X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Freewing 64mm EDF F9F Panther Thread

The Freewing F9F Panther has been around for years, but we wanted to start an official thread so we could consolidate all the comments, photos, videos, etc. This is one of our top selling planes so we look forward to all your feedback.

Hi,
    I bought the F9F about one month ago.  I left it in the box while I read and read about the F9F model to learn more about how to build it correctly.  I got more and more confused.  There are post after post of 4+ and 5+ RATINGS explaining how much they have enjoyed building and flying this model.  There are also many post describing how difficult it is if not impossible to get the CG correct.  There are very few mediocre reviews. How can there be so much discrepancy?  Is there some problem with quality control at Freewing?  Is the wing incidence different occasionally on some models or something causing this straight up and straight down flight?  Is this problem really the CG when builders claim they have the CG set at 36mm and then keep adding more and more nose weight, while it still won't fly?

Does anyone have an explanation or a theory or even a comment on what they think is happening?

I am just at the point of needing to set the CG.  I have the model built, throws completed and trims set.  I have my 1800 mah admiral battery pushed all the way forward and my CG is very close to the mark!  But, do I add another 1/2 to 1 oz more weight to the nose before I glue on the nose cone, or, am I good?

Some people indicate no additional weight to the nose, just the batteries pushed forward, while others claim even up to 3 oz! more weight added.

What do you think?  What is your comment.  What would you or have you done?  Do you have any explanation for these discrepancies between F9F models? 

Your comments and explanations are greatly appreciated.

Look forward to hearing from you. 

Maq

Comment

RE: F9F Panther Discussion

The plane flys great ! The things your reading and getting bothered by is with and without landing gear . That's where the CG differences are coming from . 
      I put landing gear on and had to add a good bit of weight to the nose . I put it behind the nose cone . When the gear is added the battery doesn't slide up as far and there is the reason for additional weight . With the 1600 battery that is recommended I get 3 minutes flying the it needs to land .
      Some people hand launch and belly land . I just prefer gear .

Hope this helps . If you go to the Hanger area you can see a post of it flying I put up . If you any issues or problems please just ask , anyone here will be glad to help .

Bryan 
      But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie 64
        The plane flys great ! The things your reading and getting bothered by is with and without landing gear . That's where the CG differences are coming from . 
        I put landing gear on and had to add a good bit of weight to the nose . I put it behind the nose cone . When the gear is added the battery doesn't slide up as far and there is the reason for additional weight . With the 1600 battery that is recommended I get 3 minutes flying the it needs to land .
        Some people hand launch and belly land . I just prefer gear .

Hope this helps . If you go to the Hanger area you can see a post of it flying I put up . If you any issues or problems please just ask , anyone here will be glad to help .

Bryan 
        [hr]
        Hey thanks for the reply and the info Hippie 64.  I wondered what was up. But, that makes sense.

I got everything measured for the CG though I'm not 100% sure if I'm setting the CG to the correct place.  The Manual has two different settings. One page says 45mm is the place to set the CG and another page says 36mm, then you say 1 and 1/2 inches which is about 40mm.

So I was going to go with your suggestion at 1.5 inches or 40mm.  In order for my model to balance at 40mm. I'll have to add 2 - 1/4 oz lead sticky weights.  Did you have to add weight to balance?  I seem to see others on the webpage that indicate that they do not use extra weight, just the battery pushed forward.

What is everyone else doing?

Maq

Comment

Yes I added 3 or 3 of the 1/4 oz weights . Are you using gear ? I set my CG at what the book said . 
          EDF planes can be twitchy so very little moves on your sticks when flying . Couple flights n you'll be fine . 
          The demo flight that Ryan n Mike did was hand launched , no gear , and battery slide all the way forward . How are you setting CG , fingers or machine? If your using a machine set for what the book calls for . If not let me know n I'll measure to give you the info. 

Bryan 
          But Crashing is Landing

Comment

On mine after crashes due to being to light in front I put my 2200 3cell all the way foward as far as it would go. It worked out ok, this plane you want to hand launch it at a even level.

and it doesnt like to much head wind

Comment

F9F Panther is awesome war plane, my dad have one.

Comment

I love my f9f panther, just push the battery forward as far as it'll go and it will fly great. Once you get used to it, drop in a 4 cell. What a difference. I've found that the further forward battery is the better it'll fly.

Comment

My son has one.... I've sort of "borrowed" it.... LOL! And yes, that battery has to be all the way forward. I also put a 1/2 ounce of lead right under the front canopy magnet and we fly with no landing gear.
                  Lauren

Comment

wish someone would make a f9 that was say 1100 or 1200mm with retracts..we have every other jet out there practically

woops just found one over on hobbyking

Comment

I'm attaching a link to a previous thread that may interest you. I have a couple of posts that show my 12 Blade fan upgrade running
                      on a four cell 2200mah pack . She's a hot rod now ;)

If your pack's not swellin, you're not gellin ...

Comment

Maq,

You will enjoy the little guy and it will probably become on of your favorite EDFs to just have fun with. I love mine.

I read The post link mentioned by The Huff and I did my 12 blade fan upgrade slightly different than everyone else and I have had no problems as of yet.

My Panther configuration as of now:

} I do not have the landing gear installed and my bird is hand launched. I put 4 layers of 2" wide clear packing tape on the bottom to protect the belly on landings.
                        } I trimmed the front of the battery tray back to the second rail of the tray. On mine this is the rail where the Velcro straps were screwed in to hold down the battery.
                        } I set my 3S 2200 mah battery ALL the way forward into the fuse and use the Velcro straps as a belt loop to hold the battery forward not to hold it down.
                        } I replaced the stock 30amp ESC with a 45amp ZTW mantis ESC zip tied to one of the plastic cheater vanes in the belly.
                        } I run the stock 2627-4300KV motor on the freewing 12 blade 64mm fan as a 3S system.
                        } I had to add 3/4 oz. of tail weight to balance the plane.

My overall impression of the upgrade is simply " Nice. " I get that beautiful turbine woosh sound but no real increase or decrease in speed or performance. The most significant change I can visually see is that its acceleration from low speed to full throttle is like, " RIGHT NOW !!! " and the vertical performance is sooo much better. My flight time is still short since I like to keep her flying at 1/2 throttle most of the time and I end up getting 3 & 1/2 minute flights with my battery finishing up roughly at 30%.

All in all, well worth the upgrade and the Panther flies just as wonderful as she did stock out of the box with an investment of no more than $35 and no new batteries to buy.

Comment

Just ordered one with landing gear...had one about 6 years ago...I remember really bad tail heavy maiden last time...will put some lead in the nose this time for sure. Will post pics and/or video later..Russ

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170706_172037.jpg Views:	2 Size:	107.7 KB ID:	85863 Received mine in great shape. The build went well. Haven't maiden yet. I also read a ton of reviews concerning c.g.
                            I have admiral 3s 2200. Can't push battery to far forward under magnets without cutting the tray. When i set her up to check cg she's pretty much spot on.
                            Also I upgraded to an 40amp es

Comment

I read many pages of reviews here at MRC in an attempt to get a handle on the CG
                              issue, prior to purchasing. There seems to be several scenarios that have worked for people depending upon
                              the size of the battery and whether or not you use the optional landing gear.

I decided to follow one such scenario and didn't even check the CG after my build. I just followed this
                              formula blindly since it seemed to work well for others and there is so much confusion over
                              what the actual CG should be.

1. No landing gear
                              2. 1800 mah Admiral 3s battery shoved as far to the front as it will go (It will go
                              farther without the landing gear which is why point #1 is relevant).
                              3. Gentle level hand launch at shoulder height. Do not push hard and do not push upward.

It launches perfectly level each time. Very stable with no tendency to want to pitch upward.
                              Flies perfectly!

Comment

Hi.
                                I’ve been reading all of the posts on the F9F freewing panther. I’ve just finished mine. I must say I’m also confused re the CG. I’ve managed to get it balanced out 45mm but it is very sensitive, just a touch and it will tip to the nose or the tail. Using a 1800mah 3s battery. Also the throttle doesn’t cut in until I’ve moved the throttle up to almost half power. Love the model and looking forward to flying it, although feeling very nervous. I do not have the gear on I’m hand launching it.
                                Russ.

Comment

I'm balanced right at the servo wires, keep throws and ele slight as she is really twitchy it the throws are too high. She can snpl if you pull too much ele.

good luck, happy landings
                                  rc flyin addict

Comment

Russ...Have you calibrated your throttle. My throttle comes in like the rest of my aircraft, about 1/8 or less. About 10%. It flys well nose heavy. An admiral 1800 pushed all the way fwd results in a very smooth flying aircraft. Launch like throwing a big dart. Straight and level is best. Dont toss it upward or it will stall. As you move the cg back it will allow it to flare more but thats not really needed. She skids very well. Its one of the oldest planes i have and i still love it.
                                    Still flying P.15, avanti(#2), mig 21, yak 130 70mm(#2), f35, f9f panther, a10 64mm, F8 crusader/ PA ultimate amr /HK skipper, durafly dh vampire, p 51,spit mk24, corsair, flybeam/ BH f86 50mm, deltawing 50mm/ HH su 26 mm,umx pitts,umx sbach, blade nano cp s,blade 450x, inductrix 200, inductrix pro, umx yak 54,umx f27 fpv/ electrifly 4s L39/ flyzone beaver/ volantix asw 28, /dynam B26

RIP.. roc hobby waco,strega #2(you will be missed), Fw 90mm eurofighter.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I’ve never had to calibrate the throttle before so that will be something new for me. Anyway, thanks again and when the weather clears I will let you know how I make out. Russ

Comment

Russ I have the gear added to mine , I'm not a belly landing fan , and the 1800 is pushed up to almost against the steering servo . If gear is added it prevents you from placing the battery all the way forward and that's the reason for the added weights in the nose . Mine are behind the cone . Its fun to fly and 3-3 1/2 mins is all your going to get .

Grandson tried to clock it's speed but never got it

Another fun for the price is the Dynam Meteor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb6d-EfKKKI&t=201s

Bryan
                                        But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Working...
                                        X