X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to move into a new EDF

Hi my name is Ben and I just joined here. I have been flying for 10+ years now. I am self taught and a few years ago started flying warbirds. I am proficient with many of them including the 1400 zero t28 and f4u. I am looking to pickup a edf warbird. Naturally I am looking at the me 262. I seem to have issues flying planes smaller than 1100 so I would like to stay away from that size range. I love scale plane. I would love that amazing goshawk but I know that is likely a season or two out. So I read the fw 262 is very scale in appearance and in its flight envelope. So I am wondering the dynam 262 a good first edf?
    AMA 1102566

If you go with the 262 spend a few more dollars and get the Freewing 262. Good quality and a nice flier.

ive got the Freewing F-86 and it's a great flier. Takes a 6S, 4500mAh and I get 3 1/2 minutes of flight time.

Comment

Money is not the issue. I had read from multiple sources that the FW model was truer to scale and had some snap issues etc. This is normally fine but for my first edf I had read the dynam was more forgiving. So I dont mind buying twice at all. Thanks for the heads up though.
      AMA 1102566

Comment

Originally posted by AkumaZeto View Post
        Money is not the issue. I had read from multiple sources that the FW model was truer to scale and had some snap issues etc. This is normally fine but for my first edf I had read the dynam was more forgiving. So I dont mind buying twice at all. Thanks for the heads up though.
        This is true, the Freewing will snap if you stall it. I don't know much about the Dynam, but I would also highly recommend the 80mm F-86 as a first jet. Flies extremely well! I've even let some newbie flyers who only had experience on the Apprentice fly the Sabre with no problems. It is certainly one of the best flying planes I've owned.

Comment

Of course I am nervous as all get out again just like I was when I went from high wing to warbird. Anything I should be mindful of?
          AMA 1102566

Comment

Of course I am nervous as all get out again just like I was when I went from high wing to warbird. Anything I should be mindful of?
            Mostly that EDFs take more time to respond to throttle commands. If you firewall it for a go around it may take a couple seconds for the Edf to spin up, so think ahead of what you are doing. Most of the time, this isn't very noticeable though. Also, EDFs generally need some power to land, so keep on the the throttle a bit for your approach.

Comment

Do they need to be flown super fast or fast compared to say a 1400 f4u?
              AMA 1102566

Comment

Do they need to be flown super fast or fast compared to say a 1400 f4u?
                Depends on the jet. Planes like the 80mm F-5 will need to carry substantially more speed than others. The F-86 can be flown fairly slow, especially on landing. Once you have it up in the air, slow it down and feel out the response of the jet. When it is getting nose high and looks like it is going to stall, it probably will. I will say the most EDFs will certainly be fast compared to the F4U. Certain jets like the F-5 will seem super fast compared to the Corsair.

Comment

I have a issue with smaller planes 1100 and below becasue of speed needed to keep them in air. That with the smaller size makes them look like they are going twice as fast. I was debating the dynam 262 or the 80mm f86
                  AMA 1102566

Comment

I have a issue with smaller planes 1100 and below becasue of speed needed to keep them in air. That with the smaller size makes them look like they are going twice as fast. I was debating the dynam 262 or the 80mm f86
                    If you have issues with the 1100mm planes, the jets will require more speed than those. The F-86 can fly at close to those speeds, but just be cautious. Take it up high and test the limits of the airplane. If you are familiar with its limits, you can avoid making a costly mistake later. Here is a video showing the speeds the F-86 will require: https://youtu.be/BqsJGnoc_qc.

Comment

FhHuber (Fred I think) who posts on here would be a good resource on the ME 262 as well as DKal. As I recall from another website we were on together he had a pretty good looking one and I thought (I may be wrong) it was Dynam one.
                      Lauren

Comment

Im new to EDFs myself..I started with the Unique T-50 ..which to me seamed rather easy to fly (once you actually get it airborne) ..my next was the Freewing F-15 90mm...which I found to be rather easy to handle as well...and it wouldve been a continuous joyful plane had I not used too small of a C rated lipo in it...crashed it just before landing...but if your good with fast warbirds (props) then to me this one is rather easy and able to slow down pretty good. It being my second EDF,my first flight I was really expecting more speed from it,so that made it seem easier to get used to it first I think.
                        www.TSHobbies.com
                        Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

Comment

which one flies more like a prop warbird? Guessing the 262 and its larger as well.
                          AMA 1102566

Comment

also what are the handling characteristics of the sabre?
                            AMA 1102566

Comment

also what are the handling characteristics of the sabre?
                              The handling characteristics of the Sabre are mild yet precise, kind of the like the FMS 1450mm P-51 of EDFs. It flies very locked in tracks exactly where you want it to. In a stall in level flight, it gently drops the nose and recovers. Landings are easy, especially without flaps. Keep in maybe 10% power on landing until it gets in ground effect. Then flare and cut the throttle as soon as the wheels touch and you will be rewarded with a silky smooth touchdown.

Comment

I had talked to Tom a bit today and he recommended a 70mm saber for my first EDF lol I dunno what to do.
                                AMA 1102566

Comment

I had talked to Tom a bit today and he recommended a 70my saber for my first EDF lol I dunno what to do.
                                  My two cents on this: My step to a EDF has been with the FW F-86 80mm. I had been flying the FW P-51 the past couple years. It has not been a dramatic change by no means. The 86 is very stable and handles much like the 51. Take off's are actually easier with the 86, and landing approaches are solid and predictable.
                                  Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                                  Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

I'll chime in also here.... If you don't care about it being a scale plane I can highly recommend the Freewing Rebel V2. I just maidened mine today and it went super. All I had to do for trim was 3 clicks of up elevator. Flew fine off of short grass and floated in nicely for a landing (1 bounce). Like you, I haven't flown EDF's much at all, just 4 flights on my sons little Freewing Panther. Just a thought.... :)
                                    Lauren

Comment

I am sorry Tom said the rebel v2 lol no Idea why I said saber. Please keep the discussion going
                                      AMA 1102566

Comment

Hope you dont mind me sayin this here,but ..Ive got my Unique Models T50 which is what I started with...its a beater , but still flyable enough to get past those cherry poppin jitters. Its been a tough plane , and repaired, so you wouldnt have that big of an investment in it to worry about crashing. even got a lipo for it to get you started..just needs an Rx ...$75 + shipping.
                                        www.TSHobbies.com
                                        Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

Comment

Working...
                                        X