You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The RCINFORMER FREEWING F-14 Thread for any and all Q&A on the Freewing F-14 TOMCAT

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Et al, I think a CF replacement for the steel plates in the Tomcat is a great mod idea. Any stats on CF thickness to weight/strength versus steel would be appreciated. I like the idea of exchanging weight for performance. Best, LB
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Originally posted by Elbee View Post
      Et al, I think a CF replacement for the steel plates in the Tomcat is a great mod idea. Any stats on CF thickness to weight/strength versus steel would be appreciated. I like the idea of exchanging weight for performance. Best, LB
      I was under the impression the stock plates and aftermarket versions were aluminum?

Comment

They are aluminum.

Comment

Originally posted by dk91105 View Post

I was under the impression the stock plates and aftermarket versions were aluminum?
          Thanks, I have yet to open the box, so I have spoken without knowing. Does anyone think there could still be a weight savings with CF. Best, LB
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Thanks, I have yet to open the box, so I have spoken without knowing. Does anyone think there could still be a weight savings with CF. Best, LB
            Honestly not sure but it definitely wouldn't add any weight if made with the same 3mm thickness and not to mention look a hell of a lot better.

Comment

The aluminium plates are fairly heavy. When I bought my second TC it came with the kit uninstalled. I chose to sell it instead of installing it. I fly off pavement and had no issues with my first TC.

Comment

Evan D dk91105 my thought about replacing the OEM aluminum plates with CF plate is 2-fold, lighter weight and thinner material. 3mm alum versus say 2mm CF. I cannot find comparisons of weight to strength gain/loss, if that makes sense. Wondering if it is worth the effort. An overall savings of even a half a pound is worth it to me. There's got to be a way to this bird on a diet. I would think. Best, LB
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Evan D dk91105 my thought about replacing the OEM aluminum plates with CF plate is 2-fold, lighter weight and thinner material. 3mm alum versus say 2mm CF. I cannot find comparisons of weight to strength gain/loss, if that makes sense. Wondering if it is worth the effort. An overall savings of even a half a pound is worth it to me. There's got to be a way to this bird on a diet. I would think. Best, LB
                  I'm going to find out soon. My TC is on the road and the first thing I'm doing is pulling the plates and most of the electronics.

Comment

Pull the plates? The stock plane has none.

Comment

Isn't there a big difference in overall size and coverage of the custom plates? The replacement plates extend further aft to make for a reinforcement and possible attachment (if so chosen) for the main retracts. I think the stock wing plates are strong enough and it's the area above the main retracts that was weak due to a seam that runs fore/aft in that area - this seam wasn't even glued very well. After having a couple of very rough landings, which resulted in a cartwheel, I'm of the feeling that only the main gear area needs strengthening. The wing plates are fine. The embedded CF square rods over the main retract housing and that seam, appears to have done quite an adequate job.
                      I never got the custom wing plates so can't say about a weight comparison, but I think because the upgrade ones have so much more material (aluminum), it's gotten weight more. CF would be lighter than AL and should exhibit similar, if not better strength. However, like AL, CF will begin to flex at a certain thickness. At what thickness, I have no idea. Just for comparison (although not scientific) I replaced my aluminum hood on my old sports car with a CF one. Both had the same sort of bending strength but when you push on the CF, it bounces back. When you push on the aluminum one, it bent (dented) and stayed that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                        Could he be talking about the bottom "plate" in that whole assembly that holds the wing swivel/mount and held together by those cross bars? As shown at 28:08 in Rich's assembly video? The upgrade plates are just those plates but with the extension "wings" for the retract reinforcement.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=279819.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	371271

Comment

Originally posted by dk91105 View Post

I'm going to find out soon. My TC is on the road and the first thing I'm doing is pulling the plates and most of the electronics.
                          DK, could you weigh those alum parts and post those? Very thankful, LB
                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

xviper what is the weight of your aftermarket CNC alum parts? Best, LB
                            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                              I am referring to the plates that these replace. I will deep dive into this (as it's the only way I know how) when I get my hands on the parts. If I saw correctly the stock plates are close to 3mm and I'll l tell you 3mm CF is mighty rigid.

Attached Files

Comment

xviper what is the weight of your aftermarket CNC alum parts? Best, LB
                                I didn't get them. After analyzing what the upgrade plates did for this plane, I decided their primary benefit was to reinforce the main gear area and that seam. When you put pressure on the retract as when landing, the seam opens up. So, I elected to embed the CF square rods near the main retracts and pushed more glue into and along the whole seam. To the best of my recollection, those rods were about 6mm square and about 7" to 8" long - one on each side. Contrary to what others may have thought, I decided the stock wing plate and accompanying assembly was up to the task.

Comment

• Elbee
                                  Elbee commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Smart and clever. You have a point and there's no doubt what is there is fine, I am just seeking a way to reduce overall weight and that alum (which I thought was steel) plate seems a good starting point. Like others, I'd like the template of the upgrade plates to save some time switching out to a CF plate. We'll see. Best, LB

The CF will be absolutely fine. Your struts will bend before the body gives up, I didn't replace the entire plates, what I did was add an extension off the stock plates then put a second piece in under both plates to fuse them together with 30 minute epoxy. The second carbon plate also was glued down to the retract mount and drilled through so the mount would also have its original screws in place. Crossed fingers 🤞 so far it's been working great.

Comment

rifleman_btx, What thickness is your CF plate? Also, likey the epoxy rather than kit glue or E6000. Any other suggestions on where to look to cut some ounces? Best, LB
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	signal-2021-12-20-16-26-16-030.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	371365 I used jbweld plastic weld epoxy for mind, and I just used the same thickness as the aluminum plates, if I remember correctly 3mm. But I would still cut away the foam above the gear mount and reinforce it directly to the plate with a small piece sandwiched between the mount and plate that will help a great bit keeping the flex out of the foam as i also did mine differently and left the factory cf cross rod system in place for support as well. These been holding strong, so far so good.

Comment

• Elbee
                                      Elbee commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Thanks much.

Originally posted by Flyingace123 View Post
                                    Is there a spot here that explains the programming for disconnecting flaps when in swept wing position-I have an 8 channel spektrum with DX9
                                    I reached out to RCGeek about the setup as well. I haven't heard back from him yet.

Comment

Does anyone know the length of the swept wing pushrods are supposed to be? When I extend the wings, everything is cleared and the flaps can work. When swept, they sound BAD. They sound like they are crushing something in a hydraulic press. So, naturally, since they push out to make the wings retract, I shorted them a little so they wouldn't have to extend as much.

Well, that made it worse. The more I seem to shorten the length, the more it sounds worse. This now made the extended position too short in the extended position. The flap cannot come down.

Can you set the endpoints for those landing servos (swept wing servos)?
                                      What should the length be set to from center point of the ball joint to center point of ball joint? This I need to know because now I can't get the length set back to default.

Do the servos sense when its getting tight and shut off or will they keep trying to extend and burn up?

Comment

Working...
                                      X