You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The RCINFORMER FREEWING F-14 Thread for any and all Q&A on the Freewing F-14 TOMCAT

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The RCINFORMER FREEWING F-14 Thread for any and all Q&A on the Freewing F-14 TOMCAT

Hey Folks, I am trying to Get out all the information on the Freewing F-14 that I have included in my videos and circulated around, for folks that would like to ask questions and get help on this epic model. I have put in a lot of effort on this model and wanted to share everything about it and some of the improvements I have made to it. I have made many Improvements to the model that many may have already seen. I wanted to create a place where folks can ask questions and get help:)

Here are the videos I have created so far:

Unboxing► https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnygfe48tXs

Assembly► https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77Ue4We-B5s

1st Flight► https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNjviFTK1Tg

2nd Flight► https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hko89Pb_QDc

3rd Flight► https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPxCnz24bW0

SEFF 2019 demo 1► https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb6py2gS1OU

SEFF 2019 demo 2► https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGZPct9EkeE

SEFF 2019 NOON demo► https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXo5IpU7_gk

UPGRADES VIDEO► https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1gcECZESg8

Gooniacs centerburner flight at NIF 2019► https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMFdEQN-KMo

Gooniacs centerburner Installation► https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h93UcHBkKaE

Wing Platter Upgrade video► https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud6EOxgaefg

There's a lot of great information here all in one place, I'm sure it will help many. Thanks for posting and sharing it, Rich!
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I know its only 12 videos and one squawk... Its not for the lack of trying:)

Comment

On mine I fly tailerons only for both swept and extended wings

On wings extended I use 100 percent throw tailerons with regular flaps half is 50 percent full is 100 with some up elevator mix

Wings swept I use 65 percent tailerons

I use flight mode one and two one trims wings extended two trims wings swept

It really simplifies things and in both configurations it flys easy

Lands easier

I don't use the board except for lights flaps and gear

I like the scale performance without aerolines

I don't use full span flaps

I was going to use a 9 channel radio but HH botched my order delivered it to whereabouts unknown and doesn't reply to my email nor answer the phone

So I'm using an 8 channel receiver and shut off the aerolines via travel adjustment I might pull the servos and set them as fixed or convert to full span flaps and cement then to the existing flaps

Hope this helps

P.s Rich Bakers videos on this jet are very detailed his modification is advanced in my case I went with really simple since I'm old and slow

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
          There's a lot of great information here all in one place, I'm sure it will help many. Thanks for posting and sharing it, Rich!
          Thanks so much for creating the two new jets the mig andband has 39 of which I'm really looking forward to tinkering with keep up the good work

If you create a B 58 hustler my wife will divorce me

Comment

I've viewed all of your videos on this plane along with RC Geek's vids. They have been very helpful.
            I'm in the process of the F--14 build. Just finished the retract mount reinforcements. My question is in regards to installing a gyro. I've seen RC Geek touch upon it but noone has actually given any specific details on the set up. I don't mean where to physically place it but rather, where in the electronics path is it placed? Between the RX and control box or between the control box and the servos? Do the servos need to be plugged in differently (different ports)? Does it only affect the tailerons? Settings on the TX (eg. wing type)? Settings in the gyro (wing type)? I'd like to use a HobbyEagle A3-L. I'm familiar with using the A3-L in many planes but this one has a slightly higher level of complexity as far as the gyro is concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
              I've viewed all of your videos on this plane along with RC Geek's vids. They have been very helpful.
              I'm in the process of the F--14 build. Just finished the retract mount reinforcements.
              Did you use the lower wing plates from Dustin?

Regarding the Gyro/Stabilizer.... do not have one in my F-14, I fly it without any stabilization of any kind. it flys that great!

The only Stabilizers I have are the ones that are already installed in E-flight models & already set up... However, I will probably be setting up one soon in a new model, so stay tuned to the RCINFORMER YouTube Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by RCINFORMER View Post
                Did you use the lower wing plates from Dustin?
                No, after watching your videos, I did my own mod for the retracts using the philosophy you pointed out about the weak areas.

Comment

show me a picture....

Comment

A picture of the reinforcement on the mains won't show anything as it's already covered. I basically embedded a 1/4" square CF solid rod (about 6" to 7" long) into a carved out trough (about 1/2" deep) using epoxy to glue the rod in and fill in the trough. The rod end slides under the lip of the retract mount box and extends aft of the box. Since any force on the main retract acts as a lever in that direction, the end of the rod gives that end some support and makes that whole foam area very rigid. Since it's on the underside, it's not visible either on the ground or whizzing by in the air. It's not nearly as strong as that single heavy duty metal plate your friend made, but I'm hoping I won't nail the thing into the ground too hard too many times.
                    Then there's the nose retract. I used your idea to help support the load on the retract in the way the force would push it. I took a slightly different approach. The picture attached shows a metal band that I installed over the long section of the retract as it makes for a better lever to counter the load placed on it in a hard landing. That thin metal band goes through the foam on both sides of the retract tubular section and into the interior of the nose as seen from the top. The band overlaps itself and is secured with a screw in case it needs to be removed for replacement of the retract. I've also epoxied a block of wood at the end of the stock strut brace. That whole section where the wood block is, is filled with epoxy to make for a bigger "backstop". It acts somewhat like one of those 3D printed strut braces that people have made for their front retracts on A-10's and Avanti S.
                    Your mods are way more sturdy and attractive but I did what I could with what I had on hand.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3724.JPG
Views:	2163
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	271493Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3723.JPG
Views:	1961
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	271494

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                      I'm in the process of the F--14 build. Just finished the retract mount reinforcements. My question is in regards to installing a gyro. I've seen RC Geek touch upon it but noone has actually given any specific details on the set up. I don't mean where to physically place it but rather, where in the electronics path is it placed? Between the RX and control box or between the control box and the servos? Do the servos need to be plugged in differently (different ports)? Does it only affect the tailerons? Settings on the TX (eg. wing type)? Settings in the gyro (wing type)? I'd like to use a HobbyEagle A3-L. I'm familiar with using the A3-L in many planes but this one has a slightly higher level of complexity as far as the gyro is concerned.
                      As with all aspects of this plane, there are many ways to skin this particular cat. And it will depend on how you plan on configuring the surfaces.

If you plan on setting the jet up as freewing intended - i.e. tailerons and wing ailerons active all of the time, then you must configure the gyro as a 'regular' plane (seperate aileron and elevators) and use the mixing board.

If you plan on disabling the wing ailerons with the wings swept back, then you need to make some decisions. I would start with the premise that - it's going to be difficult getting gyro stabilisation on the wing ailerons if you want them disabled on wing sweep.

My set up is based on RCGeek's tune - primary control from tailerons, with trailing-edge-up-only wing ailerons (only with wings extended) and full span flaps. For this, I am still using the freewing mixing board - the gyro and tx are configured as a 'regular' plane and the tailerons have stabilised pitch/roll. The wing ailerons go straight to the receiver (actually two receivers - things got complicated lol) and are not gyro stabilised. Having the gyro working on tailerons only is enough to stabilised the plane. You could achieve a very similar result running the tailerons direct to the gyro, but you'd have to make sure it was configured with delta mixing. For most gyro/rx systems that have this feature, the radio is stil configured as a regular (seperate ail/ele channels) plane.

Happpy to dive into it in any more detail if you like, she is still in one piece and flying perfectly. For a radio programming geek this thing is a dream - logic conditions and all sorts of mixing going on lol.

Rich - if I may - your vidoes on the F-14 were invaluable. I went down a 3D printed path for both the battery tray mods and various gear reinforcements, but your detailed analysis of the plane could not have been more helpful. I also find your content well researched, clearly presented and above all - entertaining. Thank you for all of the work you put in to the channel.

While we're swapping war stories from the grass operations theatre, here's some pics of how the various mods ended up. The external elements look much better post paint/weathering i promise lol. There's been some inadvertent stress testing and it's holding up beautifully.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200728_221625.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.7 KB ID:	271511Click image for larger version  Name:	20200805_174833.jpg Views:	0 Size:	164.7 KB ID:	271512Click image for larger version  Name:	20200726_205208.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.4 KB ID:	271513Click image for larger version  Name:	20200726_210059.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.1 KB ID:	271514Click image for larger version  Name:	20200807_173142.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.4 KB ID:	271515Click image for larger version  Name:	20200801_162013.jpg Views:	0 Size:	103.9 KB ID:	271516

Comment

Originally posted by mshagg View Post
                        Happpy to dive into it in any more detail if you like, she is still in one piece and flying perfectly. For a radio programming geek this thing is a dream - logic conditions and all sorts of mixing going on lol.
                        I would love to discuss more details and clarification about the gyro thing but this topic may be outside of the scope for which Rich intended for this thread. Perhaps I could message you in the future when I get to the point of installing a gyro?

BTW, I really like your strut brace but lacking a 3D printer and the skill to use one, I went another route. Same for your nose brace.

Comment

Yes I think it would be appropriate to pick it up elsewhere. Can chat in the main thread but feel free to send a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mshagg View Post

As with all aspects of this plane, there are many ways to skin this particular cat. And it will depend on how you plan on configuring the surfaces.

If you plan on setting the jet up as freewing intended - i.e. tailerons and wing ailerons active all of the time, then you must configure the gyro as a 'regular' plane (seperate aileron and elevators) and use the mixing board.

If you plan on disabling the wing ailerons with the wings swept back, then you need to make some decisions. I would start with the premise that - it's going to be difficult getting gyro stabilisation on the wing ailerons if you want them disabled on wing sweep.

My set up is based on RCGeek's tune - primary control from tailerons, with trailing-edge-up-only wing ailerons (only with wings extended) and full span flaps. For this, I am still using the freewing mixing board - the gyro and tx are configured as a 'regular' plane and the tailerons have stabilised pitch/roll. The wing ailerons go straight to the receiver (actually two receivers - things got complicated lol) and are not gyro stabilised. Having the gyro working on tailerons only is enough to stabilised the plane. You could achieve a very similar result running the tailerons direct to the gyro, but you'd have to make sure it was configured with delta mixing. For most gyro/rx systems that have this feature, the radio is stil configured as a regular (seperate ail/ele channels) plane.

Rich - if I may - your vidoes on the F-14 were invaluable. I went down a 3D printed path for both the battery tray mods and various gear reinforcements, but your detailed analysis of the plane could not have been more helpful. I also find your content well researched, clearly presented and above all - entertaining. Thank you for all of the work you put in to the channel.

While we're swapping war stories from the grass operations theatre, here's some pics of how the various mods ended up. The external elements look much better post paint/weathering i promise lol. There's been some inadvertent stress testing and it's holding up beautifully.

Click image for larger version Name:	20200728_221625.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.7 KB ID:	271511Click image for larger version Name:	20200805_174833.jpg Views:	0 Size:	164.7 KB ID:	271512Click image for larger version Name:	20200726_205208.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.4 KB ID:	271513Click image for larger version Name:	20200726_210059.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.1 KB ID:	271514Click image for larger version Name:	20200807_173142.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.4 KB ID:	271515Click image for larger version Name:	20200801_162013.jpg Views:	0 Size:	103.9 KB ID:	271516
                            I like the nose wheel brace. I have found 3D printed items to be a bit brittle... All good ideas!

Comment

Hey Guys

My F-14 ARF Arrives tomorrow. Reinforcement Kit ordered from Dustin Holloman, Great guy!

Undecided on power at this point.

A10 Setups ?
                              T-33 Fans with A10 ESC's ?
                              FMS 2100's ?

And undecided on Center burners

I have a few lite burner modules
                              But Gooniac and RCGEEK also are contenders.

Control surface setup still up in the air.

I fly Jeti and will be utilizing a REX12 Assist receiver (Gyro Equipped ) and a MUI telemetry module to measure battery capacity in flight. Have these in all my Jets :-)

And yes! GREAT vids Rich. Appreciate all the wonderful work you did and continue to do!

Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

Reinforcement kit has arrived!
                                Attached Files
                                Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

Originally posted by e4dragongunner View Post
                                  Reinforcement kit has arrived!
                                  How did you order the reinforcements?

Comment

PayPal Dustin Holloman 111.00 and it arrives :-)
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Is there a spot here that explains the programming for disconnecting flaps when in swept wing position-I have an 8 channel spektrum with DX9

Comment

Does Dustin still make the reinforcement kits? Where can I purchase it?

thanks

-Matt

Comment

Working...
                                        X