Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't count on an upgraded part. I don't think I have ever seen Horizon make an upgraded part, besides the nose gear on the A-10.

Comment

I'm thinking of maybe taking some fine strip brass, and seeing if I can form it around the part of the steering collar right under the fuselage, to strengthen the joint without inhibiting it at all.

Comment

It's worth contacting our friends at SmallPartsCNC, they create many aftermarket upgrade parts, and they're the only ones I can think of if you're looking for metal parts for parkflyers. They advertise on Hobby Squawk, but if you don't see their banner above, just navigate directly to their website, www.SmallPartsCNC.com
        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Thanks. Looking at many of the comments and reviews, if they made an aftermarket part out of metal, and kept the price reasonable, I'd bet they'd have a decent number of sales. I ordered two replacements directly from Horizon, figuring if the first one broke so easily, I'm not betting on the second one holding up for long, either. Yeah, the replacements are only $2.99, but that can add up if they need to be replaced frequently.

Comment

Sent an email to Small Parts CNC, asking about the part. I don't see it on their webpage yet, but asked if it might be in work, or if they might consider making one.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the folks with this plane wouldn't mind dropping a few bucks on an upgrade part for the steering linkage.

Comment

Operating mine off grass, I would be more than willing to buy an upgraded metal linkage for the nose gear. I added a servo saver to my nose gear and that should also extend the life of the nose gear linkage. The springs on the servo saver will allow the nose gear to turn either direction a few degrees and take some of the stress off the collar where the scissor linkage connects.

Comment

I came in too steep and broke the exact same part :^/ must be a common thing... Great flying, fun flying plane though!!

Comment

I sent Terry at Small Parts CNC a series of photos of the broken part and the associated parts, so he can get a good idea whether they can machine an upgrade for an affordable price.

Removing it took a little thinking. I ended up poking a small screwdriver through the top of the fuselage (there was a dot there that I think was intended to mark right where to do so), to unscrew the arm from the top of the strut-sleeve (for lack of knowing a better name for it). I'm not sure how long it will take to get the replacements from Horizon. I glued the broken tab back on for the photograph, so Terry could see what it should look like, but I wouldn't trust the glue to hold it well enough to handle a dirt runway landing.

One other question for owners - did anyone think the 3x8mm screws to secure the wing weren't quite long enough to adequately engage the threads? I picked up some 3x10mm, and will see how those feel. As much as the screws didn't want to come out after Thursday's flight, I don't think there was any danger of a wing falling off in flight, but even when I fit-checked the screws in a loose wing, it doesn't seem like they are long enough to really grip the threads on the opposite fitting. I think the 3x10 screws will hold better, and with a little more length to be pushed back up, probably easier to remove.

Comment

Hoomi, in my build video, I used the wrong screws for the wings and landing gear. I missed it in the manual and thought for sure the long screws attach the wing and small screws attach the gear, which is like almost every plane I assembled. I am sure the short screws are ok. When my Cherokee crashed, the screws held the plastic section of the wings to the fuselage, while the wings completely separated from the plastic part and spar. The wing screws are in double shear, so they are pretty strong. I would have thought there would have been way more thread engagement, but it seems to be strong enough to survive an accident in which the entire plane came apart.

Comment

One other reason I'm going to try the 3x10mm, is to see if that also makes it easier to reach the screws when removing the wing at the flying field.

I didn't get rid of the 3x8mm screws, so if it seems they don't fit right, I can switch right back to the original.

Comment

Slowly making progress on my Cherokee project. Started installing the fuselage graphics this weekend.
                        E-Flite Cherokee N9058J project by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

Comment

:Cool:Wow that’s outstanding work sir:Drooling:

Comment

Thanks Mrmat01, it is has been a long journey to get this one looking the way I wanted. I am hoping to get it assembled and photographed in front of the hanger the real one was based out of from 1966-1978 before winter takes over.

Comment

Finally got one wing and the stabilator installed. Waiting on adding the anti-slip surface to the other wing before I install it. Really happy with how it is turning out! Callie did an outstanding job with the graphics, cowl vents, and window vent.

Comment

Looks awesome! I might have to have Callie make graphics for mine. Didn't even think about it when I repainted my Cherokee.

Comment

Callie really knocked it out of the park with the Cherokee. She has the size and scale correct where everything fit as I had hoped. We only had a few pictures of the actual plane to work from and they were all at odd angles. She was able to use what was available and come up with the graphics. The cowl and window vents also were a nice touch that really made the plane stand out.

Comment

Replacement steering mounts arrived today. I bought two, figuring if the first broke that easily, it might be a good idea to always have a spare on hand.

Terry at Small Parts CNC is looking into buying a Cherokee for himself, so if everything works out, we might just have an upgrade steering mount available to us.

I should have the Servo Savers I ordered from MRC within the next week as well. I ordered two, figuring on installing one on the Cherokee, and if I can make it fit, one for the Sensei.

Comment

What is a "servo saver"?

Comment

Its a spring back device that keeps shock loads off the servo. Keeps the servo from shredding gears.

Comment

What RM said.;) Here's a link. https://www.motionrc.com/products/du...de-servo-saver
                                          It is old school however, before the advent of metal gear servo's.
                                          Adds another layer of variance into the control system whether it steering or surfaces.:Scared:
                                          Warbird Charlie
                                          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Working...
                                          X