X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMS P-51 V8 Retracts Break Often?

Just curious how others are doing with their P-51 retracts. I had one really crappy landing on my first flight but the other 4 or 5 landings I've had weren't all that shabby but it seems I break at least one retract per flight. Admittedly the fields I have flown it on are crappy and I may have to make sure I only fly it off tarmac but I thought I would ask first if anyone has had trouble with the plastic breaking where the retracts mount and if so, what did you do to alleviate the issue? I did switch to the the Dave Brown tires and I am thinking of using a shock absorbing matierial I use on my multirotors so that the retracts can't flex backwards when the wheel hits a tuft of grass. Have any of you done anything else? I also noticed that Turnigy makes retracts that are all metal. Anyone use them ever?
    Lauren

RE: FMS P-51 V8 Retracts Break Often?

Originally posted by Flygirl
    Just curious how others are doing with their P-51 retracts. I had one really crappy landing on my first flight but the other 4 or 5 landings I've had weren't all that shabby but it seems I break at least one retract per flight. Admittedly the fields I have flown it on are crappy and I may have to make sure I only fly it off tarmac but I thought I would ask first if anyone has had trouble with the plastic breaking where the retracts mount and if so, what did you do to alleviate the issue? I did switch to the the Dave Brown tires and I am thinking of using a shock absorbing matierial I use on my multirotors so that the retracts can't flex backwards when the wheel hits a tuft of grass. Have any of you done anything else? I also noticed that Turnigy makes retracts that are all metal. Anyone use them ever?
    This subject has come up on other forums; it should be noted that the new replacement part is different from the originals, both the 3-second and later 6-second versions. Many are hoping the new one is more robust, but, since the sidewalls are still plastic, that may only be a hope. Some have fitted the all-metal retracts from the 1700mm FMS planes, but that takes some wing modifications.

Comment

I have the 1450mm V.8 P-51. On my second flight, the little screw on the suspension slider fell out and I had to belly land it. After that incident, I put some Loctite on that screw and the gear has not given me any grief since. I fly off a very rough field. It's an undulating, mowed wild prairie field with lots of ridges and filled in gopher holes. I also fly it off 2 other runways. One is a prepared, rollered runway with a ground cover top and the other is a fairly plush, mowed grass. None of these fields have given any problems for this plane's retracts (stock).
      Oh, and my P-51 is a bit heavier as it's been modified to 6s.

Comment

Hello Lauren,
        As WintrSol has indicated, the newer retract ( http://www.motionrc.com/fms-servoless-e-retract-for-1400mm-planes/  )  is different from the original and that now comes on later ver8's. It is pretty rock solid because of the three metal tube cross braces between the servo plastic sidewalls. I obtained my ver8 "Marie" last Oct with this retract installed and I got better than a dozen flights on her with no issues(stock wheels too) before the crap weather hit in upstate NY. If you don't have those on yours, the 60 beans is a good investment upgrade.
        The following comment is a general statement for those pilots aspiring to be proficient at landing warbirds (anyone can fly em).
        The P-51 is like most warbirds, they have to be flown to the landing. Can't tell ya how many times I've seen videos on this forum and other sites where the pilots are trying to float them in like a trainer and dropping them in all outta whack. There is a lot of stress going on with that undercarriage/airframe when you have a 5lb bird being controlled by accelerated gravity which means landings are nothing more than a controlled crash and that requires lots n lots of practice. Folks at my club often remark on how I consistently grease landings and my basic response is to use the simulator and get the practice in.
        Best Regards,    
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

You nailed it war bird Charlie! ! I went from the FW Pandora to the FW P-51. To grease those landings most all the time, you have to fly it in. Keep The Speed Up!  Don't try to float it in like I could do with the Pandora. And I've found out then with the Pandora, to do like I do with the Mustang, FLY it in and your landings will be so much more consistent and smooth touchdowns.
          Lon
          Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
          Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

The same is true for the warbird trainers, like the T-28 and AT-6; they stop flying without warning, which is really rough on tricycle nose gear.

Comment

Originally posted by WintrSol
              The same is true for the warbird trainers, like the T-28 and AT-6; they stop flying without warning, which is really rough on tricycle nose gear.
              You betcha WintrSol, if it has the "warbird" in its description you had better up your game!
              Warbird Charlie
              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I dunno fellas... I've tried it slow, I've tried it powered and greased (it totally collapsed that time on the right side). These are soccer fields that have been ripped up by cleats and are very bumpy. It's not good grass and it's not very even.... I think I better stick to the parking lot tarmac.
                Lauren

Comment

Lauren,
                  Do you have the newer retracts per the link I provided in my very first response??
                  Warbird Charlie

Comment

I don't understand  why FMS can make a metal retracts for the 1700 planes but not the 1400 planes. I have the new upgrade retracts on my FMS 1400 Corsair but I have flown it yet due to the poor weather in Chicago. I hope I don't break one because they only come in pairs unlike the P-51s that come singly. At 54.00 a pair not cheap! I don't understand why FMS does that. Good flying to everyone that has some good weather! 

Roy B.

Comment

Originally posted by OV10
                      Lauren,
                      Do you have the newer retracts per the link I provided in my very first response??
                      Yep.... Those are the ones Charlie. When they break, they break right on the angle of the "L" shaped plastic and they seem to break on the roll out, not at touch down although it's possible they are cracking then also. The last time I flew I tried to bring it in slow instead and it did kind of plop but then it just nosed over like it hit something after about 2 feet. I thought I hadn't broken them at the time but in going to replace a fairing door that caught in the grass I noticed cracks in both. I should have landed on the gravel road that was there but I thought the grass would make for a softer landing. The time I came in under power I thought was a beautiful landing. I looked so pretty but after about 20 feet the left gear collapsed. I'm going to try to put in some sorbathane pads I have so that the gear can't flex back so much in its mount when the wheels hit a rough patch or I think I should just stick to the paved parking lot. Better yet, I should go to the local AMA field which has a paved runway. The only problem with that is the guys in that club are heavy into 3D, not scale like I'm interested in.
                      Lauren

Comment

TBH I've been having the same issues as Lauren on my BBD, I've gone through about 2 or 3 sets of retracts. Mine crack at the same spot as well.

I've got Dave Brown tires on it, and really try to grease in the landings, but they still seem to crack after a while. I'm curious about the modifications to use the all metal retracts of the 1700mm planes?? if FMS came out with a 1400/1450mm all metal version, I'd be very interested lol

Comment

As a matter of interest, has anyone tried putting a set of Freewing 1400mm Mustang retracts on an FMS 1400mm Mustang?
                          The Freewings are all metal and I'm assuming tougher?

Just curious.

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

Gman,
                            When you said that the Freewing's were all metal, I couldn't get to the parts section fast enough for both the Iron Ass and Old Crow to look at them. Now when I get there all I see is plastic framed with metal trunion etracts just like the FMS. ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Don't be messin with my chemobrain  ;)
                            Warbird Charlie

Comment

Funny, because it says right on the Iron Ass main page:
                              Heavy duty, all metal shock absorbing retracts for maximum performance and reliability ( I copied and pasted this)
                              I would take that to mean:
                              Heavy duty all metal shock absorbing...........

Am I right?

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

Hey Lauren,
                                Totally understand your situation now. Your either gonna have to go to a full metal frame etract to continue flying in those field conditions or move to better conditions. Those things aren't made bullet proof in lateral shear strength especially when being subjected to a lot of deep ruts and the like. Kinda like with your car when you go 50mph through a mile stretch of 6in deep potholes, the tie rods and ball joints are eventually gonna break.
                                By the way, don't let those 3D guys shun you away. Just go show them how a gal flies a warbird !!!
                                [hr]
                                Gman,
                                They are referring to the struts not the etract itself.
                                Warbird Charlie

Comment

Flygirl; its not just you, I am reading about failed retracts all the time on RCG. I am thinking about fabricating a metal maybe aluminium case to replace the plastic case. Tomorrow after work I will fab up a prototype, if I like how the case turns out ill send you a set to test as well.
                                  Flight Risk (Sean)
                                  AMA # 986105

Comment

I'm replacing the stock wheels with Robart scale wheels; the tires are hollow, and absorb a lot more shock than the FMS wheels. I don't really expect issues, because I fly from a paved runway, but there ARE cracks to worry about.

Comment

Oh, okay, got you now.  I was looking at mine and see what you mean.  The strut itself is actually thicker, if that's a help, but good point, now the question is whether or not we can find an all metal retract.  Would be nice

Grossman56
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56
                                        Oh, okay, got you now.  I was looking at mine and see what you mean.  The strut itself is actually thicker, if that's a help, but good point, now the question is whether or not we can find an all metal retract.  Would be nice

Grossman56
                                        I think it is only a matter of time before we see all metal retracts  for the FMS 1400 series planes.

Seeing that FMS is offering all metal retracts for their 1700 series gives me hope that an all metal 1400 series retracts should not be too far behind.

Also, there are a number of 3rd party rc plane parts producers who offer a variety of replacement retracts.  The first company that comes up with and offers  all metal replacement retracts will do very well.

I know that when they finally appear I will be buying about a dozen sets.

Comment

Working...
                                        X