X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Black Horse Viper Jet MKII 120mm EDF Discussion Thread

Click image for larger version  Name:	viper-jet-mkii-120mm.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.6 KB ID:	349902

Viper Jet MKII 120mm EDF from Black Horse - Balsa Wood ARF - BHM1007-001

The Black Horse Viper Jet Mk.II 120mm EDF ARF delivers an ideal balance between size, weight, speed, flight envelope, transportability, cost, and pure fun factor. With modern construction methods, high quality materials, and your provided high performance power system and electronics, this aircraft is one of the best performers any RC jet pilot could own. Within a couple evenings of installing your provided power system and other required electronics, you'll have a premier, world-class EDF balsa jet in your RC hangar that's ready to dominate the skies in style!
    High Quality ARF
    Constructed from laser-cut balsa, plywood, carbon fiber, and other high quality materials, the Black Horse Viper Jet Mk.II arrives with a high level of pre-assembly. Every surface is fully sheeted with balsa to provide maximum strength and a professional finish.
    Versatile Power Options
    Designed for a 120mm EDF (Electric Ducted Fan) power system, this electric-ready version of the Black Horse Viper Jet Mk.II can accommodate 10s-12s LiPo battery power depending on which system you decide to install.
    Included Suspension Struts
    CNC machined aluminum and steel suspension struts feature a robust 5mm diameter axle, 65mm nose wheel, and 75mm main wheels for operating on both paved and grass RC runways.
    High Visibility Livery
    Fly a real showstopper with the Viper Jet's striking Union Jack livery. Bold black and vibrant red, white, and blue emblazoned across the aircraft is both easy to orient in the sky and visually impressive on the ground.
    Molded Canopy and Cockpit
    Peer into the detailed plastic cockpit bay through the molded clear plastic canopy. The plastic parts resist both heat and UV damage, retaining their color and sharpness through many flying seasons.
    High Performance Acrobatic Trainer
    The Viper Jet Mk.II is well regarded for both its nimble and stable flight characteristics. Carefully selected airfoils and construction methods provide a wing that does not stall easily and can sustain high speed flight loads while remaining lightweight. Fly this aircraft as a docile large EDF/Jet trainer, or move directly into flying an excitingly wide spectrum of aerobatic maneuvers!
    High Quality Hardware
    Reinforced nylon, steel, and brass hardware provide the best material performance for different jobs. Trusted construction methods and control hardware geometries ensure each servo drives its control surface precisely with minimal efficiency loss.
    All-Around "Daily Driver"
    The Black Horse Viper Jet Mk.II delivers an ideal balance between size, weight, speed, flight envelope, transportability, cost, and pure fun factor. With modern construction methods, high quality materials, and your provided high performance power system and electronics, this aircraft is one of the best performers any RC jet pilot could own.
    Features:
    • Striking "Union Jack" livery
    • Fully sheeted with balsa
    • High level of prefabrication right out of the box
    • Lightweight, strong, laser-cut balsa and plywood construction
    • Fiberglass and carbon fiber reinforced areas
    • All-Metal suspension struts
    • Wheels with 5mm axle diameter
    • Clear canopy and plastic cockpit bay
    • Straightforward assembly and installation for intermediate to advanced builders
    Includes:
    • Black Horse Viper Jet MKII 120mm EDF - ARF
    • CNC metal suspension struts
    Requires:
    Customer NoteBlack Horse ARF models are constructed out of balsa wood and plywood. These are not foam models. The assembly of balsa wood ARF aircraft requires basic model building skills including the installation of servos, ESC, and motor (or gas engine).

Product Specifications:

AGE LEVEL : 18 and up
    SKILL LEVEL : Expert
    BUILD TIME : 20+ Hours
    Model Scale 1:4.5 Scale
    Wingspan 1885mm / 74.2in
    Length 1820mm / 71.6in
    Weight 8900 - 9100g / 19.58 - 20lbs
    CG (Center of Gravity) 160-165mm from the leading edge of the wing at the root
    Power System 12S electric brushless motor (required)
    Electronic Speed Control 160A (required)
    Propeller / EDF 120mm EDF (required)
    Servos Electric - 8x 45g standard (required) - we recommend HRC32645S
    Landing Gear
    • Electric retract (required)
    • CNC metal suspension struts (included)
    Required Battery
    • For 10S - 2x 5S 18.5v 6000mAh LiPo batteries
    • For 12S - 2x 6S 22.2v 6000mAh LiPo batteries
    Required Radio 8+ Channel (required)
    Ailerons Yes
    Elevator Yes
    Rudder Yes
    Flaps Yes
    Lights No
    Hinge Type Nylon Heavy Duty pin hinges
    Material Balsa and plywood
    Skill Level Expert
    Build Time 20+ Hours
    Recommended Environment Outdoors

This looks great I’ve been watching this with a WEMOTEC midi 100 fan. Sounds amazing.

Is there a recommended electric retract by Motion RC?

Comment

Complete combo  for in Viper Jet MK II EDF (Wingspan: 1885 mm) from Black Horse. Tested and aproved by Electron team. ATTENTION! This retract set requires of additional mounting plates in order to adapt the mounting surface to the ER-30 retracts. Pleae check the images in the gallery to see how it is mounted! Includes:…

Comment

Any recommendations on the 120mm-sized fan unit and motor? Wonder why Motion R/C doesn’t list a recommendation for h these required parts? 🤔 TIA! We did purchase the recommended Castle ESC & UBEC.

Comment

Originally posted by Mud Duck View Post
          Any recommendations on the 120mm-sized fan unit and motor? Wonder why Motion R/C doesn’t list a recommendation for h these required parts? 🤔 TIA! We did purchase the recommended Castle ESC & UBEC.
          Looks like they recommend what they sell. They don't sell a 120mm edf unit.

Comment

Originally posted by leithalweapon View Post

Looks like they recommend what they sell. They don't sell a 120mm edf unit.
            Which is kind of sad. They sell this incredible airplane, they ought to carry something or at least offer a recommendation even if it is a competitor. Nevertheless we went ahead and bought one of these for the Viper; JP Hobby 120mm 760KV 12S 12 Blade Metal EDF Hope it will be a good choice for the airframe.

Comment

Which is kind of sad. They sell this incredible airplane, they ought to carry something or at least offer a recommendation even if it is a competitor. Nevertheless we went ahead and bought one of these for the Viper; JP Hobby 120mm 760KV 12S 12 Blade Metal EDF Hope it will be a good choice for the airframe.
              That will work. I had a couple JP Hobby 90mm fans and they are smooth.

Comment

It's big and double boxed.
                Attached Files

Comment

Some interior pics.
                  Attached Files

Comment

You should check out Wojtek Brzozowski's youtube vids. He has several on the Blackhorse Viper. In this one he uses a 100mm Wemotec midi-fan and a HET Typhoon 700-75-1400kv. He's tried out other EDF unit combinations too. Definitely worth checking out this guy's videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L95mmjcuGQ4

Without diving he was able to get a top speed of about 110mph on that setup and the plane flew exceptionally well. It looked great in the air and it was exceptionally maneuverable.

in this video he flew the same fan, better motor and 14S and hit a top speed without diving of about 130mph.
                    Black Horse Viper XL 1,9m 9kg,100mm EDF WeMoTec Midi Evo super jet sound !!!https://www.turbines-rc.com/en/wemote...motor HET Typhoon 700-83-1080kv with h...

Comment

Some interior pics.
                      How’s your build going? Received ours today, took a while just to unbox everything. Hope you’ll share photos/ideas of your build. I’ll do the same. Can’t wait to get her ready to go.

Comment

Originally posted by DougCLind View Post

You should check out Wojtek Brzozowski's youtube vids.
                        Black Horse Viper XL 1,9m 9kg,100mm EDF WeMoTec Midi Evo super jet sound !!!https://www.turbines-rc.com/en/wemote...motor HET Typhoon 700-83-1080kv with h...
                        Those are incredible videos, thanks for sharing! Inspires me to want to get it done as soon as possible. 😁

Comment

How’s your build going? Received ours today, took a while just to unbox everything. Hope you’ll share photos/ideas of your build. I’ll do the same. Can’t wait to get her ready to go.
                          Good, but slow. One thing I would recommend is to clear coat it first. The vinyl covering shows every fingerprint. I'm hoping the clear makes them less visible. I got epoxy on it in one spot and was able to carefully remove it with alcohol before it dried.
                          I am using Torq CL0508 servos so I cut the servo mounting tabs off of the cover and reglued them to fit. So far all of the hardware has been included and is usable quality. I will replace the control rods with better quality.
                          Probably gonna put a Jetfan 110mm in it as the outlet nozzle provided is a bit narrow.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Good, but slow. One thing I would recommend is to clear coat it first. So far all of the hardware has been included and is usable quality. I will replace the control rods with better quality.
                            Probably gonna put a Jetfan 110mm in it as the outlet nozzle provided is a bit narrow.
                            All good to know, Thank-you! What clear coat will you use? I definitely want to try to preserve that great look and I noticed that some of the tape seams were already lifting off.

I probably should have waited and got the 110 fan, but too late already have the 120, so it’s going to get stuffed in there somehow. Glad you found the hardware acceptable. I’ll review those pushrods as well. I have a feeling this will take longer than expected. I’m more concerned that I get everything in place correctly the first time (ESC, BEC, Gyro, etc.)

Comment

All good to know, Thank-you! What clear coat will you use? I definitely want to try to preserve that great look and I noticed that some of the tape seams were already lifting off.

I probably should have waited and got the 110 fan, but too late already have the 120, so it’s going to get stuffed in there somehow. Glad you found the hardware acceptable. I’ll review those pushrods as well. I have a feeling this will take longer than expected. I’m more concerned that I get everything in place correctly the first time (ESC, BEC, Gyro, etc.)
                              On the sides of the fuselage just above where the wing attaches the covering has pulled away from the balsa. I'm going to use a heat iron with a sock at low temp to try and fix it.
                              I will either use polycrylic or an automotive clear coat.
                              For a rx I have a Frsky SR10 Pro with dual battery inputs so I can have 2 rx batteries. I wouldn't use a BEC on a plane this big. Use a dedicated rx battery or even better 2. Also the SR10 pro rx has a gyro built in.

Comment

I wouldn't use a BEC on a plane this big. Use a dedicated rx battery or even better 2.
                                Agreed! I didn’t explain that well. We’re using a separate UBEC as recommended on their website, the Castle Creations 20A BEC Pro and separate receiver packs.

Comment

Well, I obviously misunderstood the fact that the Retract actuators not included in the kit, so please let me know what you’re installing in yours and where you purchased them. Thanks.

Comment

Well, I obviously misunderstood the fact that the Retract actuators not included in the kit, so please let me know what you’re installing in yours and where you purchased them. Thanks.
                                    I read on R*C*G that the metal retracts from HK work if you ream out the retracts truniun from 10mm to 10.1mm to accept the stock struts. Problem is HK just sold out of them.

I ordered 2 of these for the mains, but I won't have them for a while.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/225183...4795f19c58svqP

This one for the nose gear.

Comment

I’ve been trying to locate a spare pilot figure for this airplane, are spare parts for it available anywhere? Anyone have a spare pilot figure you’d like to part with? 🙂

Comment

I got some lights from Dave's RC Electronics installed In the wings.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X