X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
    Took it out this morning along with my Phantom...I put my RunCam on the canopy facing aft. Really nice perspective, I like it a lot. But that bird does NOT like the tank and missiles. The camera added some nose heaviness. The flight felt "off" from the start. Weird lateral trim issue and flew super nose heavy. After the flight I removed all the cool looking but draggy stuff from her and flew her clean. MUCH better. So the armament and tank will be retired from here on out unless sitting static.

Late to the thread, and new to the hobby, but looking at this as my second EDF. Have the FMS T-45 and it's a blast. Also have a 1.2M P51, 1400mm Corsair and 1600mm Spit. Just wanted to say that most come with all this draggy crap you can hang on 'em. I'm a former Navy Phantom pilot and wanted to say whatever jets we were actually flying we LOVED getting to fly them slick. If for some reason we got a flight with no tanks, every airplane performed way better. So I don't hang tanks on anything. I throw them away. They're not cool bombs. It's just gas. And on the models, fake gas at that.

I leave 'em off. Fly slick. Fly fast.

Comment

Thank you for your military service and sacrifice, CurlyCulp! I like flying clean as well on most of my models. I reserve the ordnance mostly for static display unless it's on a Viper wingtip or similar, and rarely bring out the [fake] gas bags.
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Yes, thank you for your service CurlyCulp and welcome to Hobby Squawk! Frankly I rarely fly any of my jets dirty. However, some can handle the drag without much visual notice while others absolutely not. I found that this FMS F-18 flies just as good (as far as I can tell) with the one center tank as it does clean. I didn't have the heart to remove the center tank painted up as a Jolly Roger as it's black, totally menacing with the message "FEAR THE BONE" on both sides. Sold!

LOL
        My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Just finishing this one. Any motherhood on the CG? Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	982
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	173591

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
            Man you like toying with them light poles, wow another close one!
            God I SAW that too!!

Comment

Originally posted by curlyculp View Post

God I SAW that too!!
              Welcome aboard brother

Comment

mine came in the other day...in texas lol...iam in Mississippi till the 30th, will get on it as soon as I get back..love the tail art. we didn't have much art in t28's lol

Comment

Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                  Yes, thank you for your service CurlyCulp and welcome to Hobby Squawk! Frankly I rarely fly any of my jets dirty. However, some can handle the drag without much visual notice while others absolutely not. I found that this FMS F-18 flies just as good (as far as I can tell) with the one center tank as it does clean. I didn't have the heart to remove the center tank painted up as a Jolly Roger as it's black, totally menacing with the message "FEAR THE BONE" on both sides. Sold!

LOL
                  The vast majority of the time we flew with the center tank and it looks good. If they ever restart production of the ghost grey phantom, I'll find someone who will sell me one.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ryb23.jpg
Views:	870
Size:	397.3 KB
ID:	191450 callie graphics came through again for me...decided not to paint the upper fuse as I am either lazy or just old...I forget..first pic is the real plane u can see the black top but I like the gray now that I can see the plane airborn Click image for larger version  Name:	vfa31.jpg Views:	0 Size:	130.8 KB ID:	191405Click image for larger version  Name:	ryb20.jpg Views:	0 Size:	157.2 KB ID:	191406Click image for larger version  Name:	ryb21.jpg Views:	0 Size:	483.8 KB ID:	191407Click image for larger version  Name:	ryb22.jpg Views:	0 Size:	377.1 KB ID:	191408

Comment

Looks great!
                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Looking sharp! I remember that tail flash from a plastic F-14 kit I built ages ago.
                        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

thanks guys..its all callie graphics after you rattle can the red and black...

Comment

Got mine moving really good now with its new set up. Videos from last weekend... Also note that the battery on all but one flight is a 6s 30c 4000mah pack... and look at the thing go!! High C packs are not always needed....

Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                            I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

I assume a grass field would be out for this bird, right? The wheels look pretty small...

Comment

Short grass is probably doable with flaps.
                                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Sanford View Post
                                  I assume a grass field would be out for this bird, right? The wheels look pretty small...
                                  Check out post #52 in this thread. Rifleman flies his off of a rough grass strip

Comment

Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post

Check out post #52 in this thread. Rifleman flies his off of a rough grass strip
                                    Thanks for pointing me to that post. Interesting!

I wonder how well the gear will hold up flying there? I was looking at the FMS 70mm Yak v2 mainly due to the trailing link suspension as well as having slightly bigger wheels than the F-18, but I like the looks of the F-18 better...

Comment

Name:	7035813B-8936-4D2A-89C1-9273F1DB51E8.jpeg
Views:	958
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	192462 Great flying plane and great power! I added 300g worth of 3D printed parts to make mine a Growler.

Comment

Originally posted by OsideRCflyer View Post

ID:	192462 Great flying plane and great power! I added 300g worth of 3D printed parts to make mine a Growler.
                                        WOW that looks really good! I am going to get some missiles 3D printed for mine... I will post my videos here in a bit once they get published. My plane is ripping around here pretty good now that I have the new set up in there!! Lots more whoosh out of the exhaust now but still 4+ min flight times on my 4000s!
                                        Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                                        I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

Originally posted by OsideRCflyer View Post

That is fantastic. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	795
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	192501 Those parts look so great on your jet. Any chance you'd print another set of ALQ-99 pods?! Did mine as a Growler also, but those jamming pods would make all the difference.

Comment

Working...
                                          X