Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the f4 lining up for a shot on the mig was my fav pic

Comment

Guys, I spent the morning with Alpha a few days ago flying the Mig and the new Starfighter.

This one has been around for a little more time than the Starfighter, so I've seen the videos and had my initial impressions. I had to find out for myself what this jet is all about... long story short, I'm buying one as soon as Alpha updates the site with the pre-order!

It's big.
      Lots of wing area, and a really mean looking stance that makes it pop out on the flight line.
      Intake is well thought out and tons of air for a 90 if you really wanted to... *cough*Brent*cough*

It was almost tough to believe that the stock 80mm outrunner would give it the performance it deserved, but after flying it, I can assure you it definitely has no lack for power!

Acceleration is fast whether you're on the takeoff roll or punching out of slow flight - I'll attribute that to a clean intake and relatively short/unobstructed tailpipe. Vertical performance is also impressive. On my first fast climbout, Alpha had to remind me that there was a 400' ceiling for the flying site... whoops!

Slow, High Angle of Attack flying is very predictable and looks downright sinister!
      I am extremely impressed with not only how slow and high you can get the nose, but how much controllability is present, all the way to the stall! By the way, stalls are a cake-walk... no wing dropping tendencies, and recovery is pretty instantaneous once you let the nose down.

I got pretty aggressive with it; the model is fully capable of snappy direction changes that look cool, but totally un-scale! Again, no bad habits, but if you take it too far and get it to stall, it'll simply drop the nose and pick up where you left off.

Landings are a breeze as well. Anyone comfortable with their landings can put this one down just as easy as any trainer. Flaps are definitely not required, but reward a skilled pilot with slow, nose high approaches... keep the elevator pressure once the main wheels have touched down for a crowd pleasing wheelie.

The versatility of this jet is way more than what I expected. I only got a few flights in so far, but can see the potential for some very cool maneuvers once I get more time in the logbook. I can definitely also see it as my "go to" jet --- the one I can simply throw up in the air and enjoy flying simpler maneuvers, or just pattern work.

Can't wait to get mine and throw on a sick paint scheme!

Vic

Comment

Looking to pre order this as well. Hoping for a all aluminum finish
        AMA 1102566

Comment

"The MiG-21 is currently in production and we'll have complete details on the website within a couple of weeks. The target price is $299 like all the other Freewing 80mm jets." Posted by Alpha on 4/10/2016...... Long Couple of weeks....LOL, Hopefully a pre-order b4 FATHERS's DAY.

Comment

For those that would really like to become more familiar with the Mig 21 and experience what it would be like to fly this great jet from the pilots cockpit there is now a way.
            One of the best current top tear flight simulators out there is Digital Combat Simulator World (DCS World). It is a free-to-play digital battlefield game, focusing on simulation of military aircraft. It includes the FREE Su-25T and TF-51D aircraft and it is extensible through additional DCS modules as well as user-made add-ons and mods. One of the modules that became available in 2014 was for the Mig-21bis.
            Leatherneck Simulations' recreation of the MiG-21 is, by far, the most accurate and comprehensive simulation of this supersonic jet fighter to date. The fully simulated systems, interactive cockpit, advanced flight modeling and incredible graphical fidelity come together to create a package that will provide you with the most authentic simulation possible.
            To be able to fly the Mig 21 in DCS you will first have to download DCS world for free from http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com
            Then you will have to purchase the Mig-21bis module and download it. The regular price is $50 but there is summer sale going on from 6/10/16 to 6/20/16 for only $30.

Comment

I opened a support ticket asking when we might see this new bird, this was the response.

Hi David,

Dear David, We are all waiting patiently as well. I myself, haven't heard a release date. I asked but no one has the definite date at this time. Alpha is currently in China, working with the Manufactures.

Sincerely, Motion RC
              Matt

Comment

It was fun to have a Mig on my tail, hope we can do it again this weekend!
                Attached Files

Comment

The repaired corrupted file

Comment

YouTube does some really funky things to the light don't they? Love the formation!
                    Lauren

Comment

Sadly the file was corrupted otherwise you would have seen everything the program I used only partially fixed corrupted file, like the sound is out of sync with the video.

Comment

So at least one version has been added to the MRC site, but only listed as Out of Stock, not Pre-Order. Waiting for the silver version to go up and the pre-order to be opened!
                        Pat

Comment

Great news, hopefully we're getting close!

Comment

Color is not too important to me as long as I can start enjoying it!

Comment

Looks like Motion is getting the Mig up and running on their site. Wooohooo!!!

Comment

I chatted with support this morning, they say they don't have a date yet but it will be soon as the planes are already built.

Comment

Have my finger on the mouse ready to click "Buy" Now I'm excited it's all coming to fruition on the Mig-21
                                  Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                                  Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                                  I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

90mm F-104's going up as well!! Where's the announcement thread for them?

Comment

I'm about to wear out the F5 button on my keyboard anxiously awaiting the pre-order!
                                      Pat

Comment

Pre-order is open! Go get 'em boys! Mine's already on order. ;)
                                        Pat

Comment

You're quick, Pat!

To the rest of you, have at it!

PNP Silver
                                          https://www.motionrc.com/collections...nt=23917895174

PNP Blue
                                          https://www.motionrc.com/collections...nt=23892568838

For you hotrod gearheads looking for a home for your 80mm Jetfans, bare in mind we tested the MiG-21 to CG with 8s 5000 (Admiral 6s+2s) . We're pre-ordering the ARF PLUS versions as well:

ARF PLUS Silver
                                          https://www.motionrc.com/collections...nt=23917361094

ARF PLUS Blue
                                          https://www.motionrc.com/collections...nt=23876133574

One note about the MiG-21 that isn't mentioned in the Description but can be seen in the Instruction Manual we've uploaded to the product pages, is that it uses all new Digital Metal Gear Servos for all flying surfaces, 9g and 17g. This is another departure from the standard 9g analog plastic servos used for most surfaces of the smaller 80mm Freewing jets. The MiG-21's larger size, weight, and upgrade potential benefited from stronger servos. We're also using larger retracts.

We'll be posting flight videos soon. In the meantime, here's a quick teaser pass showing off the power and stability of the MiG-21 and its all new stock PNP power system, sporting a larger ESC and higher KV motor. I flew the bird in China last month before we greenlit mass production.

Showcasing the ample thrust and stability of Freewing's upcoming MiG-21 80mm EDF Jet. The MiG-21 sports an all new power system and larger ESC. The results s...

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Working...
                                          X