Callie Graphics

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please give me your thoughts on my next "possible" next project (B-58 Hustler) .........

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's awesome. Thanks Elbee!

EAA# 1366802
    AMA# 631508

https://vf59.weebly.com/

Comment

Anyone attempting to attempt to attempt a flying EDF B-58 Hustler should contact Dorian Anderson, he's the only one who built one that I saw up close and watched fly. Some of my pictures and input are in the other B-58 thread on this forum:

https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...-hustler/page2

I don't have Dorian's photo number on my current phone but perhaps TheRCGeek does. Dorian is a master craftsman like TheRCGeek and he built a wood and composite 4x70mm super scale B-58. It was stunningly gorgeous. I also watched it fly... there are videos on YouTube of him flying it at Big Jolt in 2012 or 2013.
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
        Anyone attempting to attempt to attempt a flying EDF B-58 Hustler should contact Dorian Anderson, he's the only one who built one that I saw up close and watched fly. Some of my pictures and input are in the other B-58 thread on this forum:

https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...-hustler/page2

I don't have Dorian's photo number on my current phone but perhaps TheRCGeek does. Dorian is a master craftsman like TheRCGeek and he built a wood and composite 4x70mm super scale B-58. It was stunningly gorgeous. I also watched it fly... there are videos on YouTube of him flying it at Big Jolt in 2012 or 2013.
        NICE!!!!! Thanks Alpha. I will try to contact him.

EAA# 1366802
        AMA# 631508

Comment

Just look at the size of the FW AL 37, huge plane flies with a pair of 70mm on one 6s battery

Comment

Originally posted by MANFRED View Post
            Just look at the size of the FW AL 37, huge plane flies with a pair of 70mm on one 6s battery
            Good point. However that is a foamie and mine will be all balsa built up. There will some what of a weight difference.

EAA# 1366802
            AMA# 631508

Comment

you could always shape it with foam then glass it with .5 oz cloth. would still be lighter than built up and glassed.

Comment

Probably the ultimate RC B-58 ever built was the glow ducted fan one done here in North Texas in the 1980s-1990s. This was designed by Lynn McCauley and built by him, with assistance in various areas from Butch Sickels and Charlie Fondin, (Charlie also worked on the B-58 program back in the day at Convair in Fort Worth) Lynn was always noted for his super landing gear designs and construction and this model featured exact scale B-58 retracts, which is pretty tough to do.

Lynn and Charlie have passed away, but Butch is still around.

I saw it fly before the flight in the video, where it crashed. As I recall, the crash was due to some sort of servo or radio problem, The fans did idle down just before the crash.

A mold was made (fuse and nacelles) and it eventually went to JetMart in GA, where is was briefly advertised for sale as a kit. Butch Sickles made another mold and built another one, but unsure of its status.

This B-58 was 12 feet long, making it right at 1/8th scale. Lynn built it with the correct conical camber delta wing, done in foam and balsa, glassed. It was powered by four glow OS .46 DF motors, using Viojet impellers cut down to about 4" in homebrew housings. The static thrust was about 7lbs each, for an installed thrust of about 28 lbs.

My co-worker and flying buddy, Dave Hudson, who sits about 20 feet from me, was the pilot.He has said that is was a great flyer.

I believe one of the fans quit in this linked video, so the last part of the flight was on three DFs. (Not why it crashed) The model flew very well. The aircraft is clean enough that one appropriately sized would NOT be a powered glider on 6S 90mm fans, or even on 6s 80mm fans.

Video With original Sound track! Magnificent Convair B-58 Hustler RC bomber built by Lynn McCauley makes it's last flight on 4-25-1995. The plane had won sev...

Comment

WOW. this is some really good info. I'm not far from you in Longview. Guys, as I look into this further and further, I'm starting to get the jitters about tackling such a big project. This will be quite an exhausting task. hmmmmm, I'd sure like to build one though.

https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-...8-hustler.html

EAA# 1366802
                  AMA# 631508

Comment

One more comment. On the subject of airfoil, I would strongly suggest using the scale airfoil with the conical camber. It worked well on the model in the video. Also, without the conical camber leading edge, it will never look right.

I own a small delta electric prop model (tractor) that has a conical camber wing just like the B-58. It flies great.

Comment

Originally posted by tab28682 View Post
                      One more comment. On the subject of airfoil, I would strongly suggest using the scale airfoil with the conical camber. It worked well on the model in the video. Also, without the conical camber leading edge, it will never look right.

I own a small delta electric prop model (tractor) that has a conical camber wing just like the B-58. It flies great.
                      I will keep that in mind as well. Thanks for the input. It is appreciated.

EAA# 1366802
                      AMA# 631508

Comment

I am going to do some sort of B-58 at some point, as part of my project to buy or build a model of each aircraft ever produced at Air Force Plant Four here in Fort Worth, where I currently work for Lockheed Martin.

The B-24, the F-16, the F-35 and the F-22 are easy. Thank you Freewing and Motion RC.
                        I have an RB-57F about 2/3rds completed.
                        Will likely do some version of Keith Sparks Parkflyer Plastics B-58, likely with twin EDFs. It is a nice flying model. will be hand or bungee launched.
                        That leaves me having to plan build or scratch build a B-32 Dominator, a B-36 and an F-111.

Also collecting a number of the older and iconic Lockheed aircraft. I have the FW T-33, a second T-33 that will be converted to a P-80, a 70mm F-104, an LX SR-71 and a NASA ER-2 from the Phase 3 kit. Will pick up a FL P-38 at some point.

Best of luck with your B-58 project.

BTW, we are having an all jet fly in at Thunderbird Field in Fort Worth on Saturday, October 24. 480 foot paved runway. I predict a few turbines and a lot of EDFs. I will have 8-10 EDFs there.

Comment

Originally posted by tab28682 View Post
                          I am going to do some sort of B-58 at some point, as part of my project to buy or build a model of each aircraft ever produced at Air Force Plant Four here in Fort Worth, where I currently work for Lockheed Martin.

The B-24, the F-16, the F-35 and the F-22 are easy. Thank you Freewing and Motion RC.
                          I have an RB-57F about 2/3rds completed.
                          Will likely do some version of Keith Sparks Parkflyer Plastics B-58, likely with twin EDFs. It is a nice flying model. will be hand or bungee launched.
                          That leaves me having to plan build or scratch build a B-32 Dominator, a B-36 and an F-111.

Also collecting a number of the older and iconic Lockheed aircraft. I have the FW T-33, a second T-33 that will be converted to a P-80, a 70mm F-104, an LX SR-71 and a NASA ER-2 from the Phase 3 kit. Will pick up a FL P-38 at some point.

Best of luck with your B-58 project.

BTW, we are having an all jet fly in at Thunderbird Field in Fort Worth on Saturday, October 24. 480 foot paved runway. I predict a few turbines and a lot of EDFs. I will have 8-10 EDFs there.
                          WOW, you have my dream job. Like you, I love all the same jets.

I have an email into Dorian Anderson hoping for more documentation on the B-58. Unless I can locate some more full scale engineering and or R/C info i'm not sure I will continue the project. The drawing I posted in my OP just isn't detailed enough for me base my design on.

Thanks,

EAA# 1366802
                          AMA# 631508

Comment

If you need more technical info I'm sure we can come up with something! Just a hurdle to overcome. What elements are you lacking?

Comment

Originally posted by Beeg View Post
                              If you need more technical info I'm sure we can come up with something! Just a hurdle to overcome. What elements are you lacking?
                              Mainly, I am looking for the accurate airfoils, airfoil stations, flap details, leading edge details, and details on the LG. Thanks Beeg

EAA# 1366802
                              AMA# 631508

Comment

Originally posted by CVA59 View Post

Mainly, I am looking for the accurate airfoils, airfoil stations, flap details, leading edge details, and details on the LG. Thanks Beeg
                                You might try contacting Butch Sickels. He built a large glow powered B-58 with scale gear in the 80s. I believe he still has plans and info on hand. His contact info is here: http://www.tech-mp.com/BS.htm

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post

You might try contacting Butch Sickels. He built a large glow powered B-58 with scale gear in the 80s. I believe he still has plans and info on hand. His contact info is here: http://www.tech-mp.com/BS.htm
                                  Awesome, that for the info. I will do that!

EAA# 1366802
                                  AMA# 631508

Comment

*****UPDATE****** Guys, I have decided to put this project on hold for now. There is just too much chaos going on in the world and with so many distractions right now, I do not feel I can dedicate the time and money to such a project and do it right as such a project deserves. I will repost when I get it going again. Thank you all for commenting and sharing your interest in this awesome bird.

EAA# 1366802
                                    AMA# 631508

Comment

Originally posted by CVA59 View Post
                                      *****UPDATE****** Guys, I have decided to put this project on hold for now. There is just too much chaos going on in the world and with so many distractions right now, I do not feel I can dedicate the time and money to such a project and do it right as such a project deserves. I will repost when I get it going again. Thank you all for commenting and sharing your interest in this awesome bird.
                                      Well, if you still want the coolest EDF at your local club you can get Keith Sparks sport scale belly lander.
                                      Park Flyer Plastics B-58 EDF with plans - The B-58 is a foam sheet and balsa constructed model designed for either ducted fan power or the more affordable pusher prop. The model has no landing gear and slides on the nacelles like a floatplane. This weight savings enables the model to be hand launched by a fellow modeler

Click image for larger version

Name:	58 ouch 001.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	246293

Comment

Always wanted a edf version. 120mm 90mm 70mm maybe a eurofighter version. With bomb drops and lighting.

Comment

Working...
                                        X