Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like my forefathers, I'll try taking a stab at it without reading the directions.

Try turning on/plugging in the receiver(little box thing) first. Then try turning on the transmitter (trigger thing) and waiting for it to bind. Or turn it on holding a Bind button.

A lot.of receivers require that order of powering on and binding.

Comment

Lol...same...usually...but I actually read the directions this time.. Maybe that was my mistake! I'm still playing with it to see if I can get it to pair. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Good news! I got the engines to work with the transmitter and receiver. There is a problem however, the transmitter throttle is working backwards. I have to keep the throttle pressed down for the engine to remain still. Is this how they are supposed to work or am I missing something?Good news! I got the engines to work with the transmitter and receiver. There is a problem however, the transmitter throttle is working backwards. I have to keep the throttle pressed down for the engine to remain still. Is this how they are supposed to work or am I missing something?

Also, I have two engines that I need to be able to control, but my receiver only has one port that I can use. So do I need two receivers? And if I have two receivers then do I need two transmitters?​

Comment

Originally posted by lashrew View Post
          Good news! I got the engines to work with the transmitter and receiver. There is a problem however, the transmitter throttle is working backwards. I have to keep the throttle pressed down for the engine to remain still. Is this how they are supposed to work or am I missing something?Good news! I got the engines to work with the transmitter and receiver. There is a problem however, the transmitter throttle is working backwards. I have to keep the throttle pressed down for the engine to remain still. Is this how they are supposed to work or am I missing something?

Also, I have two engines that I need to be able to control, but my receiver only has one port that I can use. So do I need two receivers? And if I have two receivers then do I need two transmitters?​
          You need two ESCs for 2 motors, but they can both work from a single receiver with a Y lead.

As far as your throttle is concerned, you probably just need to calibrate the ESC to the transmitter. How to do that depends on the brand, so you'll need to read the instructions.

Comment

We have a working throttle controller!! Wow. That was cool. I tested both engines separately and they worked! Next, I'm going to get the y-splitter and attach them to the aircraft body...somehow. thanks for all the help and advice so far!

Comment

Ok...I'm expecting this to hit the deck like a brick or rip itself apart. It's ugly and terribly built...but we're going to have fun anyway, throwing this in a field. Will bring a fire extinguisher as suggested...lol. Yes, the body is styrofoam. And yes, that's duct tape. I know. I'll post about the outcome soon.
              Attached Files

Comment

Are you sure that is balanced where it should be?

Comment

Originally posted by lashrew View Post
                  Ok...I'm expecting this to hit the deck like a brick or rip itself apart. It's ugly and terribly built...but we're going to have fun anyway, throwing this in a field. Will bring a fire extinguisher as suggested...lol. Yes, the body is styrofoam. And yes, that's duct tape. I know. I'll post about the outcome soon.
                  Have you checked the centre of gravity ? With the nose facing towards you stick your left forefinger under the left wing close to the fuselage( body ) about a 1/4 of the way back between the front and back of the wing and do the same with your right forefinger on the right wing. Lift the plane up and it should be level. if it is not ( and looking at it I doubt it will be level and the tail will drop straight down and you will have a rocket that will go vertical then probably loop and hit you in the back of the head !!!!) then consider moving the batteries to where the front canopy is and maybe moving the motors forward a bit.. At the moment your model looks very tail heavy and has a high wing loading which means it has to fly fast to stay in the air !!!!.. spend a little time watching this
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF8qCbuojcM.

Once you hit this youtube page there will be other design videos on screen you can skip through to help you. Getting the cg or centre of gravity right is a must for a successful flight and the lighter wing loading the easier it will be to fly ( a 3 sq foot wing area weighing 1 lb flies a lot easier than a 3 sq ft wing area weighing 3 lb ) I know you just want to see it fly but a little more time and patience now will lead to a more successful and less disappointing first flight.

Comment

We got three test flights in before we had a non-nominal event that broke off the tail section. It was a lot of fun. At max power to the engines it went pretty far before tumbling and crashing. It was never in control because of the mis-balancing and all the duct tape holding it together...but now we've had a fun introduction and we're hooked. Thank you all for the tips and leading your knowledge and experience to our first attempts. Next stop is the hobby shop to talk to people there and get a proper body. There is also a model flyers club near us that we will check out. Again, thanks to everyone for your help!

Comment

Awesome, thanks for letting us know how it went.

Comment

Working...
                      X