koreans have two fields that I am aware of near Goyang, you'd have to travel south from Goyang to the southern bank of the Han river and then head east of the Chinook killer bridge, if your familiar with that particular landmark. If not, Lotte Tower, the tallest building in S. Korea, is a good land mark to use. Both of these fields are along the Han river bank, southern side, just north of K-16, Seoul AB.

As for Nonsan, it is pretty close to K-8 Kusan AFB, Helmsman52's old haunt. Don't know of any RC airfields around there but just about everything west of Nonsang, in regards to topography, stays pretty flat all the way to the Yellow Sea, Koreans call it the West Sea. I say this because the first time I was stationed over her around 2009, I would fly where ever I could. I was flying rotary wing on that tour and that's how I found my locations to fly RC. Be respectful and the Koreans would let you fly anywhere, there is no crazed fear of the killer drones here in Korea like back home.

I only know of three other fields in Korea, one just west of Daegu in the SE, also on the bank of the river, one that the Koreans fly turbine jets out of about an hour and a half east of me on a dried up lake bed. Last but not least the airfield I fly at which is about 15 mics east from my place, K-6, Camp Humphreys. It is an abandoned lumpy asphalt parking lot with shear drop offs, from 30ft graduating to 60ft on 3 sides down to rice paddies. Hence the nickname that I have given it, the "aircraft carrier." You either make the deck or take the walk of shame down to the rice paddies to pick up the pieces lol.

Comment

Many Thx Phantom! Thats some great info there. Much appreciated!
                                    There are hundreds of RC aviation videos viewable here; WBRC

Comment

No worries, next time you're over here send me a message and I'll drop you some pins from waze or Naver.

Comment

PM's sent to RCJetdude and Helmsman

Comment

I am really impressed on how well this is all thought out. Definitely done by someone much smarter than me. I cannot figure out the 2mm tapped screw hole. How long of a screw is needed and how is it used? I assume I need a hole in the CF ejection tube as well?
                                          Does anyone have pictures of the screw install or can explain it to carefully to me? Thank You
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X